Author Topic: Stinky EP!!!  (Read 3131 times)

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
Stinky EP!!!
« on: February 22, 2015, 04:22:03 PM »
I am working on Heidi's challenge and decided to use my Ranger Copper color EP that I haven't used in...I don't know how long...at any rate it is taking FOREVER to melt and when it does, it smells!!!  It's a kind of a sweet smell, but not a likable sweet smell but a nasty sweet smell...shoots up your nose a little...

Does any one know what that smell means?!  I have not had EP smell before, nor take as long as this EP is taking to melt (maybe distress EP, though, distress EP takes a little longer than regular EP to melt).

I may need to start looking for another copper color one....
~~Melissa :)

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Re: Stinky EP!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 06:28:17 PM »
I have not noticed that with any of my EPs but I don't have copper. 
~~Heidi~~

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 08:59:31 PM »
Melissa, that's odd! I only have 1 ranger EPs its a clear one and it doesn't smell.
I do have a copper and a bronze, both are by American Crafts and they don't have an order.

I did have an EP from Recollectioms that I bought last year that didn't melt well. It took forever to heat up and when it did finally do its thing, it would just flake off and crumble. I don't recall it having an odor though.
LeighAnn

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 10:53:51 PM »
Now that you mention it LeighAnn, I think my clear EP I use is Ranger brand... and it doesn't smell when melted.  I am going to look for a new one, especially since I used the silver, gold and pirate's gold during the festival with no problems or smells.  I think I may write and ask the company and see if they provide any insight. 

Thanks for letting me know LeighAnn and Heidi!

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 02:03:22 PM »
I was using some EP over the weekend and 2 of my colors had a nasty odor! They were both by American Crafts Zing. They melted okay but even DH commented on the smell as he walked by. I've had both of these colors for a few years now and they had a sulphur smell. I wrote the company an email just out of curiosity. I will let you all know what they say!
LeighAnn

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 08:47:48 AM »
That stinks LeighAnn!!   ;)  :laughhard:   Sulfur smell is weird though....

I referred to the emails I received form Ranger and he said odors were most likely from overheating the EP---and to rule out if it was my heating gun he suggested trying other EPs (which I did and they were fine) and if those melted fine he said it was issue with the copper EP itself that I was having trouble with.  It'll be interesting to see what Zing says.  (I do not recall ever having any of my Zing EP having a smell when heated).

Ranger ended up replacing my EP--yeah!  and the replacement melted fine and with no odor. 

I had also had clumps in the original copper EP I wrote them about---and he said that clumps are usually due to humidity (thus he suggested covering EP right away after using--but he did acknowledge that I probably already do that--which I do---and he says it's an anomaly they do not have an explanation for.)

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2015, 02:11:50 PM »
I forgot all about this thread until recently.

So I was having trouble with stink pay EPs and some of them melting properly. I contacted American crafts and was told to make sure you are storing them in a dry and cool environment. I had mine in my craft cabinet in the garage and the humidity is what messed them up.

I've been replacing mine and am now storing them inside:-)
LeighAnn

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2015, 02:30:03 PM »
Thanks for sharing. This is really good to know!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2015, 07:51:29 PM »
So basically anyone in Florida is screwed.  I don't think dry exists in this State.  ;D

It is good info though.
Sarah

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2015, 07:34:46 AM »
CraftNerd, I wonder if you kept them in a ziplock bag if it would help at all?  Not sure.  But yeah, I bet the lifetime of EP is much lesser in humid states.
~~Heidi~~

Offline Yankee

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2015, 02:58:45 PM »
I did notice that the co said dry COOL environment.  That is why I have had some problems too.
There is NO cool place in the valley of the sun.(  Az). I had one clump, and another smell bad.
But I have never had problem with my oldest ones.  I got them in a kit of lots of colors about 20 years ago.
It has only been the newer ones I had problems.
I will bet they are not making them the same!
Born on the fourth of July

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2015, 03:42:13 PM »
Sarah I'm thinking they must have a short shelf life! 

Yankee, you are probably on to something. I have a bottle of EP from ranger and the date on it is 1997. I bought it at a yard sale a few years ago and it still works fine! I often wonder why companies change formulas of things. I know prismacolor did and the pencils aren't the same.
LeighAnn

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2015, 04:00:46 PM »
Sarah I'm thinking they must have a short shelf life! 

Yankee, you are probably on to something. I have a bottle of EP from ranger and the date on it is 1997. I bought it at a yard sale a few years ago and it still works fine! I often wonder why companies change formulas of things. I know prismacolor did and the pencils aren't the same.

It really is probably that the formulas have changed some. It is a type of plastic and plastics have also changed a lot in the last 20 years.  Too bad in this case it is, apparently, a change for the worse.
~~Heidi~~

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2015, 10:28:50 PM »
I have to say, I have had too many issues yet with my powders.  I keep my clean in a small cheapo Tupperware type container.  And the rest are in little pots with screw tops.  I thought I was having issues with my copper powder a couple of weeks ago, but I think the issue was that I didn't have enough light, so I could tell if it was melting yet or not.
Sarah

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2015, 09:54:28 AM »
Good to know.  I think I'll hang on to my ancient EPs!  I'm in FL and haven't had trouble yet.  Mine are stored in their original containers, in a fishing tackle box, in the almost constantly air conditioned house.
Cindi