Author Topic: Crafty Chat at Online Card Classes website  (Read 6851 times)

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
Re: Crafty Chat at Oneline Card
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2016, 10:49:49 AM »
Thank you for posting these "chats".  Did anyone else want to join the conversation to ask a question?  They were interesting and I enjoyed having them on but I figured out I don't like one sided conversations unless the conversation is telling me how someone made a card or did a technique.  I didn't realize that Kristina Werner was so much younger then the other three.  I sure didn't realize Jennifer McGuire was that much older then K. Werner.  I had an idea who Lydia was from Split coast but didn't realize she was a "big" enough name to run with the big dogs.  Perhaps we should set up some kind of live chats ourselves.  I might need to look into some sort of software to use for live chats.  I don't think we would be able to video chat without paying money but typing live chat might be fun.  It might be fun to have some live chats at least during the fests.

What do you think?
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2016, 12:32:39 PM »
I watched a little of the Debby Hughes chat, but I have not had time to watch the others.  The format of the discussion is difficult for me because it is so long and the content is just here and there within the videos. 

However, I like the idea of a chat here at certain times.  Like when we are waiting for Bingo!  I do not do video chatting, but regular chat is fun.
~~Heidi~~

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2016, 11:06:59 PM »
Haha!  Yes we get chatty during Bingo, especially when April makes us wait!

I think live chat would be fun and a fest would be a great time to try it out.

I enjoy the Online Card Class chats.  I was crocheting while I watched/listened to the last one, otherwise it might have gotten kind of long.
Cindi

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2016, 01:51:49 AM »
Perhaps this topic is not getting more comments because Ai's are not interested in the earlier posts regarding the Online Chats...maybe more comments would be added if this topic is moved to a thread of its own.

I would prefer some structure to an AI online conversation.  But we have had so many getting to know you discussion threads as well as polls and discussions on card related topics I don't know where we would start.  Also if we move onto additional online chats I would prefer a rotating schedule so the same folks do not have to change afternoon activities, dinner hour etc.

This week’s Online Card’s Chat is featuring Dawn Woleslagle (owner of WPlus9 Design Studio, as well as an accomplished watercolor artist and graphic designer) who is discussing making great video tutorials. I will not be listening to this topic. If anyone does listen I would be happy to hear if there are worthwhile  any tips beyond making videos.

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2016, 04:16:54 PM »
I haven't had a chance to check it out just yet, I always enjoy things that Jennifer McGuire and Kristina Werner do.
I've never done video chat, is it sort of like Skype or FaceTime? Could be fun to have more chats for sure!
LeighAnn

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2016, 07:41:40 PM »
This is
I haven't had a chance to check it out just yet, I always enjoy things that Jennifer McGuire and Kristina Werner do.
I've never done video chat, is it sort of like Skype or FaceTime? Could be fun to have more chats for sure!

The video Online Card Chat is where Jennifer, Kristina and a special weekly guest respond to questions moderator Lydia Fiedler aka Understand Blue from Splitcoast stampers asks the guest about the defined topic and sometimes moves onto other topics when the first seems fairly complete. The conversation is free-flowing with the camera focusing in on the speaker of the moment while the other 3 have live photos minimized in the lower corner. So far the videos were taped last fall-winter so viewers have no way of participating...So much so that the comments of viewers have not had follow-up comments from any of the panel members.

As I understand it Sadie is asking about interest in an online chat for Artsy Inkers.  In this situation I believe AI's would come online during a specific time and type in our thoughts on a topic. Folks can type in simultaneously so if several people are present the conversation can move rather quickly and actually several conversations can be occurring at the same time. Generally the discussion remains posted on the site.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 07:50:57 PM by Far North »

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2016, 12:07:46 PM »
I recently caught-up on listening to the Online Card Classes Crafty Chats.  Here is a brief summary.

Episode 13 features: Danielle Wallsowner of Neat and Tangled. The opening discussion focused on impact of the Internet on papercrafting.  It includes the use of social media and a discussion of the panel’s favorite apps.  If you are a fan of apps and want to see the list of those discussed scroll down the linked page above.

Episode 12 features:  Aaron Leventhal Hero Arts CEO shares of the story his mother – a single mom, dedicated teacher, passionate artist and her journey of making stamps which developed from a cottage industry in the bathroom of their Berkley apartment in the mid 70s into the Hero Arts company we now know.  Aaron extends an invitation for stampers to visit their factory in the California, Bay area—call customer service for details.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 12:09:31 PM by Far North »

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Re: Crafty Chat at Online Card Classes website
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2016, 07:31:38 AM »
I have not listened to many of this crafty chats, but I did have time last night and listened to the one with the guy from Hero Arts and did think that was interesting.  Especially how the three designers felt there was too many new releases to enjoy the product as much.  Kristina pointed out that the companies would go out of business without so many products being sold, BUT, maybe it shows that the market is still over saturated with stamp companies.  I mean, I am not collecting stamps, I am buying tools (like Daniel used to call them) to enjoy.
~~Heidi~~

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2016, 08:50:12 AM »
That must have been Episode 14?  I listened to the first, Episode 12, with Aaron Leventhal and it was mostly about the history of Hero Arts.  That was interesting too.  And now that I think of it, he was able to do more talking than the girls!  Sometimes I feel like the guests don't get to speak enough! I haven't listened to 13 and 14 yet.
Cindi

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2016, 11:05:37 AM »
Sorry, I should have clarified the conversation I was thinking about regarding the timing of releasing stamping products was discussed in  Chafty Chat Episode 11.

Episode 14 was just released on Monday which means they are not coming out on a weekly basis...I thought that may because Chemistry 103 was live but then it still was a couple weeks later.  Anyways in episode14 Aaron & designers discuss the historical points in the stamping industry which made significant changes in the business. 

I find it of interest in episode 12 that while Aaron's mothers started a stamp making cottage industry in her home in California which developed into Hero Arts and Arron mentioned he didn't know of other stamp companies at that time. Yet, I recall Santa left me a great set of alphabet stamps when I was in grade school.  Yes, that was pre-Hero Arts and prior to the Internet.  Because local stores at the time were mom & pop businesses and I lived near Akron, Ohio which was known as at that time as the rubber capital of the world I imagine the stamps were only sold as a local item.  So there probably was no way of knowing similar businesses in the 1950's.  Wish I still had those stamps... but at least I have fond memories!

« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 11:09:36 AM by Far North »

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2016, 12:32:18 PM »
Jan, thank you for bringing these to my attention.  I've watched all of them now.  Well, I did turn one off when it just wasn't going anywhere at all, but I'll probably return to listen to the rest since I almost always pick up some good tips along the way.  I thought it was interesting to listen to some of the reminiscents shared by Lydia, Jennifer, and Kristina.  By far, the most interesting conversations for me were the two with Aaron Leventhal of Hero Arts, Episodes 12 and 14.  He talked about the beginnings and evolution of the stamping industry in a fun and interesting way.  They've mentioned asking him back and including his wife who is the Artistic Director for Hero Arts, and I'm looking forward to that. 

One thing that surprised me was when Kristina spoke about the beginnings of Online Card Classes in Episode 13, she mentioned a specific video and spoke about meeting Jennifer through Two Peas, but never said a word about the Thinking Inking classes.  Jennifer was on vacation and not taking part in that chat.  I've often thought that the success of the Thinking Inking classes was what triggered the Online Card Classes.  Maybe not.

Did anyone else pick up on the tip Lydia shared about tape dental floss?  I really have to try that!  She guaranteed that you could remove a glued down item with Glide (a tape dental floss) even if you had used Mono's Extreme Adhesive.  That would sure beat my Un-du!  Has anyone tried that?

Daria

Offline Yankee

• Stampers
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2016, 04:55:21 PM »
Yes I caught that tip.  I had two photos back to back that came out of a frame.  I wanted them apart and they were really stuck, told my daughter I have to try this tip cause I am going to ruin these photos pulling them apart.  Put the dental floss throu the middle where there was no glue, held down the photos with one hand and steadily pulled the two end with the other hand. 
It just sliced them apart without hurting them, turned the photos around and sliced through the other end of glue.
It was like a magic trick!  Amazing!
Born on the fourth of July

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2016, 05:38:47 PM »
I did not hear that tip. I will keep it in mind!
~~Heidi~~

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2016, 12:56:47 AM »
Yankee, I'm so glad to hear it worked!  I'm putting some Glide in my tool box!

Daria

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2016, 08:16:17 AM »
What a great tip about dental floss! I will have to try that!
LeighAnn