Author Topic: watercolor and cardstock comparison  (Read 4472 times)

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
watercolor and cardstock comparison
« on: July 14, 2015, 02:22:47 PM »
I know a lot of us here use watercolor markers and I found the blog and video post Catherine Pooler did on the comparison of different cardstock/paper and watercolor markers helpful. I'm not sure I have ever used Bristol paper but once I run out of my watercolor paper I would like to give it a try.
I also really like those zig clean color brush  markers!
Just thought I'd share! Her YouTube channel has a ton of technique videos and fun card ideas on it. I like that most or her videos are under 10 minutes too.

http://catherinepooler.com/2015/07/zig-distress-and-spectrum-aqua-markers-and-cardstock-comparison/
LeighAnn

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
Re: watercolor and cardstock comparison
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 02:16:36 PM »
LeighAnn, thanks for the link! I just bought Bristol water color paper (smooth) because I was using my Color Bursts and it seemed I needed better paper. I LOVE the Bristol paper. It hardly curls and the watercolors do great on the paper. I got it in the art section at Hobby Lobby and used my coupon. $6.99 for 20 sheet pad with coupon -- 100 lb. weight.

Stampwilly

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 02:20:14 PM »
I have used Bristol paper for a while because it is so smooth for stamping.  I do watercolor on it, but I have felt it can't take as much water as regular watercolor paper. I really want to check out your link!
~~Heidi~~

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 04:09:07 PM »
I am anxious to try it. Glad you all have had good results with it. I once had a pad of mixed media paper I loved for  watercoloring  techniques.It was really smooth and thick. I wonder how it would compare to Bristol paper. My only complaint was it was a pain to fussy cut images out of!
LeighAnn

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2015, 04:58:11 PM »
Really cool video. I want to do a comparison with the water based markers I have.  I have both the canson paper and the bristol paper. 

One thing I saw on a video from the Frugal Crafter is that the newer water based markers seem to blend out better after you color them on to the paper than the older markers.  Newer ones are spectrum aquas, distress, zig, and the older ones that don't tend to blend as well are memento, tombow, etc.

I think she did the demo on watercolor paper, so I do wonder if you can get better results with the older markers on another paper. I will see if I can find that video from the Frugal crafter so you can see what I am talking about.
~~Heidi~~

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2015, 08:09:10 AM »
I tried coloring an image on some bristol paper and canson watercolor paper with my Tombow markers this morning. I liked my results with both and both were pretty easy.  I think I may be leaning toward the watercolor paper at this point, but the Bristol is so smooth to stamp on. 

I haven't tried the distress markers or mememto yet. 

Anyone else tried this?

I tried blending out marker with water on each paper, and both looked really good. 
~~Heidi~~

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2015, 08:33:35 AM »
So here is a comparison.  Bristol on the left and Canson watercolor on the right.  I did pretty much the exact same thing on both - color and blend just with the markers.  I like the watercolor better because it seems to allow lighter colors.  The Bristol paper got darker more quickly and made it harder to have highlights and the paper started to change texture (which I think is common using watercolor markers). 

I still like the Bristol paper.  For blending out  a swatch of color with water, both kinds of paper look really good.
~~Heidi~~

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2015, 09:37:25 AM »
Very interesting, Heidi. I like both of your samples! Thank you.

I was playing around the other night with distress markers and Tombow. The only paper I have right now for watercolor is canson cold press watercolor paper and some Tim Holtz watercolor paper. The distress markers didn't blend out real well on either paper. I'm not sure if I'm giving a fair comparison though because most of my distress markers are starting to dry out. Completely off subject but as much as I love the distress line, I will not. E buying the markers anymore. Just not worth the money when they dry out quickly.

The Tombow ones seemed to blend out better on the canson cold press.

I know a lot of the big time card makers like the Tim Holtz paper but i find it a bit limiting. I have a hard time blending on it. I do like the brightness of the white and find it ok for techniques like ink smooshing though.

ETA- Last night I watched a video series and read the blog post by Sandy Allnock on watercolor. She has a blog post along with her video links attached on her findings in watercolor supplies. It's a great informative post.
http://sandyallnock.com/getting-started-with-watercolor/
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 09:42:29 AM by lovepug2 »
LeighAnn

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2015, 11:36:47 AM »
I really liked that video, LeighAnn.  I also recognized the Fabriano paper, I think that is what Heather Telford uses.  However, the Canson XL is super cheap so it is a great one for me to practice and not worry about the cost.

The techniques were great too.

I am glad that your tombows work better on the Canson coldpress too.  I have been coloring but haven't tried my other markers yet.
~~Heidi~~

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2015, 10:54:51 AM »
Thank you LeighAnn for this special thread about finding the best paper for coloring with water based markers. When coloring a stamped image it certainly helps to use a smoother paper.  Last year I started a thread with discussion about paper for water coloring with paint or ink. There is certainly a crossover so if anyone wants to see comments on that post here is the link.

Another reference is Tim video on coloring with distress markers.

And a PDF from VampNews: Coloring In: Stamped Images with Watercolor This is a lengthy with lots of examples of cards.

Sorry LeighAnn your markers are drying out so soon...I have not had that problem so far.  A  few tips to care for them-store horizonally, be sure covers are on tight-black rings will not show (some of mine are very hard to get snapped into place).  Have you tried some distress refresher?...it certainly helps my distress paints.  Video link.

...Jan

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2015, 11:58:05 AM »
Jan, I haven't tried the refresher yet. I never even thought about it working on markers!

Thanks for bringing your link up, lots of great info there! I checked out the vampnews site and bookmarked it. I saw a lot of great tutorials there that I need to reference.

LeighAnn

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2015, 03:52:13 PM »
I will need to check out those videos, Jan. My Distress markers are also drying out. They are always stored horizontally. I have not used any of the refresher either.

Stampwilly

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2015, 12:06:28 PM »
The word on the distress markers drying out is distressing me  8)  I have a few and so far they are fine, but I still have trouble using them. 

I tried watching one of the videos yesterday , but my interent was acting up so will try again and also watch the other one.

I have bristol paper and really liked how smooth it was, but I haven't used it much for cards (or card fronts). but I did buy a pad of bristol during a sale I saw at Michaels a couple months ago for the point to use with my cards.  I am interested to see these results and the ones posted here.  TY for this thread LeighAnn! 

A couple of my Mementos markers are drying out though...  :(  and I really liked using them due to related color classes...but at least I know now to look for similar color families in other markers.

I am so interested in the zig brushes!
~~Melissa :)

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2015, 07:28:10 AM »
I kindof think that all water based markers will dry out eventually.  I think most brands are available to buy individually for that reason.

The zig brush markers look lovely, but they are very expensive!  I was watching a Sandy Alnock video doing Art Impressions watercolor, and she said that the zig markers don't work as well for coloring on the stamp and then stamping it, so that is a consideration.  Honestly, I am too invested in watercolor markers already to consider any new ones.  What I have works for me.  There are so many good ones on the market, I don't think there is a right choice and there may not even be a "best" marker.
~~Heidi~~

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2015, 08:29:34 AM »
Before I toss a distress marker I certainly will pull out the nib to make sure the color is gone since their nibs can be turned around. Sorry I don't know if that can be done with other markers.

LeighAnn, thanks for the link to Sandy Allnock's great post on comparing watercolor products. I had gotten out of the loop with her work and didn't realize that she had jumped into watercolor.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 08:42:13 AM by Far North »