Author Topic: Cosmic Shimmer polishes vs Inka Gold  (Read 1999 times)

Offline Iring

• Stampers
Cosmic Shimmer polishes vs Inka Gold
« on: May 02, 2019, 11:05:21 AM »
Daria posted a question about the differences in Cosmic Shimmer polishes and Inka Gold in the comments of my Gallery post.

I don't have much experience with any of them, but here's what I know so far.

Inka Gold is more solid, waxier.  There are probably other ways to apply, but I applied it to the raised portion of my embossed paper with my finger.  ETA : I just looked at a jar, it is also water-based, contains beeswax, and they say to apply with a soft cloth and buff.

The Cosmic Shimmer polishes come with a sponge applicator in the cover.  Joggles has done a video on these where she also applies it through a stencil with either a Ranger blending foam, or a palette knife.  They are water based.  They dry quickly on the surface, yet they did dampen the paper which makes it nice for dry embossing without cracking. 

The opal polish is opalescent.  When I turn my card one way I see green, another I see more blue.  AND they act like interference colors.  Much different result on black paper than on white.

The lustre polish is shimmery, not glittery.  The surface feels smooth to the touch, you don't feel glitter flakes.  Maybe because it contains mica, not glitter?  I'm almost positive it is not an interference color (won't change much on black, but might not show up so well either).

Both polishes improved after embossing.  They became shinier.  The demonstrator explained it as the paper stretching to reveal more mica?

I also have a few Cosmic Shimmer metallic polishes which I haven't tried yet.  I don't believe they are interference either.

The demo I watched at Adventures in Stamping was with Stamplistic.  I had seen him demo on youtube, so I sought him out at the show.  They also sell a glitter polish which he didn't demo live.  I bought my metallics from Joggles after watching her youtube a few months ago, I bought 1 opal and 1 luster from Stamplistic at the show.

When we got back to Jan's, she had the idea to use them with Inka Gold!  Which had me thinking ... maybe I didn't "need" these at all!  I have a few colors of Inka Gold.  So if you are resisting the urge to spend (which I failed miserably), then get out your old Inka Golds (come in many colors other than gold) and play with those!  Or, splurge a little and mix and match.  I must like that limey green because I found Inka gold in a very similar color in my drawer. 

You can find videos for more info on youtube.  I would start with Stamplistic and Joggles, and also look for reconstituting Inka Gold.
FYI The Stamplistic demonstrator mentioned no need to use expensive card stock.  He uses Georgia Pacific found at Walmart.

I hope this helped a little bit.  Have fun gilding with whatever mediums you own.  We also got out a tube of Rub n Buff at Jan's but didn't get a chance to play with it.

ETA : I couldn't leave you without a link.  Here is Bill with Stamplistic.  He is demoing the Metallic Gilding Polish.  Opal and Lustre polishes are new, so I didn't see a video for them, but they apply the same way.  After watching the video, I realized I forgot to buff with paper towel.  He also mentioned in person, that he ALWAYS checks the foam before he takes it to paper to make sure it is not goopy on the surface.  As in the video, he mentions he wants the polish IN the foam, not ON it.  Joggles has a little bit different technique, I'll let you find her videos.  The polishes are sold both at Stamplistic and Joggles.

ETA again :  Just found the video that led me to Bill and Stamplistic in the first place.  Additional tips.
Jan, check out the Glitter Kiss portion of this video.  No mess glitter!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 11:56:19 AM by Iring »
Cindi

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Re: Cosmic Shimmer polishes vs Inka Gold
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2019, 03:35:56 PM »
Thanks for all the info!

Did you find any of these to had an odor?  I don’t notice that with Inka Gold, but when I was at the Stamplistic booth at the show last year, I kind of thought there was an odor from those products, and although I as impressed with them, I wasn’t sure I would like that smell on my cards.  Maybe the odor was from something else near the booth, but I couldn’t tell.
~~Heidi~~

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2019, 10:05:34 AM »
I had heard not to put your fingers in the Inka gold that you could contaminate it, so I always bring some out on my pallete and then use my fingers with it.  I have resisted in buying anymore because I haven't used the two colors I have of the inka that much but the opalescent part of that one kind perks my interest :)  Thanks for sharing all of this and now I will have to watch the video links ;)

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2019, 10:25:35 AM »
Thanks, Cindi.  I will check out the videos you linked.  I do have Inka Gold, and I only hope they are still good.  If not, I'll do as you suggest and check up on reconstituting them.  I love the way they look, but I only used them a few times.  I wish I weren't such a dabbler.   Connie, I'm pretty sure I used my fingers too.

Daria

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2019, 11:27:54 AM »
I watched all of the Simplistic videos about the Cosmic Shimmer Metallic Gilding Polish.  I think the main difference between those and Inka Gold is that they are water-based while Inka Gold is wax-based.  That makes a difference in how they blend and how you can stamp on top of them.  Wax is going to resist most inks. 

I also watched a video by the manufacturers of the Gilding Polish, and he has a different take on application and blending.  He also said to wash the sponge applicator before using it the first time.  It wasn't until I watched the video that caught your interest that anyone said anything about washing the sponges after using them.  Bummer.  I thought that you could just click them back into their container and not clean them.  lol. 

I haven't watched this one yet, but it's a long one about the Cosmic Shimmer Opal Gilding Polish.

I still haven't checked out the Joggles videos. 
Thanks for inspiration.

Daria

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2019, 02:53:44 PM »
Heidi, it wasn't until I stuck my nose pretty close to the contents that I did smell an odor from the polish.  I didn't notice it in the booth and it didn't bother me when I was using it ... and I am somewhat sensitive to smells.  I checked and my card doesn't smell, ha!

Daria, I was so hoping I didn't have to wash my sponge.  I didn't know about washing it first, so I didn't do that ... I was really tempted to just stick it back in the lid when I left Jan's ... but I was afraid I'd get home and have it stuck in there for good.  Jan urged me to go ahead and wash it ... even in her new kitchen sink!  I was careful!

I will go check out the additional videos.  Thanks for the links!

When I get a chance I will try stamping on it ... I have a few other cards I need to make first.
Cindi

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2019, 03:11:55 PM »
Ooh, I see in the first video, you can stamp with Archival, yay, and probably other inks as well.  Also can stamp with the polish, I think he demoed that in the booth.  Still working my way through the longer video, her samples are pretty.
Cindi