Author Topic: Gesso Resist Challenge (2/21-03/01) WINNER ANNOUNCED :)  (Read 17372 times)

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
Re: Gesso Resist Challenge (2/21-03/01)
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2015, 11:46:43 AM »
I haven't used gelatos before so I do not know really what to expect---I saw on a video once where the girl made a line with her gelato stick and rubbed it in with her finger and it blended so fast!  I tried to do the same and after a bit it did start blending into the BG---maybe my fingers were too cold to begin with.  But it kinda coated the gesso in a silver color--kinda looked silver-leafed!  But I think that came off when I started rubbing.

The gelatos remind me of some eyeshadows I used to see in the store--not sure what they are called, but I remember them being creamy---looked like eyeshadow mixed with a thick cream to me, but I never wore them since I knew they'd come off with how my eyelids are (and I don't wear makeup now so I'm not sure they make it anymore).

From what I can tell, my gesso is real thin--despite it is thick on the sponge---but it stamped real thin.  I let it dry overnight with out really meaning to, but never got back to it.  I think I was just trying to get ever bit of color off ....

Thank you Jan for your help too!  I'm determined to figure this out bc the results are so neat!
~~Melissa :)

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2015, 11:55:46 AM »
even though I used gel medium instead of gesso, I took a baby wipe very softly over mine and it came right up, I don't think it needs to be very damp at all.

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2015, 12:56:35 PM »
Thanks Connie for the suggestion!  I'll try less water.

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2015, 03:15:24 PM »
Hooray, Heidi! I'm so glad you were able to get it to work. Love your card!

More good tips! Thanks Jan and Connie O0

Melissa, I like playing with gelatos but find them a little tricky to work with. I wonder if you need a fixative to set them?
LeighAnn

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2015, 04:49:29 PM »
I'm wondering if I am applying the gesso wrong--I have been brushing it on using a sponge brush....maybe I should pounce it instead on the stamp with the foam brush.

I made another BG on watercolor paper and the gesso doesn't really lighten at all---it's like I colored the gesso instead of it resisting it...unless my gesso is not a good quality (I have Michael's brand, Artist's Loft).

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2015, 05:05:25 PM »
I'm wondering if I am applying the gesso wrong--I have been brushing it on using a sponge brush....maybe I should pounce it instead on the stamp with the foam brush.

I made another BG on watercolor paper and the gesso doesn't really lighten at all---it's like I colored the gesso instead of it resisting it...unless my gesso is not a good quality (I have Michael's brand, Artist's Loft).

IDK if it helps, but I did do the pouncing with my foam brush.  Maybe try heat setting it if you haven't tried that yet?
~~Heidi~~

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2015, 05:37:59 PM »
Melissa--LeighAnn said "Using a paintbrush or foam brush, lightly paint on a layer of gesso."  So that is what I did. I did not bounce I used a foam brush and painted the gesso on my stamp. However Heidi said she bounced successfully so that must not be an issue. I use the black foam brush-10/$1 variety.  I am not familiar with a sponge brush.  My gesso was thick not thin as LA suggested so I smoothed it out a little by pressing it with my palette knife against my craft mat and that made it smooth and easier to add to coat my stamp.

Have you tried just using the distress inks?  You mentioned earlier you were trying to use a silver gelato....there are no metallic colors in the distress inks nor regular watercolors since they also contain metals and other properties and they react differently.

I agree with trying to dry with heat gun.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 06:01:34 PM by Far North »

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2015, 06:53:34 PM »
I used distress inks and then drew a line with the gelato across the page that I rubbed in.  Then I rubbed the stamped areas only and all them do not lighten....

I meant foam brush, Jan---I got "sponge brush" on my mind b/c of the sponge applicators used with the distress inks. 

Now when y'all suggest heat gun--am I to use the heat gun to dry the gesso after i have cleaned up my stamps and foam brush?

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #53 on: February 25, 2015, 07:28:39 PM »

Now when y'all suggest heat gun--am I to use the heat gun to dry the gesso after i have cleaned up my stamps and foam brush?

yes :)
~~Heidi~~

Offline Utah Ann

• Stampers
« Reply #54 on: February 25, 2015, 07:35:42 PM »
I have my gesso image stamped and dried.  I understand that part.  Now comes the part I am struggling with.  Am I to color the stamped image or the background.   I just can't get my head wrapped around this.  My first image was a butterfly with open spaces and the second is a background stamp with positive and negative spaces. 

Pretty much decided to use the flower background stamp because of the positive and negative areas.  Probably will use it for an ATC.  Now how to color it.

I hope I have made myself clear.  I will put this aside for now and work on another project.

Help.

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #55 on: February 25, 2015, 08:52:21 PM »
Ann - like with other resist techniques, you color over the whole piece and then wipe off the gessoed area.  The gesso is supposed to resist the ink.
Sarah

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2015, 08:53:02 AM »
Ann, Sarah is right. I found that distress inks tend to work the easiet for me.

I can't wait to see your alls entries, Melissa and Ann!
LeighAnn

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2015, 05:04:36 PM »
I thought it was funny that I saw a new blog post today for this technique:  http://ablognamedhero.blogspot.com/2015/02/gesso-resist-technique.html

LeighAnn is a trendsetter!
~~Heidi~~

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2015, 06:56:12 PM »
WTG LeighAnn, you trendsetter!  TY for the link Heidi!

I am going to have to take a photo and show y'all the three I did---all are not white--just darker colors of what I used to distress....which is neat too, just not what the resist is suppose to do....I think it's my gesso, bc remember how I had it crack on my journal page a few months ago and others said they have not had gesso crack on them before.....though at the time I thought it was the embossing I was covering up that cracked it....but maybe not.....

I'm still going to make my samples into something b/c they look nice--well except for the first one that has peeled CS...

Offline Utah Ann

• Stampers
« Reply #59 on: February 28, 2015, 06:46:39 AM »
Here is my card for this challenge.  I really did enjoy this challenge and will be using using it again.

Thanks for the challenge

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?pid=1164&message_id=aacc7ac1986cd0ea6f02d3d837f06853&message_icon=info#cpgMessageBlock