Author Topic: Oxide Inks  (Read 1912 times)

Offline Far North

• Stampers
Oxide Inks
« on: January 04, 2019, 10:58:53 PM »
Since I haven't been card-making so much these last 2 years I don't know what new inking products AI's are using. I hope you will share responses to the following questions.

1. Do you have enough distress oxide inks so you can make more than 1 color combo of with at least 3 colors of ink? Sorry my writing was not clear in the original question #1.  However Heidi and Connie provided the info I desired.  So instead please just share a guesstimate of the # of DOX inkpads you now have.

2.  Have you tried many techniques with DOX inks?  What are your favorite techniques? 

3.   Where/who has provided the most useful and creative uses for DOX inks? (in addition to Tim Holtz?)

4.  Any other new products that you are enjoying?

Thanks for helping me catch-up!...Jan
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 07:11:19 AM by Far North »

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Re: Oxide Inks
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2019, 07:53:57 AM »
Hi Jan, I’m not sure what you mean by #1.  I have about half the DO colors. I plan to add a few more colors, but don’t need them all.

I have tried a lot of techniques with DO. My favorite is to ink up a stamp, spritz with water, and then stamp onto colored cardstock.  Depending on the color of ink, paper and amount of water, the color of the image will vary.  I did some blog posts when DO’s were new, and the one that is pinned a lot is Stamping with water.  You blend a background with DO, then ink your stamp with Versamark and spritz with water to get a ghosted image. 

Basically, for DO inks, just try every technique there is for regular distress, but you will get different results.  Then Tim shows the layered backgrounds, which I have had really varied results.  He says you cannot create mud, but I have!  I also like to add sparkle to his style of backgrounds to cheer them up.  I am not a grungy crafter, so that makes me happier. 

And don’t forget simple ink blending. 

Here is a link to the cards I have posted on my blog using DO inks.  You will need to click to older posts when you reach the bottom.  I do a lot of regular stamping with this inks now.  They stamp so well.

http://mylittlestampingblog.blogspot.com/search/label/Distress%20Oxide

As for who posts the most info on them, now that they are used by so many crafters,  I find there is a lot of repeated information about them and everyone is sharing, no particular person. Jennifer McGuires original videos were helpful.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 10:14:37 AM by howdyheidi »
~~Heidi~~

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2019, 09:45:29 AM »
I have about 10 colors so far, I like to look at Tim's videos he has on how they look once you had water to see how the colors change.
I can't say that I have done a lot of techniques with them, I just love how they blend and if you add water to just some areas the color changes.
I haven't seen too many other people that I can say have videos other than Jennifer and Tim but I really haven't googled it either.
Sorry this wasn't probably much help.

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 11:15:30 AM »
Hi, Jan. 

This is the second time I've responded, but I guess I forgot to hit send on the first one.  Sigh.

I have twenty-four Distress Oxide Ink pads--the first two releases.  I would like to add some individual favorite colors, but I don't think I'll need all of them.  For one thing, they work well with regular Distress Inks.  When I added regular DI to a DOI background, the regular ink seemed to take on some of the properties of the DOI--blendability and softness.  I seldom use water with the Oxides because I absolutely love their soft, matte finish.

Mostly, I have used them with stencils, both with Clarity Brushes and with ink applicators--very different results.  The brushes are easier on my delicate stencils.  I've ruined a couple by bending thin bridges with ink applicators.

Like Connie, I have mostly only watched a few videos by Tim Holtz and Jennifer McGuire.  They have lots of very good ones.  When I was following the Save the Crafty YouTuber Blog Hop a while back, I "discovered" Justine Hovey.  She has some good DOI videos too.

Distress Inks vs Distress Oxide Inks Side by Side
Distress Oxide Ink Blending
5 Ways to Use Distress Oxide Inks
Distress Oxide Ink on Dark Backgrounds

Cheiron Brandon:  Distress Oxide Glazed Resist

There are so many more.  If you haven't already done it, how about taking a glance at what is available on YouTube. 
Distress Oxide Inks on You Tube
I let my eye wander down that list, and I already see some I want to watch.

I'm going to stop and send this before I get lost in cyberspace again and forget to post.

Have fun!
Daria

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 11:41:23 AM »
Justine Hovey teamed up with Josephine Fouarge for the Distress Oxide Inks 101 series.  I just watched Josephine's two videos, and they are good.  My favorite is the second one where she uses DOI to color various embossing pastes and Chalk paste.
Josephine Fouarge:  DIY Colored Texture Paste

I left a comment on her blog a long time ago and then just forgot about it.  I'm glad I watched the video again.  I do remember how much I loved using embossing paste.

Daria

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2019, 07:57:57 PM »
Thanks for all the links.  I'm going to put my leg up and watch some videos!

1.  I have 14 Oxide pads, and when I was counting I noticed some have a different label, where "oxide" is in smaller print, in 3 different languages!  I almost put them with my regular distress inks.  I think when I did purchase my first few, I chose based off a color combo I saw online and liked.

2.  Have I tried many techniques?  It's been so long I don't really remember.  I do know I like they way they work with clear stamps.  They stick and don't bead up as badly as other inks.  I also like to splatter with water and see what color changes happen.  Heidi, that sounds like a great idea to add some sparkle!

3. Besides Tim, and Jennifer McGuire, I would also check Joggles for videos.  I love watching her (Barbara).   I bet she has some videos.  I will link if I find some.

4. New products.  Hmm, I have some, but haven't played lately.   I have high hopes that I might get some "me" time tomorrow.  I'll have to let you know.
Cindi

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2019, 08:18:56 PM »
The Final 12 Colors of Distress Oxides are Here by Joggles.com
  The first part of the video shows properties of Distress Oxides, the second part she uses Distress Oxide Reinkers on a gelly plate, very cool!

5 Mins of Fun with Second Release, also by Joggles.  Heidi, in this video she talks about how to avoid mud.  Work wet on dry.  Meaning dry between layers. 

There are more.  Search  Joggles Distress Oxide on Youtube.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 09:04:24 PM by Iring »
Cindi

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2019, 09:10:41 PM »
Heidi, you've done so much with Oxide Inks!  I enjoyed scrolling through your projects.
Cindi

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2019, 08:06:45 AM »
Heidi, you've done so much with Oxide Inks!  I enjoyed scrolling through your projects.

Thanks!  They really are a go-to product for me now.  I’m glad they came out with the light colors (tumbled glass, spun silk, etc) because I can see myself using those a lot for ink blending and stenciling.  Tumbled Glass is on my wish list....
~~Heidi~~

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2019, 09:16:14 AM »
Oh, my.  Heidi, I just spent the last hour on your blog, and I have only made my way through a few of the cards you've posted that use the Oxide inks.  You have so many beautiful cards and lots of tips.  I have to read everything!  Then I have to stop and pin a bunch.  I have to stop doing that or I'll be pinning all of them.

I have a question about pinning.  When I pin a card, I always put information in the comment section--the artist's name, the major supplies used, etc.  That used to always show up on my board below the card.  Lately, most cards that I pin no longer show that information unless I click on the card and see it in a different window.  That happened with your cards.  Is that something you initiate or is that something Pinterest is doing?  Any idea?

Jan, I totally got lost looking for videos about oxide inks and missed your fourth question.  I had a lot of fun using Concord & 9th Turn About Stamp.  I bought the one with dots and played with it quite a bit.  Now I also have the Deck the Halls Turn About and am looking forward to making lots of Christmas cards with that one.

Daria

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2019, 09:28:17 AM »
Daria, thanks so much for your kind words about my cards.  I also read the comments you left on my blog. I am glad you enjoyed them and are getting some ideas you want to pin.

About Pinterest, yes!  They changed it! I also used to like to add comments when pinning, especially about what stamp it used, or company, so it would be more easily searchable, but I no longer am able to do that!  I don’t know if there is a workaround, but if anyone knows what it is, I would also like to know!
~~Heidi~~

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2019, 06:55:47 PM »
Heidi, we can still leave comments that are searchable.  They just aren't visible until you click on the card and open another window.  I'm always double checking to make sure I give people credit for their cards because I can't see my comments anymore without that extra step.

Some pins are still allowing the comments to show.  That's why I wondered if the person who made the card put restrictions on changing the title.

Daria