Author Topic: Card making for Charities  (Read 3156 times)

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
Card making for Charities
« on: January 07, 2015, 09:47:01 AM »
I mentioned in the chat thread that there has been times I think about making cards for charities, but I get intimidated.   :-\   I have read some cardmakers donate to troops, and I thought I have read other places that were mentioned (maybe that was on Twopeas), but I do not remember the places mentioned. 

At any rate, I was wondering: has anyone here donated cards they made or had ideas for such a thing (local or national)?  and if so can you share your experience and process and any other tips/suggestions?  I was thinking this thread could be a reference and discussion for this topic.

~~Melissa :)

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
Re: Card making for Charities
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 09:48:05 AM »
One thing I think about sometimes is donating to hospitals or maybe just sending cards to those in hospitals.....but I'm not sure who you contact for this or if it's even allowed to send patients cards or to donate cards to hospitals....

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 10:19:09 AM »
I have definitely heard of donating cards to hospitals.  Although they weren't home made, when my DS was in the NICU, they gave us cards on holidays like Mother's day and so on with his footprint inside.  You would contact the social work department to see if your local hospitals accept these donations.

http://operationwritehome.org

Operation Write Home is the main one I know about for troop cards provided to them to send home.  There is also a way to send a card directly to a solidier with an encouraging message inside.

I believe Craft Nerd donates to OWH.  I have read on their blog that they do not need as many donations anymore as less troops are actively deployed.
~~Heidi~~

Offline SWLady

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 09:07:03 AM »
Here is a link from Cardmaker magazine of charities they donate to:

http://www.cardmakermagazine.com/makeadifference.php

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 10:02:48 AM »
Thank you Kathy and Heidi for the links!  and thank you Heidi for sharing your own experience with getting cards while in the hospital and also who to contact.  It is nice to know they were thinking of the families. 

I know and have seen that getting cards to some is important and cherished/appreciated (others do not give it another thought after reading the card) and I've been thinking off and on how it would be nice to give that to someone (though you're not going to know how it makes them feel...but that's beside the point). 

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2015, 07:11:14 PM »
Melissa, I've been donating to OWH for years.  It was started by a stamper who used to be on TwoPeas.  Heidi is right, there has been a reduction in need at OWH due to the draw down in the Middle East. 

You should definitely check out the website before working on cards for OWH because there are several restrictions - no glitter (it is a danger for the soldiers) and only 4.25 x5.5 cards (to maximize the number that fit in the flat rate boxes).  There are a few others.

With the draw down, I've been trying to come up with a new place to donate.  I did come across this blog but I haven't donated to them yet:
send a smile 4 kids
Sarah

Offline Vroni_garmisch

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2015, 07:55:35 AM »
I donate most the cards I make, we are stationed overseas so I just bring them to our local USO :-)

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2015, 10:54:21 AM »
Thank you Sarah and Vroni for the additional ideas for donating! 

Sarah that smile 4 kids is a great idea....I have to look more into requirements and also see if our hospital has a similar thing. 

Vroni (is that short for "Veronica"?)--it is neat that you can take them to your local USO---I see there are few here in TX I might can look into!

Offline Vroni_garmisch

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2015, 11:05:48 AM »
Yes Vroni is short for veronica my German grandma called me that - it is the " official" German nick name for veronica apperantly ..we are stationed in Germany right now and I have yet to meet another Vroni ;-)

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2015, 11:22:18 AM »
Oh that is so neat about your name Vroni!  I was thinking it was just a clever use of letters for your name!  lol! TFS!   :smile:

Offline Utah Ann

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2015, 05:35:48 PM »
I also have been donating to OWH for many years, but with the cut back, I have now branched out to http://www.cardsforhospitalizedkids.com/  Cards for Hospitalized Kids.  Have sent in two boxes since October and am starting on a third.  This appealed to me because I love making cards for children  and this is a good cause. 

Still send a few to OWH, but they are asking for the best of best cards.  There may still be another that was Operation Quiet Comfort - but I haven't checked to see what there status has been in the last couple of months.

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2015, 01:34:07 PM »
Thank you Ann!  I'll look into the link and information you provided.  I haven't made too many cards----actually now that I think about it---I don't think I have ever made a card for a young child.  I have made congratulation cards for new babies, but not for anyone under age 18!  I'll have to try to make one soemtime. 

Offline Utah Ann

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2015, 01:04:56 PM »
Actually I believe the age for Children's Hospital might be under 16 or 18. 

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2015, 11:32:10 AM »
Melissa, if you are still interested in donating cards, Sandy from OWH did a video this past week on how donations have slowed considerably. I've never donated but I think I will look into it. Her OWH channel has lots of info and inspiration on its. Just thought I'd share :)
LeighAnn

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2015, 01:32:00 PM »
Thank you Sarah!  I'll look into too!  Now that things will hopefully be settling down here at home, I hope I can get more a game-plan on donations etc.  Thanks for the info!