Author Topic: Maybe y'all can help me figure out the ink!  (Read 3394 times)

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
Maybe y'all can help me figure out the ink!
« on: October 28, 2014, 09:59:20 AM »
I have been thinking about this for probably a year, but:

I have been trying to remember what itype of ink we used in art class in high school ---- The teacher had dispersed the ink into tiny container for us to dip our stick from a tree into and we drew a line or fern in the case of my class.  Then after we completed the fern drawing, we used plain water and with a small paintbrush, paint over the line (or next to) and thus bled the ink into either the negative space (BG) or the leaf itself.  It created nice shading.

I always thought it was India ink, but I don't think so now.  When I try India ink at home and it dries, it won't move (which makes sense since it's waterproof when dry); if I get the wet paintbrush to the ink before it dries, it will bleed.  But from what I recall, in high school we drew out the entire fern first then used water to it….thus drawing was more than likely dry; but it still bled with the water.

Anyone know what ink this was from my story?    Right now I am either thinking the art teacher added something to India ink to keep it wet or moveable later….or it was a different ink I don't know about.  It was black ink…that when it bled, the shading was a purple shades. 
~~Melissa :)

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
Re: Maybe y'all can help me figure out the ink!
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 10:29:05 AM »
There is acrylic ink.  Maybe you used acrylic ink and that would bleed when joined with acrylic paint and water.....Acrylic ink from what I can learn is highly pigmented and very liquid.  Just do a search on acrylic ink on amazon or youtube and see what you find.
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 12:58:49 PM »
I have a hunch your age is against you, Melissa.  ??? You are much younger than me & we used India Ink. When I was in school in the 50s & 60s, there were not many ink options--or additives. Old India Ink definitely bled when wet.  'Course my memory ain't what it was either... :laughhard:
Daniel

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 01:17:23 PM »
Thanks Sadie--I'll look into that acrylic ink!

Daniel, that was why I was so confused the first time I used India ink (sometime last year) to do a wash…it didn't bleed….I was CERTAIN it was India ink we used in class.  I didn't realize they could had changed the way India ink is made nowadays.  I wonder if I can buy "old India ink".   ;D 

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 10:02:52 AM »
In my watercolor class we experiment with 1 line drawing piece of work drawn with Speedball's Elegant Writer pen and then activating the line with a brush using water or paint. Lots of pretty grey tone wash colors result. The ink is stable once dry.  For more details check out the internet for Elegant Writer Washes. 

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 09:36:23 AM »
Thanks Jan!  I will check that pen out as well as Speedball's other inks. 

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2014, 08:09:39 AM »
I know we used India ink in grade school at least, and I have been wondering about it.  I think there is an India ink stamp pad sold somewhere.  I wonder what the differences are too...
~~Heidi~~

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2014, 09:38:35 AM »
The teacher who shared the techniques with the Elegant Writer marker just posted a u-tube video showing which pen to buy and how to get different result when using it.  Here is the link.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 12:00:47 PM by Far North »

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2014, 11:31:09 AM »
Oh I forget about Cheapo Joe posts videos!  This one looks great----I only got to skims parts of it and love the effect she gets with the ink.  This is great! The things the artist is doing in the video is really what I was thinking of wanting to do with ink when I first asked this question---and I am so glad to get to see examples of hers and it's encouraging that they look so easy and simple to do!  I found a calligraphy pen I've had over the years and tried it once last month before things got busy here and it seems to work--it's just that it's green ink…which is ok while I practice.  but since it's a cartridge ink dispenser I'm afraid it'll dry out over time, so the pen she shows looks like a regular pen like my micron pens so hopefully won't dry out. 

I am making a note/list of things to read and watch for when we visit relatives here in a few weeks.  There is alway downtime when the others go to cook and refuse any help from us  :( so thus I am trying to bring things to do (that don't include gifts I am making for them)….so this will really help Jan! Thank you for sharing!  I think I'll even take my calligraphy green in open to follow along! 

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2015, 10:41:09 AM »
Thanks so much for your question yellowcherrios.  I hope you find the ink you are looking for. 

Jan, that video is SO COOL!  What an awesome property of the Elegant Writer, that it will activate just once, then become permanent!  I haven't quite finished watching the video, but I had to come back and comment.  Thanks for sharing!
Cindi

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2015, 05:15:57 PM »
I made a card using the Elegant Writer and put it in the gallery for Heidi's challenge for a new product.

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2015, 10:22:28 AM »
I so appreciate you showing this card Jan and the neat effects you can get with the pen and water!  I also love getting to see this pen used in card making!!  Thank you!