Author Topic: Do you have a need for found relatives?  (Read 2063 times)

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
Do you have a need for found relatives?
« on: October 20, 2014, 04:26:39 PM »
I was watching a video showing the making of an art journal page and I saw the funniest things.....a pack of 24 found relatives.  Tim Holtz is selling old time pictures of people and labeling them found relatives....LOL!  I have so many old pictures I sure don't need to put anyone else's relatives on an art journal page.  They are neat looking but really?

Anyway I thought I would share.......here they are.
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline SWLady

• Stampers
Re: Do you have a need for found relatives?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 08:18:41 AM »
 Ok, that is just too funny! Wonder who's they really are?  :crazy2:

Offline GeorgiaMolly

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 09:17:39 AM »
okay, I beg to differ (just a bit).  I love these found relatives packs (have 2), and yes, I have tons of old photos of my own relatives.  My own relatives don't belong on an art journal page - they belong in my scrapbooks and mini albums.  I've used the Found Relatives for cards and I think some of them would be great on an art journal page, where anything goes except my old precious family photos.

Molly

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 10:35:21 AM »
okay, I beg to differ (just a bit).  I love these found relatives packs (have 2), and yes, I have tons of old photos of my own relatives.  My own relatives don't belong on an art journal page - they belong in my scrapbooks and mini albums.  I've used the Found Relatives for cards and I think some of them would be great on an art journal page, where anything goes except my old precious family photos.

Molly

I scan my pictures into the computer and print out what I would like to use for art journaling or cards so the original photos are in the photo safe boxes waiting for the next generation to find them, so I use my reprinted old photos for what these are intended but not the original "old" photos.  I have a black and white laser printer that works perfectly for art journaling pictures and sayings, no smudging when other product goes over the top..... 

Why do you say your own relatives don't belong on art journal pages or cards?  Curiosity is killing the kitteh here?  I think my grandchildren enjoy seeing those pictures used for different things and hearing the stories.  I don't necessarily scrap book them all but do use them reprinted for other things. 

Offline GeorgiaMolly

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 11:05:35 AM »
Why do I say my own relatives don't belong on art journal pages?  Just my preference, really.  My art journals have everything mixed media, but no photos, scanned or otherwise.  And, yes, my old heritage (family) photos have all been scanned or reprinted professionally for use on sb pages/mini albums and the originals are safely stored away.  I really like the idea of the Found Relatives  (cut out) for art journal pages.  That said, are you familiar with France Papillon's Blog?  Should have put a link here.  Yesterday she did a fabulous art journal page and she used an old family photo.  So, someday I might do the same thing, you never know.

Molly

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 11:49:15 AM »
Yes I am familiar with France......I love her art journals, I don't necessarily art journal like she does but I love watching her.  She makes me smile with her rusted finds and her color combinations.  France has been using photos in her last 4 art journal pages (I think its the last 4) and some other art journalists have also been using photos in their art journals. 

Thank you for your explanation about your views on old family photos.  I guess I have some that are just too good to pass up for art journaling, like the family on the farm in overalls holding their long guns and animals for supper........or my mother in her skiing outfit standing outside the house in the summer, don't have any idea what was up with that and am sure she wouldn't remember.  There is also pictures of places that are wonderful and very useful. 

Thank you again for sharing you view point......France's youtube videos

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 12:32:40 PM »
That is cool!  I know I would probably like to use photos of people I don't know---I'd be afraid I'd mess up my photos of family----that is until I read how you scan and print off photos, Sadie.  I did not think of that….  :-\   

Y'all talking about art journaling has led me to post a question under "product and tools". 
~~Melissa :)