Author Topic: Using Glitter on a Stamped Image  (Read 2143 times)

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
Using Glitter on a Stamped Image
« on: February 05, 2015, 10:14:02 AM »
I really would like to use some glitter on a stamped image, but I am not sure how to go about doing so, so that you see the image stamped.  The image is a mermaid and I wanted to color her tail and then glitter it.

I know there is sticky EP---but I think I would have to use Versamark pen to color her fin then apply the EP?  (I haven't tried this yet, so I am mainly talking out loud here brainstorming).

I saw on Heidi's KIT that she used glue and glitter, but Heidi, did this cover up coloring or images under it?

I also know there are double sided tapes and paper, but I wasn't sure how to use this with a stamped image.

Please share any thoughts or how you use glitter on your stamped images.  and any glitter tips might be helpful too.  I would like to use glitter and I'm tired of being "afraid" of it!     :D
~~Melissa :)

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Re: Using Glitter on a Stamped Image
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2015, 10:24:36 AM »
My first thought was to use the Versamark pen.

You could add sticky embossing powder and then glitter, OR if you have any of the glitter embossing powder, use that. OR you could use some clear embossing powder and mix in some of your own glitter and emboss with that.

For my lily of the valley, I did not color under the flowers. I used Mono multi glue, but I probably should have used something else.  I am going to buy some multi matte medium, I wonder if that would work since it is supposed to dry matte and clear.  Or if you are going for glossy, how about glossy accents to apply the glitter.

This is all stream of consciousness.  Hope it gives you some new ideas!  It sounds like a fun project!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2015, 10:41:29 AM »
LOL, Melissa... Be Not Afraid! :smitten:

Heidi has good suggestions--as usual! O0

Here's mine... Check out 'Tulip' paints. See if you can find 2 of their glitter ones--Glitter & Crystals. The regular glitter paint has colored glitter in a clear base. When you apply them to a stamped image the glitter shows, but the image shows, too.

Their Crystals line is different. The glitter is all 'clear', but the base is colored. When applied over an image, the base color will affect the under color. BUT... the base applied will usually allow you to see the under image. HTH!
Daniel

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2015, 10:43:45 AM »
OOoooo!  I never thought about glossy accent and glitter!!!   :D  I am so curious to how that'd work! 

What ever I do, I'll post about it.  Thank you for the ideas---they are great for helping me brainstorm for this project, but also for future ones.  I can refer back to this post in the future to try these ideas!  Thanks Heidi!   O0

thank you Daniel for your product suggestion!  I will research it----which does remind me that I have some Tulip glitter paints for fabric that I could experiment with too! Thanks Daniel!   O0

I read the Splitcoast Stamper newsletter yesterday and she was using dies cuts and double sided tape--thus what she was doing is different than what I am trying to do---but at any rate, she used microfine clear glitter and THEN colored the glitter with alcohol markers.  I suppose I can try that with the Versamark pen and sticky EP....but I am not sure I have MICROglitter.  I didn't even know there are differences in glitter!!

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2015, 10:58:50 AM »
WTG, Melissa! Yes. Tulip originally was sold as fabric paint. That's where I met in back in '80s. Guess what? It works on paper/CS, too! BTDT, pal.
Daniel

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2015, 11:15:22 AM »
A real easy peasy way to apply glitter is to use glitter glue. I just love that stuff. Stickles is the best. Oh, Melissa, I have colored using copics on regular glitter and it works just fine, you don't have to have the micro fine glitter.

Stampwilly
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 11:17:16 AM by stampwilly »

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2015, 12:08:03 PM »
Glitter glue!  I will have to see if I have any in all my glues I pick up!  I seem to recall some glitter glue coming with some martha stewart glitter I got once, but it was really thick---is it suppose to be that way?

The closest thing I have to tickles is some Elmer's glitter glue---and I did try that on my sampler....

I have a glitter sampler drying that I'll post this afternoon---just waiting to see if any of the liquid blues I used dry flatter than they are right now before showing. 

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2015, 03:25:14 PM »
Here is an overview of the glitter sample I made:

overview of sampler

Here is the zoomed in view:

zoomed glitter

I am really glad that I did this samlpler and now have it as a reference for future projects. 

Doing this sampler, helped me decide that I was trying to figure out how to use the bottles of glitter on my projects, rather than the glue pens to apply glitter.  I am amazed that the sticky EP held the glitter as well as it did, seeing as I had trouble with flock and sticky EP last month.  But the glitter on the sticky EP looks kinda like the glitter is laying flat and lined up----but I really don't know how else it would lay.  lol!

I had trouble coloring the clear glitter with markers, water-based or alcohol.  Of course the glitter would come off, though there was enough on the image to not matter, but the markers took along time to color the glitter.  I ended up switching between dabbing the marker on the image and lightly, lightly brushing it.....maybe that is why it took so long to color the glitter--I was scared of rubbing the glitter off with the marker OR tearing up the marker tip with the rough glitter.

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2015, 10:48:10 AM »
Well in the end, I decided to not use the mermaid stamp, since I think I already made this person a birthday card using the stamp (haven't looked at my photos to see though).  Instead, I used my stamp that is a bottle with a poppy in it and I colored the poppy flower red, then applied the Tulip glitter fabric spray with a toothpick over the red (I had a Tulip red glitter fabric spray that matched the same red poppy I colored). 

Now this doesn't get me out of my quest to conquer my glitter fear!  lol!  I really did like the coverage the wet adhesives gave for the glitter.  I know the sticky EP looks good on the camera, but I am not sure I care for it IRL---you can see through the glitter--which is what I wanted of course, but it also doesn't show enough of the image below to be see-thru, thus the effect comes across as messy (kinda clumpy/thin) glitter IMO.  :-\ 

I still wish I could color the glitter better--I will try that method again and not be so careful next time. 

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2015, 09:46:27 PM »
Melissa, I loved your glitter experiment!

I have such a hard time with loose glitter.  I mainly stick to using stickles or the dollar bin version ones. I also love the Sakura stardust pen for adding shimmer.

For loose glitter I've used Tombow mono multi, glossy accents and a Zig glue pen. The glue pen works great for small or detailed areas.
LeighAnn

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2015, 01:36:16 PM »
Melissa - your sampler is great.  And that mermaid is too cute.

Since I was making most of my cards for OWH for the last several years, I haven't used much loose glitter.  I tend to use stickle when adding glitter.  But Stampwilly hosted a challenge last year (I think) where you colored with the image with the glitter.  So I've got a pack of different colors of glitter that I need to use more. 
Sarah