Author Topic: Sew What?!  (Read 1870 times)

Offline Looser

• Stampers
Sew What?!
« on: December 17, 2014, 11:32:45 AM »
It's no secret that our members have a variety of experience with all kinds of creative pastimes--not just stamping. And... many of us have found ways to use those experiences along with our fondness for working with stamps, cards, etc.

This discussion is your opportunity to share your techniques (& questions) about ways to employ needlecrafts (hand &/or machine) with stamping, cardmaking & more.

Feel free to share any personal examples &/or links to blogs & more that may provide us all with more ammunition in our arsenal of crafting ability--especially when it comes to being Artsy Inkers.

Let the chatting & sharing begin!
Daniel

Offline Looser

• Stampers
Re: Sew What?!
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 11:59:11 AM »
Although I haven't used my sewing machine(s) in donkey's years, I did have a period ('90s) when I experimented with ways to use them with paper/cs.

I found that ballpoint needles were my first choice--the larger; the better since they made good size holes with or without thread--especially when I wanted to surround a stamped image with perforations for the design.

I also learned that I got my best reults when I used cardstock that was not too thin or thick--A 'Goldilocks' weight of CS.

When using thread, I found that stitch length & tension were mucho important. To close &/or tight and I ended up with having the stitched areas being cut away--not what I wanted.

That's my start. Your turn, pals!

Daniel

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 01:46:36 PM »
No sewing for me! LOL! I was never good at it and it frustrates me. I do like to see stitching on cards and I actually did a little by hand on a tag here. I used a stitch punch and then threaded through the holes. I felt like I was back in kindergarten threading those card things that were popular then for kids! LOL!

http://stampwillydesigns.blogspot.com/2014/12/christmas-tag.html

Stampwilly

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 02:29:19 PM »
Love the tag, Willy! LOL on the 'kindergarten' comment.

When I do hand-stitching on my stuff, I like having my handgrip punches. My go-to ones are circles, but some others are shapes like rectangles, squares & more. The shapes & sizes often depend on what fibre I want to use. My needle choice for hand-stitching is blunt tip embroidery ones.

One of my fave edge stitches is 'blanket stitch'. It makes a neat scalloped effect.

For those with sewing machines? Try this. Take a piece of CS & perforate it by running it thru an unthreaded  machine. I recommend using a long straight stitch. Then load your (hand) needle with thread, ribbon, etc. & stitch.

Want extra credit? Stamp your image on fabric & use it as an embroidery design pattern. You can embroider it by hand or machine. I've done both, but it is a real challenge. Trust me!

Daniel

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 02:43:16 PM »
April,  I really like your tag.  The baker's twin is perfect for hand sewing like that.

Daniel, I really like the look of sewing on cards.  What holds me back from doing it more often is that I don't have a place to leave my sewing machine out in the house. 

I have sewed some pretty patterned fabric on a card for the background before. I think it looks really nice and it has a nice texture to look at and touch. 

I am not a great sewer so I was just lucky that the same needle and settings worked just fine for sewing on cardstock.  I really had no problems. 

This reminded me how Daniel made a couple tags or cards using a fiskars punch?? to thread ribbon through. I think that can kindof be considered sewing too.  I have a punch like that and wanted to try threading twin or ribbon along the one side of a card like Daniel did in this project.

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastupby&cat=0&pid=711&uid=545#top_display_media
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 02:45:08 PM by howdyheidi »
~~Heidi~~

Offline Yankee

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 03:43:18 PM »
My sewing machine doesn't like sewing on paper.  I did like you said long stitch and adjusted the tension .
But after I made my beautiful project, I had to take the machine to the repair shop.
So no sewing till I get a little cheap one.
Born on the fourth of July

Offline Utah Ann

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2014, 07:44:47 AM »
I like the look of sewing on cards.  However my sewing machine and I agreed on a divorce several years ago.  So I look at others work, admire and move on.

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2014, 02:41:49 PM »
Divorced, Ann?! LOL! While I'm 'separated' from my machines (I have 2 console ones & a portable), I like having them around. That said, I'm more apt to hand stitch on cards & such.

Yankee. Sorry to hear your machine doesn't like stitching on paper/cs. Other than having to keep track of my needles, I've not had a problem using a machine on paper/cs.

Heidi. Most of my handgrip punches are Fiskars, but also McGill. That said, I can perforate without needing use them. I simply switch to a sharp needle rather than a blunt. I like to mark my perforations lightly in pencil before actually making the holes. Then I load my needle with thread/ribbon/fibre & do the actual stitching.

'Lacing' is by far the easiest way to begin sewing on paper/cs.
Daniel