Author Topic: Planning alcohol ink challenges  (Read 4641 times)

Offline Far North

• Stampers
Planning alcohol ink challenges
« on: March 03, 2015, 12:57:17 PM »
I plan to begin a round of alcohol ink challenges to begin late next week.  Do you have any thoughts or special requests for me to consider?
Thanks!..Jan

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
Re: Planning alcohol ink challenges
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 01:13:43 PM »
I'm super excited about these AI challenges!  I'm going to go pick out some AIs today (using my Joann's 50% off coupon at Michaels---encase anyone else needs to also).

Do we need certain CS?  I have some glossy CS and regular CS, but is there anything else---cereal boxes/chip board or kraft paper etc?   

~~Melissa :)

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 01:57:25 PM »
Honestly, I just am excited to use my new supplies. I have the inks, mixitives, glossy cs, felt pads and blending solution.  So I think that is about all I would need, right? Except maybe stamps and inks.

I did write in the WF 5 things chatty game that i want to try the resisit technique where you stamp off with the Archival ink.  Since everyone probably does not have that ink, I do not know if it is a good challenge. 
~~Heidi~~

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 02:06:09 PM »
Do I need to get a second applicator?  I have tons of felt from my sewing hobby so I can cut up my own as I read Jan does---but I wasn't sure if the foam applicator I had for distress inks I can use with the felt?

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 02:29:33 PM »
Melissa asked: "Do we need certain CS?  I have some glossy CS and regular CS, but is there anything else---cereal boxes/chip board or kraft paper etc.?" 

Jan:Thanks for you comment and question...Alcohol ink's are created for use on nonporous surfaces.  So you can add AI to such things as glossy cardstock, plastic, glass, metal, acetate....etc.  All the later can be recycled items.

Basic supplies needed to color with alcohol inks- protection for your work surface, a minimum of 2-3 alcohol inks; mixatives optional; blending tool with Velcro-can use wood block such as a block with stamp removed, felt for on blending tool-can buy a sheet (not recommended by Leigh Ann see Reply #8) or yard to cut your own; blending fluid- some say they are okay with rubbing alcohol instead but I suggest buying one bottle of Ranger's and do your own comparison. One of the best feature of Ranger's is the plastic tip for release a small amount at a time...so you could possibly refill the bottle.  A bottle usually lasts me a couple years.  And of course stamps and inks.

Hello Heidi, I see you responded before I posted the above.--I think you got the basics fine...just remember that while you are creating with AI to cover your work surface cause sometimes things happen like dropping an Ai blending tool or something beyond the craft sheet.  While the blending solution is a great cleaner you don't want to use a whole bottle for cleaning a mess..and the blending solution could remove the varnish/finish on your surface.  I just use a large trash bag and recycle for trash when I am done. 

And just watch your trash for a couple small things that could be repurposed into something colorful and useful.  We won't do this until week 3 or 4.  For example: Keep your eyes open for that 1 cute spice jar that could become a cute mini vase.

Thanks too for mentioning the resist technique since time got away from me and I didn't see your original post.
...Jan
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 12:29:16 PM by Far North »

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2015, 05:47:34 PM »
You don't necessarily need more than 1.  I have a couple spares but only for use when I am sharing AI with friends. Alcohol inks dry so quickly that I just continue working with 1 pad with multiple colors. If your blending tools that have Velcro on them yes you could use. I find the rectangle size and shape works better for AI.

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2015, 09:12:49 AM »
Thanks Jan for the supply list---it gives me an idea of what is needed since I haven't done this.  I still need to get some blending solution, since I bought "farmer's market" yesterday at Michael's.

I was kinda annoyed that Ranger doesn't list the color names of the bottles anywhere on the package itself (or bottle in the package)---thus I had to just go off the label color on the bottle to compare them at the store.   :-\ 

I'm glad you also mentioned that one could use wooden blocks with velcro---b/c I have both incase I figure out I need another applicator. 

And over the weekend someone thought of me and saved their tiny glass bottles for me--they're kinda like the medium-sized vanilla extract bottles you see in stores.-----so those may be great for what you have in store--if not, I'll just recycle them!  Win, win!   O0

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2015, 10:14:25 AM »
I'm looking forward to the challenges with alcohol inks. I really enjoy playing with them and have had them for a while now.

Just fyi- joanns. com has them on sale again, I think through the 7th?

One thing I noticed, I bought a sheet of felt, the kind that's in the kids craft section for around 10-20 cents and it didn't work very well at all. I don't know much about fabric so I asked my mother in law and she said she was pretty sure it has some sort of coating on it and obviously its a lower grade. I bought some at the fabric department, I think it was around a 1.00 for a 1/4 of a yard and it seems to work just as well as the kind you buy from Ranger.

Also, I experimented with photo paper and it didn't work very well at all. I thought it might be a good and easy to find substitute for glossy cardstock. Has anyone else tried that?
LeighAnn

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2015, 12:32:01 PM »
Leigh Ann-Thanks for your comments and tips.  Yes, I have tried photo and it curled and the top got all sticky..yup a real throw away mess. 

Melissa-yes, I don't have any AI with new package but all the ranger products are changing and recently came across the lack of color identification on other products. Personally I expect a much more informative and creative labeling from a ink and crafts company (especially after seeing the beauties from Stazon).  I can not read the info on the back even with a magnifying glass. 

New question-If you have tried a mixative  with AI...do you like the look?? 
Personally I have never have achieved a look with them that I like.  Mine end up as spots that block out the other colors...but I am going to work on trying to get some results I am happy with during the challenges. 

Thanks...jAN
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 12:57:54 PM by Far North »

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2015, 09:25:04 PM »
Now, I've used photo paper with AI and not had a problem.  Except when I tried heat embossing the paper - it bubbled and popped.

As for the mixatives, the problem I have is getting it mix sufficiently. The ball in the bottle tends to stick to the bottom.  So have the time, I have watered down mixative.  But when I manage to get it mixed completely, I've been fairly happy with the result.   But then again, I'm not bothered by the fact that it blocks out the other color because I usually add it as spots of metallic on the piece.

I'm looking forward to your challenges. 
Sarah

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2015, 11:58:01 AM »
I noticed that no stores in my area carry glossy CS--but at least you can buy it online.

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2015, 11:59:31 AM »
I noticed that no stores in my area carry glossy CS--but at least you can buy it online.

Have you looked for the small packs of Tim Holtz glossy paper.  They are 4.25 x 5.5 inches.  It may not be by the paper but is likely with the other Tim Holtz stuff. I think my Michaels carries it as well as AC Moore.
~~Heidi~~

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2015, 12:52:34 PM »
Like Heidi said my M's also has the paper with the Ranger products. Ranger packages the same paper as both glossy and alcohol ink paper.  Sarah said she had luck with some photo paper.  Perhaps it has a different coating but often it has an emulsion that reacts with the blending fluid making the surface sticky. But nonetheless you could try it. Or sometimes you can buy a couple sheets at a print shop like Kinkos or Office Max...of course that is more expensive but it may get you started.  Hope you find some so you can get started!

Thanks Sarah and Heidi for sharing!

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2015, 01:01:48 PM »
I am working on the challenge details at the moment.  Heidi-the resist technique you mentioned are you talking about where you stamp the AI with black archival and then rub off the ink to leave the stamp image white/clear?  I believe that one can also be stamped with stazon....but I'll check if that is the resist you mean...there are a couple other AI resist techniques so I wanted to make sure that is what you have in mind.  Thanks!

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2015, 02:57:17 PM »
I am working on the challenge details at the moment.  Heidi-the resist technique you mentioned are you talking about where you stamp the AI with black archival and then rub off the ink to leave the stamp image white/clear?  I believe that one can also be stamped with stazon....but I'll check if that is the resist you mean...there are a couple other AI resist techniques so I wanted to make sure that is what you have in mind.  Thanks!

Yes, that is the one.
~~Heidi~~