Author Topic: INK15 Ink smoosh stamping Winner announced!  (Read 7733 times)

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
INK15 Ink smoosh stamping Winner announced!
« on: October 17, 2015, 12:51:40 PM »
I have no idea if this is already a technique or not but it's so fun to do and you will never get the same result twice:) if you have kids or grandkids that like to help, this is a fun technique for them to do to. My 4 year old had a ball making ink puddles.

Supplies you will need -
A craft mat. Or you can use wax or freezer paper like I did.
At least 2 colors or distress ink. For my experiments I used 3-4 different colors.
A mini mister or a water spritzer. Either one will  work well.
Heavy weight cardstock or watercolor paper. I experimented with both. I preferred the heavy weight cardstock since it's more cost efficient.
Stamps. I found that red rubber worked the best.
Paper towels or an old towel to clean up your mess!
And optional- perfect pearls. I added a small scoop to my water and it really adds a pretty and subtle shimmer to your final result.

To get started, apply distress inks  directly on to your mat or work surface. With the mister about 8 inches above, lightly spritz the ink. I did about 3-4 pumps.
Next take your stamp and stamp it in the ink puddles. I moved my stamp around to get different colors so I would have a variation of color.
Place the stamp on your paper, carefully lift up(if you do it quickly you may end up with some ink splatters) and set your image aside to dry. I wouldn't recommend drying with a heat tool only because it may cause a lot of bleeding of the ink.

Once it's dry, turn your sample into something and share here!

This can be sort of a trial and error, so don't get discouraged If you don't like what you see at first. it's a lot of fun to play around with. I think I tried about 7 different stamps and found some work better than others. I did find that rubber worked best but feel free to try clear if you'd like.

I will have a RAK for the challenge. Just turn one of your images into a project. If you share your trials and errors you will be entered in the RAK twice:) you may combine with others if you want too.
Use keyword INK15 smoosh stamp
Here some examples-

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?pid=2037

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?pid=2038
I hope you will play along!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 07:16:36 AM by lovepug2 »
LeighAnn

Offline Far North

• Stampers
Re: INK15 Ink smoosh stamping
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2015, 01:02:32 PM »
LeighAnn you have twisted water and color in lots of different directions this season I think you are really a kid who likes to play in water...LOL..I like water too!  No guarantees with water--but always fun!
Thanks for hosting!...Jan

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2015, 01:13:27 PM »
Thanks, Jan! I don't enjoy cleaning up the mess but it's worth it to be having fun with distress inks:)
LeighAnn

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2015, 01:19:06 PM »
Hey, LeighAnn - if you use paper towel to clean your mess, you can end up with some really cool looking paper towels.  Then you just glue the paper towel to cardstock for a cool background.  That may make cleaning up a little more palatable.

Cool challenge and I always have fun making a mess.

Oh, and what keyword do you want us to use?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 01:20:40 PM by Craft Nerd »
Sarah

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2015, 02:45:12 PM »
Super technique!  I have done somewhat similar things before, but I do love the look you got.  And that is a good idea to use the plastic coated freezer paper as the palette.  I will definitely be giving this a try!

Thanks so much for hosting!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2015, 10:25:02 PM »
This looks like fun!  I love your samples! 
Cindi

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2015, 09:55:02 AM »
Oops, I forgot that Sarah! Use INK15 smoosh stamp. I didn't think about using the paper towels as a background great idea!

I forgot to mention I tried this with a couple of distress stains and it worked okay too.
LeighAnn

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2015, 08:34:22 PM »
Here are my trials and errors.  I haven't finished the card yet, but I'm planning on using the snowflake piece for the background and the third reindeer.

The first pieces was stamped with a Hero Arts stamp and I used Barn Door, Mowed Lawn and Pine Needles Distress Ink.  The one on the left was the first one and the one on the right was the second attempt.  I didn't reink my mat between the two.

The next is a sample of attempts.  On the left is an epic fail.  The top was the first attempt, the middle the second and the bottom was just stamped straight so you could see what the stamp is supposed to look like.  I used Cracked Pistachio, Wilted Violet and Peacock Feathers Distress Ink.  The stamps is by Stampin Place.  What I did learn was that I liked that color combo.

The next row was stamped with an Outliners stamp.  The top was the first attempt and the bottom the second.  I realized that it was a bit too wet.  So reinked my mat, spritzed lighter and stamped again.  I think number three came out the best and I plan to use it for a card.

The snowflake stamp is by Inkadinkado.  It did not come out very well.

The final picture is going to be the background for the reindeer.  The stamp is by Recollections.
Sarah

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2015, 08:51:30 AM »
Thanks for sharing the pictures Sarah!  I can see this might take a few tries but I love the multi-colored results!
Cindi

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2015, 09:15:01 AM »
Sarah, you are getting nice results so far!
~~Heidi~~

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2015, 11:08:30 AM »
Another new thing to try out this week.  Thank you for hosting this wonderful challenge.
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2015, 07:23:45 AM »
Love your results so far, Sarah! Thanks for sharing! It's fun to see which stamps work and which don't.
LeighAnn

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2015, 02:44:59 PM »
I had lots of fun playing with my ink stains!  Thanks Leigh Ann!
...Jan
Here is my link.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 03:09:56 PM by Far North »

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2015, 09:52:53 AM »
I have done the smoosh technique for a background but not for stamping. I love how it turned out! I combined this with the bisque challenge. Thanks for the fun challenge!

April

card -- http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=2055#top_display_media

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2015, 08:41:32 AM »
Here is my entry:
http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=2069#top_display_media

In my trials, you can see that I tried to "fix" one of the images by picking up some ink and filling it in, and that turned out to be a bad idea.  lol. 

trials: http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=2070#top_display_media

I did use a clear photopolymer stamp.  I did try picking up the ink on the stamp, stamping it lightly on the craft sheet and then stamping it on the paper, and that seemed to give me the right amount of ink. YMMV.

I really enjoy this kind of messy stamping with a lot of trial and error.  Thanks for hosting!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 08:43:15 AM by howdyheidi »
~~Heidi~~