Author Topic: Tips & Techniques  (Read 1560 times)

Offline Looser

• Stampers
Tips & Techniques
« on: July 20, 2014, 12:50:30 PM »
Thought about posting this on the Stamping Chatter thread, but figured it might work as a separate thread. I leave it to our Sadie  :smitten: to sort it out ;D Anyhoo... Feel free to share your tips & such. Here's 2 from me...

I decided to play with my alcohol ink & stamping on metal. My black StazOn pads were getting a bit faded, so I figured I'd try 'refreshing' them before I bit the bullet & bought new ones. I filled my mini-mister with acetone-based nailpolish remover (from the Dollar store) & misted the pad. Worked!

2nd tip... The inside of most beverage cans have a coating that allows me to use a variety of inks & such without needing to always use metal-friendly inks & paints.
Daniel

Offline Far North

• Stampers
Re: Tips & Techniques
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 07:25:35 PM »
My tip is to consider the health danger that misting acetone or rubbing alcohol may cause.  I recently took a class with a large number of art teachers and learned how active they are in using products in safe ways and educating students about the safety of products.  They were very instant on wearing glovew when applying many products by hand.  It made me realize that I hear very little of product safety in my stamping world. Tim Holtz is the only person I can recall speaking out about health safety in using products....and specifically it is about misting rubbing alcohol or acetone products.  He strongly recommends not using them in a mister. I would appreciate others keeping us informed of other product concerns.

Daniel-when I started the stamping chatter thread I intended for it to include all types of stamping topics just like the daily chatter thread but stamping topics.  But it was the beginning of the presentations of new summer products...so it took on that topic as a pretty strong focus.  Now a couple weeks later I am thinking perhaps more threads with limited topics may be better.  The issue for me is how do we easily find the information in the future. If the thread includes many topics...perhaps we need to begin each new topic post with the topic in bold.  Perhaps if Sadie has any questions about what would work best she can ask us some specific questions.

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 10:27:49 PM »
A new technique I learned today is mixing alcohol markers and colored pencils. First an image was colored with alcohol inks and let dry well. Then it was highlighted using colored pencils and Gamsol. Here is another chemical mix, but I think the alcohol would have evaporated when dried before using the Gamsol. This way of coloring was very pretty and vibrant.

Stampwilly :smile:

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 10:21:27 AM »
Stampwilly, I recently started doing that since some of my alcohol markers have dried up. It's fun to do and gives nice dimension to your coloring.
I've seen a few videos on the spectrum noir pencils and I think they look pretty neat. I had once written off the spectrum noir markers because they dry out so fast but I've heard they changed the packaging so they're much better.

I've been playing with the crayon resist technique. While I like the result with stamping, I really like it with embossing folders.
LeighAnn

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 10:10:55 AM »
I love the crayon resist technique too and with the embossing folders. I need to revisit it! :smile:

Stampwilly