Author Topic: Color Burst--new product  (Read 7683 times)

Offline Far North

• Stampers
Color Burst--new product
« on: April 10, 2015, 04:17:39 PM »
Yes, I am talking about Ken Oliver's new microfine concentrated powder.  I have attached a photo of the color swatches of the 3 colors I purchased of the 6 colors currently available. 

My scanned images seem to pick-up a more watery muted look than the slightly brighter intense colors my eyes are seeing.  I wish the colors would be more transparent but the addition of water makes colors more opaque. The colorant is created with a couple of colors so one can actually see other small dots of colors other than the primary named color.  I do like the colors!  And that would be my #1 reason for considering purchasing any more.

If you look at my green swatch you will see some small dots of deep green—that is about the size of the particles that were put on the craft mat.  It is such a fine powder that when misted with water it is fun to see the color burst into action…although it is very small and is over quickly.

I have reviewed other posts and videos on this product (not many at this time) but it doesn’t seem folks enjoy the burst as much as I do.  In fact many folk are using with techniques similar to water colors that do not create the mini burst on the paper.  So far I am not seeing new ways of using this product.  However it is a fast creative product to use to create a card background and each is unique.  One commenter mentioned the cost is significantly higher than brusho-the new product in Europe but I haven’t even seen that available in the US.

I could see color burst might be manageable to take along while traveling and using it to create in a hotel. 

That's about what I know so far about this product...Please share when you learn other information about this product… Thanks!Jan
PS. Here is a link to   my first card with color burst..
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 04:23:43 PM by Far North »

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Re: Color Burst--new product
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 04:42:14 PM »
I have not heard of these before. I really like your background swatches and the card!  Very fun backgrounds and it sounds like the process is fun too.

I think you can buy Brusho crystals on Amazon in the US.  I feel like the colors I have seen of the brusho crystals are more earthy than those crystals you show here, but I could be wrong.
~~Heidi~~

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 02:57:29 PM »
Thanks Jan for sharing your thought and examples.  I was surprised to see in your examples so much color coverage!  That's great!  I have only seen the Brusho and I think I saw Walnut crystals on time on youtube and all of them were spots of color here and there in on the cards. 
~~Melissa :)

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 03:37:19 PM »
I have a stamping friend who just bought these. I can't wait to see hers and I think I would like to get some.

Stampwilly

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 03:39:48 PM »
Thanks Jan for sharing your thought and examples.  I was surprised to see in your examples so much color coverage!  That's great!  I have only seen the Brusho and I think I saw Walnut crystals on time on youtube and all of them were spots of color here and there in on the cards.

I wonder if for both types of products, if you can mix it up into a paint and use for a more vivid look that way too. 
~~Heidi~~

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 04:56:13 PM »
oh that's right, Heidi---I forgot that you can mix them with water to also paint...I think something I read mentioned that.  Thanks for the reminder!

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2015, 10:04:53 PM »
Very cool, Jan.  I like your color swatches and the card is fabulous.  It is interesting that you mentioned reviewers not like the burst of color.  That is what made me add Brusho crystal colors to my wish list.  I really like the color burst effect.

You can get Brusho in the US.  Dick Blick sells them. Brusho  And they definitely have bright colors in addition to the earth tones.  Amazon does have them but the shipping is ridiculous ($6.57 per jar) and they do charge per jar even thought it is the same shipper and the estimated delivery date is about a month out.  So if you want the Brushos, I think you might be better off ordering from Dick Blick.

I have a blog buddy who has done some really cool backgrounds using Brushos, which is where I first learned about them.  Carolina Cards by Mary

Sarah

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2015, 03:39:57 AM »
Just wanted to add that there used to be Amazon sets of Brushos at a decent price and shipping.  They seem to no longer be available. 
~~Heidi~~

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2015, 09:45:36 AM »
Very cool!  I love your card Jan!  I never heard of color burst or brusho before today.
Cindi

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2015, 10:17:49 AM »
I found this technique video while looking for more info.  This looks like fun stuff.  I think one of my favorite techniques shown was the mono print.  I will also be looking for Hug Snug seam binding now  ;D
Cindi

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2015, 11:13:40 AM »
Thanks for sharing your ideas on how to use these new products, where to buy, and info and works on other sites. It was fun for me to see the color range of Brusho.  Please keep sharing as you find new info!

Heidi said--"I wonder if for both types of products, if you can mix it up into a paint and use for a more vivid look that way too."   Yes, adding more pigment would certainly make for stronger colors...I certainly was trying to be conservative with my first bursts of color LOL! Yet mine was watery enough that it could have been painted on the paper if I wished.

There is one artist who has already written an e-book and a DVD available (with the same content) for sale. Here is a You Tube trailer for Brusho Secrets

Eileen Godwin is s stamper whose blog I follow and has been playing with brusho since last fall.  I did a sort on her blog so you can see many of the works with brusho.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 11:23:35 AM by Far North »

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2015, 08:46:54 PM »
Wow, that is an awesome link Jan (Eileen Godwin)! 
Cindi

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2015, 11:28:11 AM »
Has anyone seen Color Burst in local stores yet or have your tried them?  Please share!

Julie Fei-Fan Blazer shares a video today of exploring how color burst"works".  It is fun to see not only her results but also her process of thinking and experimenting.
Here is the link.

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2015, 08:25:20 PM »
As I mentioned in the general chat, I have a set of Brushos that I'm not allowed to use yet.  But I only have 3 more projects to post on my blog before I can bust them out and play.  So hopefully next weekend I'll have stuff to share.

The one thing I've noticed in the various videos I've seen on You-tube is that everyone seems to poke a whole in the top of the container so that they can shake a little out at a time. But I'm a bit concerned about doing that given the humidity levels here in Florida.  I may email my blog buddy Mary.  She has been playing with her set of Brushos for a while and she used to live in Florida.  So she may be able to give me some input on that.  Here's her blog: Carolina Cards by Mary
Sarah

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2015, 07:38:43 AM »
I haven't seen them in my local stores, but I will keep my eyes open!

I was able to go to a DickBlick store on my trip, and they didn't have any in the store....many items they carry are only online items the worker said. 

Thanks for the links Sarah and Jan---these will be fun to learn more about the product.

Can't wait to see your results Sarah.