Author Topic: Color Burst--new product  (Read 7685 times)

Offline Far North

• Stampers
Re: Color Burst--new product
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2015, 11:32:21 AM »
I found Julie Fei-Fan Balzer’s video so inspirational I pulled out my Color Burst Powders to try some experiments on my own and made a card.  I had tons of fun playing with several techniques that I enjoy with distress inks.  Things I learned included-blending of the color is as easy as tradition water colors.  The colors are more intense as one adds more powder and become more transparent with more water.  The dried colors on paper are water reactive to water droplets but can be made water resistant with the addition of matte medium mixed the color (dries very quickly on paper). I enjoyed using CB to make my own perfect pearl mists.   

Note of Caution:  I learned that squeezing instead of tapping the CB bottle releases the nearly invisible color particles over a considerable distance beyond my card front and a large craft mat.   Afterwards I cleaned my surface 3x with a damp cloth to remove all color and yet this morning I still found color.  I also somehow created a large colorful streak done my neck-LOL.  So I suggest careful handling of the powder and  tapping of the CB bottle to release the powder. 

Here is my card in the gallery.

TFL!...Jan

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2015, 08:23:17 PM »
I played with my Brushos this weekend too.  Unlike the Color Burst, the Brushos come in little pots.  Most of the videos I've seen, the crafter poked a whole in the top of the container so they could use it like a salt shaker.  I'm a little leary about doing that because of the humidity level here in Florida.  So thinking of the perfect pearls sets, which come with a soft brush for dusting the powders on, I took that brush, dipped it in the pots and then tapped the brush over my watercolor paper.  Then I spritzed with water. 

I'm including in the post the backgrounds I created before I assembled the card.  Here's the finished card: Brusho Father's Day Card
Sarah

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2015, 08:30:43 PM »
Thank you for sharing your projects, Ladies! I really like both products and the very vibrant colors are tempting!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2015, 03:31:41 AM »
Sarah-Terrific card with your brushos!  Love that you have multiple colors that add interest to your backgrounds! Color bursts only come in 6 primary and secondary colors right now which are wonderfully vibrant and great for making watercolors. 

Just wondering if some tape (like duck tape) would be enough to keep moisture out of your brushos if you made a shaker lid.  Wondering if any other AI have some other ideas?

Can't wait to see more in the gallery!

...Jan

« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 03:39:06 AM by Far North »

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2015, 07:31:00 PM »
I've seen some videos on youtube where people used pop rivets as like a plug in the hole.  But it still makes me nervous to consider punching a hole in the top. 
Sarah

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2015, 01:15:08 AM »
Sorry Sarah, I hear you now.  Any experimenting with your brusho containers might cause permanent damage to your beautiful product!  We don't want to make nervous.
Guess there are some bad ideas...and that one was mine  :-\:.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 02:30:26 AM by Far North »

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2015, 10:35:20 AM »
I've been enjoying the discussion about colorbursts & brushos. While I might not rush to buy, they are both interesting. Brushos reminds me of the dry color we used to make scene paints for flats & scrims. You'd mix the powdered pigments with sized water to make the actual paints.

Sarah. with the brushos pots, I'd bet you would have a problem with the humidity if you used a piece of saran wrap as an inner seal under the perforated lid. And... if you have old spice jars with a shaker style top & lid you could transfer them to those. Better still? Write the mfr & tell them to fix their packaging! Who knows, they might listen! ;D
Daniel

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2015, 09:10:24 PM »
I know the spice jar is unlikely to work because I've got a thing of sea salt on my craft desk and the salt is sticking together from the humidity.  I think I may stick with my dry paint brush for now.  Although, the idea of contacting the manufacture is not a bad idea.
Sarah

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2015, 11:08:29 AM »
One of my longtime blogging friends has been playing with both Color Burst and Brusho powders.  She recently posted color comparisons here on her blog..  Her philosophy is one can never have too many colors-- :smile:  You might also want to do a search on her blog for previous posts with these products.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 11:10:37 AM by Far North »

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2015, 03:35:57 AM »
Ah-h finally a new video reviewing color burst that focuses on using the bottle to squirt the powder as the delivery system.  She experienced the invisible stray color burst powder as I did.  She gives some good tips on how to work with the misguided color.
Andi's video is here.

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2015, 07:09:33 AM »
I am sure many of you already saw Jennifer McGuire's video on Brusho powders.'  I have to say I really like the blue colors in it.  I would like to try them but need to think about my budget.

http://www.jennifermcguireink.com/2015/07/video-brusho-color-waffle-flower-blog-hop-giveaway.html
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 10:48:29 AM by howdyheidi »
~~Heidi~~

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2015, 10:45:48 AM »
Rubbernecker is now selling Ken Oliver's Color Bursts.  They also have videos for using the color bursts with their 2 step flower stamps...see the video tab on their toolbar.

Jennifer's video has a link to Simon Says Brusho sets for sale.  That is the first I have seen Brusho products for sale in the US but not seeing individual pots of crystals there.  The brusho pots are considerably larger and available in lots more colors than the color bursts.  Thanks for the posting the link Heidi!

Personally I am still wavering on keeping my couple test bottles or not.  When the powder is dispersed in the air it certainly can travel a distance and then is invisible until water hits it.  I know I don't use my sprays very much because I am messy with them.  Many of the techniques can be done with watercolor paints or distress inks.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 10:48:06 AM by Far North »

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2015, 10:49:40 AM »
Sorry I did mistype and fixed my last post about which product it was.  Sorry I was in a hurry.

I have seent he Brushos available on amazon as well, but that is touch and go insofar as availability.

~~Heidi~~

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2015, 01:33:52 PM »
These look really interesting! I've been seeing more and more posts on blogs and videos on them. I can't decide if it would be something I will purchase eventually but I do like the look of them. I love how vivid the color is.
LeighAnn

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2015, 11:20:09 AM »
Dina Kowal, Artist in Residence at Splitcoaststampers shared several techniques using watercolor powders.  Here is the link to her picture tutorial and video.
Here is the  gallery for cards using watercolor powders.