Author Topic: Craftsy class, Watercolor Cards made simple  (Read 7734 times)

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Re: Craftsy class, Watercolor Cards made simple
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2016, 01:45:46 PM »
The first time I did the Craftsy class, I was not super impressed by the brush stroke video.  This time I feel like I got a lot more out of it. I now have most of the brushes and can see how I can get some of these effects on my cards more easily. 

For example, there is that really popular Stampin Up Stamp that mimics a brush stroke.  But I can get that same effect by just using my distress inks and the brush I already have PLUS more effects and shapes of the stroke. 

Although you normally to not see people coloring in images with the textured brush stroke, I think that actually could be something nice.  I hear the Art Impressions artist (her name is escaping me this second) often repeat that we need to leave some more white space in our coloring so it is not flat and boring.  So that type of dry on dry brush stroke might work well for some images.

~~Heidi~~

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2016, 03:28:53 PM »
Yes, I thought of the SU stamp (Work of Art?)  when I saw the textured brush strokes.  The dry brush, textured look would be cool on a stamped image (I'm thinking wood grain, or maybe a white wash).  It might be easier if it was an image you were going to cut out?  I had to buy a fan brush when I saw the marks it made! 

I took a local watercolor class and she mentioned that white spots were ok, even desirable.  I didn't hear Deepti talk about white marks, or space.  I have trouble leaving white.  I tend to color like I did as a kid in a coloring book.

Yesterday I worked on a piece with gradients in two colors (like Deepti's roses in rose and gray).  I'm not crazy about it, mostly the colors I chose ... but it I think it could make a good ATC if I keep the part I like!  Ha!  I also tried the color splashed piece.  It's ok, but I didn't get the spots to bleed as much.  I think I was too slow and my paper was already drying.  Oh, and I kept thinking Deepti must have paint on her finger, because I was seeing a smudge on some of her demos.  Ha!  It was my laptop screen.  I got a little wild with the splashes I guess. :o
Sometime soon I want to try removing paint through a stencil using a baby wipe ... I tried a wet paper towel and got one ok result but more often I had too much water and it ran under the stencil, or not enough and it didn't remove any paint.

I know this is supposed to be fun, but yesterday I was kind of frustrated by the end of the day!  :-\  I'll try to lighten up today.

If anyone else is interested, the Strathmore Artist Workshop started today but you can watch anytime.  It's a fairly short video, maybe 18 minutes?  It's free if you just create a login.  Today he began a landscape painting, but I figure I can apply some of the same info to card size (for instance he made a nice sky). 

PS.  I certainly consider translucent watercolors as "light and airy" which is the challenge element of my new Happy Mail Swap...just sayin'  :o
Good to know, Jan!  I have a few ideas ...
Cindi

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2016, 11:24:27 AM »
I heard one instructor talk about watercolor being 10% talent and 90% practice. I approach new opportunities to learn with a basket of A2 size WC paper cut in half and fourths.  Having this at my fingertips helps keep my mind on using my playtime for experimenting with new methods and techniques.  For me it feels different to sit down to practice with pre-cut practice size paper than when1 blank A2 sits in front of me.

Removing watercolor through a stencil-For me this took considerable experimenting to learn how dry the WC should be and how much moisture should be used.  Moving on to play with other experiments and then returning later is sometimes helpful for me.

Happy creative moments!

« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 12:41:19 PM by Far North »

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2016, 06:24:28 PM »
Thanks Jan!  I certainly need more practice!
Last night I made 3 skies.  I used Deepti's technique in one and Strathmore Workshop/Steve's for the other two. 
Tonight I need to finish Mother's Day cards and a birthday card and maybe play with some of the pieces I've already created.

I'm having trouble getting started ... maybe I'll heat up some coffee first  ;)
Cindi

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2016, 11:35:48 AM »
I think I found my favorite saying from the Craftsy watercolor class 3, "messy is good in watercolors."  LOL.  I like the cards she is making much better then the watercolor background cards the youtube people make.  I am not sure why but her cards are appealing to me.

The Strathmore class is more of what you can find on the youtubes from The Mind of Watercolor.  It is interesting and I like to watch him watercolor.  I also looked at the sketchbook videos on the Strathmore site.  Those are more art journaling without all the expensive product, but interesting. 

Now I need to get out the watercolors and try some of the cards from the craftsy watercolor class. 
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2016, 02:05:33 PM »
I didn't watercolor last night but I finished a few pieces in tocards.

Cindi

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2016, 03:54:47 PM »
There is a nice watercolor tutorial on Splitcoast today, using distress ink, watercolor pencils and the Elegant Writer (black calligraphy pen that bleeds out a little bit of color when you add water, very cool, Jan I know you've seen this!)
Cindi

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2016, 05:44:09 PM »
Cindi, I loved that tutorial.  Heather Telford does lovely watercolors! 

I finally got to play with my pan Watercolors.  At first, I tried my distress watercolor paper, since I had recently bought some and it is precut.  I did not like how the washes looked on the textured side.  That is probably just my preference.  I did get a nice really flat wash on the smoother side.  The other problem I had with the distress watercolor paper is that it tore very easily when I took my low tack tape off the edges.

The I tried a little with the two colors of watercolor gradient.  I wished that I had done it corner to corner instead of top and bottom, but I think it is usable. 

~~Heidi~~

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2016, 10:31:33 AM »
Is anyone still working through the classes?
~~Heidi~~

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2016, 10:38:55 AM »
  The other problem I had with the distress watercolor paper is that it tore very easily when I took my low tack tape off the edges.

I found out with the low tack tape that you need to wait for the watercolor to be completely dry before taking it off or you need to pull at an angle slowly so it doesn't rip the paper.....I just assumed it would not tear the paper and the first time I pulled it off willy nilly and it tore the paper.  I saw a video (sorry do not remember whose it was) that showed that you need to let the watercolor completely dry or remove the low tack tape carefully at an angle.  It makes a difference.

Well, I finished watching all the watercolor videos at craftsy and I did enjoy them, I am not sure that I learned anything new but I liked the way she used the principles of watercolor on cards.  Her cards are very pretty.  I have made some backgrounds and painted some more flowers so I really should put the cards together.  The backgrounds using the stencils and then wipe away some of the watercolor is so very similar to using distress ink that I kind of shook my head at myself.  I like both the watercolor backgrounds with the stencils and the distress ink backgrounds using the blending tool, there just isn't much difference to me in looks.  I don't think that watercolor is any more forgiving then distress inks because if you don't like the distress ink background you can spray water on it and get a softer look that way. 

I am not sure that making those kinds of backgrounds in watercolor is a draw for me.  I like the watercolor on flowers and girls and things like that.  And I do like the puddles of watercolor backgrounds but they can be done with the distress ink too.  But then isn't the distress ink also considered a watercolor medium?  Only I use a distress tool instead of a paint brush to apply it.  Or smoosh it into the craft mat, add water, and put the paper into it.  So really they are both so similar.
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2016, 12:29:28 PM »
Sadie, I agree that the technique with the stencils didn't work for me either.  It could be worth a try on any backgrounds that you don't really like anyhow, though.  I think it works better with sponged distress ink too.

Thanks for the tip about letting the paper dry. I was taking the tape of right away instead of waiting.

I think sponging distress ink gives a little different look, with less "flowy" looking edges. 

I really like the technique in the video where you make the wash for the background, stamp, and then paint in the outside. 

I haven't watched through all the videos again yet, but I hope to do some more watercoloring soon. I ruined a lot of the stuff I did the other day with the stencil technique, so I need to do some more that I can actually share!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2016, 10:04:05 PM »
I think I've seen all of the videos, but not practiced all of them.  I caught up on reading this thread a few hours too late!  I tore a background a little taking off tape this afternoon ... I finished more carefully, at an angle and it was fine after that.  My watercolor was dry, I guess I was just a little too rough with the tape, and it was 140lb watercolor paper either Canson or Strathmore, so I don't know if that makes a difference.  My background just got cut a little smaller and now has a mat!

I had the same experience with the stencils ... trying to remove paint with a damp paper towel was very tricky.  Too wet and it seeps under the stencil, not wet enough and you're not removing paint!  I want to try a baby wipe, can't remember if I tried that yet or not??  Seems like it would be the right amount of damp.

The Strathmore Artist Workshop (Mind of Watercolor, lesson 1) had a wet on wet technique for painting a sky that I like.  It's free, you just need to create a log in and register.

Cindi

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2016, 06:22:21 PM »
Here is a card I made using the Ombre technique.  I did the wet on wet.
~~Heidi~~