Author Topic: Ways to make small stashs do more  (Read 3811 times)

Offline Looser

• Stampers
Ways to make small stashs do more
« on: September 12, 2017, 09:21:37 AM »
As some of u know I 'lost' all my stamps inks & tools. Thanks to pals like Yankee & Stampwilly I have some great things to play with.
This topic is for all of us who want to make best use of our stamps--no matter how many we have. I'll share what I can & everyone is welcome to chime in. #>
Daniel

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Re: Ways to make small stashs do more
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 10:29:20 AM »
I have a lot of stamps now. I was gifted some large amounts from people downsizing (Jan and others) and now that I have been on a design team for a year I have accumulated a lot from that too.  Sometimes, I miss having smaller amounts.

BUT!  I do try to look through ALL my stamps at least every other month to have a visual reminder of what I have.  If I have an idea for a stamp, I write it down (who knows how fast that idea could get lost!!!). 

Jan had recently brought up mood boards, and that reminded me about doing them at Two Peas.  Your looked at the mood board, got out all your stuff that worked with it, and then drew only from that pile to make your card.  That was a good limiting challenge that always worked out great for me.

Thanks for the topic, Daniel!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 10:31:19 AM »
OK. Here's my first example of using stamps so they aren't quite so recognizable.
I made an inner & outer mask to define the arch.
The pic ain't great, but you'll get the idea--i hope.
Daniel

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 10:35:33 AM »
Thanks for the input Heidi. O0
Daniel

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 11:27:00 AM »
Here's an example of using a shape mask--inner & outer--with stamps. All 3 stamps are from the same set.
Daniel

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 04:40:08 PM »
I like both examples, Daniel.  That rose stamp really is a great filler stamp.  Easy shaped masks are a good idea, especially if you can sponge inside as well.
~~Heidi~~

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2017, 05:48:06 PM »
I limited myself by using just stamps that were out on my desk, and I made a prototype of my idea.  I used the back to school Chantigo set.  I decided to make a little frame with the ruler to make a chalkboard for my sentiment. 

If the photo doesn't upload right here, I will put it in the gallery.
~~Heidi~~

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2017, 07:36:53 PM »
I really like ur ruler frame! That stamp set looks like fun.
Daniel

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2017, 12:40:54 PM »
I really like how you made a scallop border for your flower-filled heart, Daniel.

Cool ruler frame, Heidi!
Cindi

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2017, 10:37:54 AM »
Daniel and Heidi, these are wonderful examples! Years ago I used to make what I called scrap cards. I would pull out one stamped image I might have and then go through my stuff and use small scraps and pieces to make a card. I am still trying to do that and I have a series called Bits and Bobs on my blog. I also did this with dies. I looked at my many dies and looked at ways to alter them to make something different. I think that is what you are doing here -- altering your stamping to make something completely different. Like you said this is very helpful when you don't have a lot of supplies. Maybe we should have a challenge here on the board -- altered stamping! Using the stamps you have to make backgrounds is another way to use them differently.

April :smile:
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 10:41:25 AM by stampwilly »

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2017, 12:24:19 PM »
Using a background stamp in a different way sounds like a fun monthly challenge April wink-wink!

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2017, 03:38:44 PM »
If u haven't already done so u might check out Nora's snowman card. It's inspiring me in several ways...
I plan to draw an easy to do snowman & also make triangle trees that I can 'fill' with any of my other stamps--focal & BG.
Daniel

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2017, 11:54:02 AM »
Another way to extend small stashes is surgery  :o Yeah I know some of us have a bit of fear about cutting up any stamp, but sometimes it let's me double the ways i can use the image. Case in point... Heidi rak'd me a set of leaf stamps. The interior of each leaf is a nice flourish. By cutting out each of the flourishs i have a great set of leaf outlines & a great set of flourishs. I can use each set separately or recombine them--a win win. O0
Daniel

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2017, 01:01:25 PM »
Daniel, I agree about the surgery.  I always consider which stamps would be easy to put back together again, first.  I more often have done this with sentiments.  I sometimes like to rearrange the words one on top of each other (or whatever) to fit the spot left on my card.

I'm glad that worked with the leaves! 
~~Heidi~~

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2017, 02:48:59 PM »
I have done surgery on my stamps too and like Heidi, it is mostly with sentiments.

April :smile: