Author Topic: Enabling yourself to craft more?  (Read 1822 times)

Offline SWLady

• Stampers
Enabling yourself to craft more?
« on: January 26, 2015, 09:48:00 AM »
Hi all,

I was wondering what you all do to make it easier to craft for yourself. Things like... cutting cardstock into 5 1/2 by 4 1/4 pieces to have ready to stamp onto. Or keeping certain things out on your desk so they are more readily available.

I sometimes find that the preparation for stamping takes longer than the actual stamping and I could do more if I had some things ready.

I have an ok desk area, approx 2 ft by 2 ft that could be my designated stamping area. But what else could I do beside having precut papers?

Right now my desk is a mess! LOL. and I reorganized all my stuff with the "Totally Tiffany" videos. That actually seems to have made things worse! Before everything was kind of where I knew it was, now it's all organized by color and it's not really working for me, hehehe.

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Re: Enabling yourself to craft more?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 09:58:18 AM »
 For me, I think that being organized is good, but not the factor that gets me crafting. I think being organized has to help you be aware of your supplies so you will use them.  Being too organized means that the items are tucked so far away (IMO) that you won't get them out and use them.

The things that help me get crafting are challenges.  I try to do most every challenge on AI and some elsewhere.  I also make self imposed challenges.  Such as using a certain stamp, or doing a technique I saw on Pinterest, getting a certain number of Valentines made to send out, etc. 

Maybe you could keep a list of ideas out and then work on an idea each time you sit down.  Not all of them will work out.

I am interested in what everyone else might say! I bet you will get a variety of ideas and then you can see what works for you!

~~Heidi~~

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 11:21:20 AM »
I was just thinking about this this morning Kathy!   :smile:

One thing I know for me helps me craft is having a cleaned off work area---kinda feels like a clean, fresh slate to create on.  I clean up each time I finish a project before starting the next (if I can that is...).

I do think organization is good and does help with enabling craft time-----BUT your area/things need to be organized how you can work...it's neat to see/try other's ideas for how they organize things, and that can help you figure out what does work for you----but learn from it and take what did work from Totally Tiffany and leave what didn't work for you... 

This morning, I had an idea after reading "Stamping Mathilda"'s email blog posting....she made a card using one of her photographs and this idea is something I really want to do, but I was thinking how it'd be neat if I try an "idea-a-day" based off of either email postings I get or something I see off of pinterest, etc.  I see so many things I think are neat and I try to remember them to do, but before I know it, a couple months have passed and I haven't even tried one!  So I am hoping this "idea-a-day" will help get me started!

Also I want to try Jan's idea she mentioned last year of just crafting 10 minutes a day.  I can see how this idea could be applied in different ways: 10 minutes a day only or 10 mintues throughout the day a few times, 10 minutes each day working on the same project all week, 10 minutes working on a technique only (like coloring)....etc. 

I have read that some stampers will stamp out a few images ahead of time and have them waiting for them to be used or colored or cut out etc.  Seems to me that would take some planning ahead of the cards you want to make and deciding what images you want to use and how----I only decide on the card's image and technique when I start the card---I don't plan ahead often.  :)   But that idea would be neat to try---especially with Christmas cards.

HTH!  or at least can help start brainstorming!   ;)
~~Melissa :)

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 11:56:52 AM »
Great 'Q', Kathy! O0 It's very similar to what I've run into when potential writers ask "how can I write?".

The short answer? Just craft! Your craft area is messy? So what! Pull a stamp, paper & ink from the mess & use them. Voila! You're crafting more!

Want more tips? Fine. Give yourself a block of time to craft. Make it realistic, but 'sacred'. Contract yourself to crafting--not organizing, finding material, etc.--& just spending that time actively crafting. Does having a 'to-do' project help? Sometimes. But it's more about getting into the routine of crafting on whatever regular basis you can realistically achieve--an hour or two daily, weekly, etc.

The majority of us are (probably) not looking to turn our crafting into a profession. That said, I've run into writers who are in the same place. They write because they 'must'. It feeds their creative need. Same for us.

Those who have shared their satisfaction with craft as writers (pro & non-pro) state that setting up a rigid period has benifited them.

Daniel

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 02:25:42 PM »
Great topic, Kathy! I really enjoyed reading Daniel, Heidi's and Melissa's thought process!

Last year, I started making myself take 1 -2 evenings a week to craft. Its hard because it seems like theres always something that needs done but it really does me good to take time out for something I enjoy doing.

A few things that I do that help me-
I have a clear sterilite bin that I toss remnants of PP, ribbon, card stock, diecuts, etc into. Once it gets full, I try to use it up making cards just from that. It doesn't take long to make some cards from it and its kind of fun seeing how to make things work from my scraps.

Sometimes, I take an evening and stamp out a bunch of images to color while watching a movie or tv, or making phone calls.  I enjoy coloring and find it relaxing to do. I usually have a good stock pile of images ready to go for cards this way too.

I used to not be able to craft unless the whole house was clean. I gave up on that dream a long time ago :laughhard:.

I don't have a craft room so I do my work from the kitchen table. I have a 12x12 iris clear case for my most used tools, one for my inks, and one that houses my a few sheets of cardstock and stamps that I want to use or projects that I'm working on. It makes clean up really quick and easy and keeps me somewhat organized. I still keep losing my white gel pen, stardust pen and bone folder though! I should probably start taping them to the inside of the lid!
LeighAnn

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 10:18:49 PM »
I have read that some stampers will stamp out a few images ahead of time and have them waiting for them to be used or colored or cut out etc.  Seems to me that would take some planning ahead of the cards you want to make and deciding what images you want to use and how----I only decide on the card's image and technique when I start the card---I don't plan ahead often.  :)   

I'm the exact opposite - I tend to plan out most of my projects before I even start.  Especially when I was making a lot of cards for OWH.  I would stamp a ton of images on the weekend and then bring them to work and color them during my lunch hour.  The downside is I tend to stamp way more images than I have time to color and assemble into cards.  So I have a large stash of half finished projects. 

That being said, I find that having a plan helps to get me crafting.

I also find it easier to craft when my space is clean and organized because then I don't end up spending forever looking for stuff.  I agree with Melissa about needing to organize your stuff in a way that works for you. (I think I'm going to start up the monthly getting organized thread again next month).

And Daniel has some excellent points.  Sometimes you just need to sit down and craft.

Sarah

Offline SWLady

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 09:35:38 AM »
Good ideas from everyone! I am still in the process of reorganizing my desktop. I found some cool stuff I forgot I had, hehehe.

The organization I have now is not working for me, so I am going to have to think of something else. And I am like pug, I feel like I can't craft unless the whole house is clean. That really messes me up, lol.

So I am going to try a few of these ideas and I'll keep you all posted!

Thanks!

Offline Canadian, eh

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2015, 06:04:01 PM »
A clean space is what gets me motivated.  Currently I'm reorganizing my craft room (aren't we all?) so the top of my desk is in a mess so I've been working in the dining room where I can watch TV and look out my balcony window. 

Because I'm working in the dining room, it forces me to clean up totally after each session.  Now to just get to the stamp room desk (the shelves are finally organized).
Beth