Author Topic: The JOYs of Plastic-coated Freezer Paper!  (Read 2032 times)

Offline Looser

• Stampers
The JOYs of Plastic-coated Freezer Paper!
« on: August 11, 2015, 01:39:03 PM »
As I've been working on my 'commission' to make a decorated top for someone, I cannot begin to tell you how glad I am that I had roll of PCFP handy.

Here are just a few things I've used it for on this fabric project:

1. To copy the design & transfer to the fabric.
    I placed the paper side up over the design I needed to copy & used a fine point Sharpie marker to trace the lines I needed. Then I used a Sharpie to create the lines on the plastic face of the paper. I heated an iron (dry) & pressed the paper (plastic side against the fabric) to transfer the design to the material.

2. To add a watercolor look to the material I used a piece of PCFP as a pallete, swiped it with marker ink & transferred the ink to the fabric using a cotton swab dipped in rubbing alcohol.

3. I drew masks on the PCFP, cut them out & pressed them to the fabric so I could prevent ink from getting into areas I didn't want them.

AND...

While I'm not doing it for this project, PCFP makes a great way to reverse an image. Simply stamp on the plastic side of the paper & rub it on the surface.

Anyone else have additions to the topic?
Daniel

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
Re: The JOYs of Plastic-coated Freezer Paper!
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 09:48:11 PM »
Wow! This sounds like a big involved project! I don't have a clue about these techniques! :-\

Stampwilly

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 02:42:23 PM »
Daniel sounds like you are having fun with your project. 

Doesn't all freezer wrap have a plastic layer?  I thought that it is the protective shield from one's food getting freezer burn.

I have used FW as the adhesive to adhere paper napkins to cardstock by ironing the "sandwich".  Also can cut the FW as a mask or stencil and adhere similarly.

One can also make an inkjet printer transfer for fabric. 

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 10:03:56 AM »
I still have not ever had any plastic coated freezer paper.  I am interested in seeing the results of these techniques!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2015, 11:49:47 AM »
I honestly don't recall when I began using PCFP, but it was probably early '80s. Sooo useful for many crafts including quilting (iron-on templates).

Jan. I don't know about now, but when I began buying this product (Reynolds brand), it was the only freezer paper I found that has a plastic coating. That coating is only on one face of the paper & the other face is paper (somewhat glazed, but not plastic-coated).
Daniel