Author Topic: Adding touches of gold to alcohol ink bases  (Read 1204 times)

Offline Far North

• Stampers
Adding touches of gold to alcohol ink bases
« on: June 01, 2018, 05:55:28 AM »
Recently a few of us have posted examples of dispersing Pinata Gold on AI backgrounds.  Now there is a new twist of adding gold on AI backgrounds with a new look.  K Warner posted a You Tube video on adding foil to sticky dark lines of alcohol ink without glue or heat. Here is the link.   A couple of her friends also played with the technique and she links their videos at the end of the video...worth also watching.   

If you try ways to add gold to an AI background I hope you add your experience to this thread. I think some touches of gold on Christmas cards just might be a great special touch...How about you?
Thanks! Jan
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 06:02:33 AM by Far North »

Offline Iring

• Stampers
Re: Adding touches of gold to alcohol ink bases
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2018, 10:48:25 AM »
I uploaded to the gallery a few pics of backgrounds I made with Pinata alcohol inks and Thermoweb gold foil.  I like this technique.  Definitely a different look from using gold mixatives, but I like it, and I agree it will be great for Christmas cards.  I also played with alcohol ink and Pinata gold ink.

You said to share experiences, ha!  So here goes ...
I definitely like the gold foil.  I burnished it both with my finger and using a paper towel roll, either works.  I haven't tried a brayer yet.  I did add extra ink because I wanted to be sure there was enough ink to make sticky spots.  Maybe that wouldn't be necessary if you worked quicker?  The backgrounds I posted with foil were made on yupo paper and appear to be dry!  Hooray!  No color transfer when rubbed.

I've also been experimenting with Pinata gold ai.  I'm finding that some of my pieces are not drying, even after sitting out for days!  I tried to thin the gold ink with glycerin and maybe I used too much glycerin but it was kind of a gelatinous blob!  Later I tried mixing the gold ink with 91% rubbing alcohol, but I used the same pipette to pick it up so there were probably touches of glycerin in that too, and some areas did not dry!  I threw that pipette away and I tried again with Pinata gold ink mixed with 91% alcohol.  I just rubbed my finger over that and I do get a powdery color on my finger, not wet, but color rubs off.  Maybe they need to be sealed?  That one was done on glossy paper, unsure of brand.  Maybe it's the paper?  Hereis the background made with Pinata gold alcohol ink.

Thanks for starting this thread, Jan.  I hope others will share their experiences as well.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 11:03:44 AM by Iring »
Cindi

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2018, 11:06:35 AM »
I think I sprayed over my alcohol piece that I did with the Patina gold, with hairspray to set it.

April

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2018, 11:12:26 AM »
Jan, I thought I knew what video of Kristina Werner you were talking about, but I am glad I clicked over because this is something different!  What a pretty background.

My yupo paper is in the pile of stuff to play with when my desk is finished. I am on the fence about the piņata ink since it is something I would need to order.
~~Heidi~~

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2018, 01:25:25 PM »
Thanks April, I will try sealing the backgrounds with Pinata gold that feel dry but rub off a bit. 

Heidi, I hope you can dig out your yupo soon!
Cindi