Author Topic: Fabric Inks  (Read 2327 times)

Offline Far North

• Stampers
Fabric Inks
« on: July 22, 2014, 11:02:15 AM »
What inks work on fabrics?…(originally ask by Melissa on the daily chatter thread)

Several new inks have been added to the market in the past 2 years that state they will work on fabric and other mixed media projects.  Inks that I can think of include:
Colorbox-Clearsnap Crafter’s Ink
Tsukinko- Fabrico ink-Memento Luxe Ink,  VersaCraft Ink, All-purpose ink and Stazon
Ranger-Color Wash Spray

Ranger provides this list of “Tips for successfully painting on fabric” on their site.
http://rangerink.com/?ranger_project=rangers-fabric-friendly-products.

Fabrico inkpads and markers were one of the first inks for fabrics.  In larger craft stores it is located with the premade blank items designed for decorating-such as t-shirts, tote-bags, ball caps, apron etc. There one will find a vast number of products for decorating fabrics.

I hope others share their knowledge about stamping on fabric.
Thanks!...Jan
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 03:26:35 PM by Far North »

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
Re: Fabric Inks
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 12:47:08 PM »
Thank you Jan for this thread!!   :smile:  I think I have a few of these inks!!!  I am so excited!!  I hadn't done any research so this helps a bunch!!

I have some paints that are for wood block stamping and some for screening onto t-shirts that I am afraid to use with my rubber and clear stamps….thoguh I guess it's be ok as long as I clean them off right away with soap and water.   Thus, I was really hoping that some of our ink pads would stamp and then STAY on the fabric after washing.  I can't wait to read the links you posted!
~~Melissa :)

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 02:29:52 PM »
Ditto-ing Melissa's TY, Jan.

That said, Im not a lover of fabric inks for fabric work. The exception is solvent ink (i.e. StazOn). Those seem to survive laundering, but worth noting that the fabric type is important. Natural fibres--cotton, wool, linen, silk--often capture pigments  better--inks & paints alike. :smile:
Daniel

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 03:35:09 PM »
Daniel, I was surprised to read on the Ranger tips that 100% cotton does not hold the color as long as 50/50 cotton with synthetic fibers. I totally thought it would be opposite.

My choice of not use Stazon is totally due to the odor...I just don't want that hanging in my house long term all winter long.  Speaking of weather it is only in the low 50's today.  It has been very rainy and chilly summer so far. 

Thanks for the added thoughts!

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 10:47:06 PM »
I have read on a few sites today and many say to heat set with an iron AFTER the ink has dried a day or two.

I thought the heat embossed tip on fabric on the ranger site was pretty cool!! It sounded like a type of resist technique to me, but still neat!

Offline SWLady

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 08:46:01 AM »
Oooo, I love sniffin me some Staz-on!  :crazy2:

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 10:15:55 AM »
Found this website and she tested the ink pads she had (which most we all have) and ran it through a warm wash/cold rinse after heat setting:

http://www.crafttestdummies.com/craft-product-reviews/comparison-of-stamp-pad-inks-on-fabric/

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 10:20:43 AM »
Good topic, Jan!  Good for Ranger in providing tips about its inks & what fabrics work 'best'. When in doubt; try it their way, eh? :smile:

Heat setting? See above. When I taught fabric painting/stamping with craft paints, I would share my experience with students. Sometimes I heat set & sometimes I don't.

Another important factor is laundering stamped fabrics. I always recommended gentle detergent & cool water. If the item could be turned inside out (tee/sweat shirts), I do. If using a dryer, keep the temp lower than 'inferno'. Heat often breaks down inks & paints.

Daniel

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 10:33:07 AM »
Melissa. That is a super cool link! Huge TY, pal!
Daniel

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2014, 09:17:25 AM »
I mentioned this in the chat thread, but I wanted to mention here that the Inktense pencils will work on fabric.  You can doodle, color in images or grate the pencil (or grade the blocks) and get a cool background effect.  Some tutorials are available on Derwent's website.
~~Heidi~~

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2014, 09:35:26 AM »
Heidi, I didn't know that about inktense. Good to know!
LeighAnn