Author Topic: Distress Ink Must have Colors  (Read 1049 times)

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Distress Ink Must have Colors
« on: June 20, 2020, 08:32:52 AM »
I updated my Distress and Oxide swatch paper yesterday (the one I had was the old version with less colors) and saw that I have 30 colors of both Distress and Oxide, but not the same 30 colors. 

In light of the new addition of Speckled Egg, what colors do you think are must have for Distress?  Are there any colors you don’t have that you want to fill in.

Although I don’t think I need (or have room for) a full set, I think there are some gaps in my collection.  I am interested in what colors are your favorites too.
~~Heidi~~

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Re: Distress Ink Must have Colors
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2020, 08:44:03 AM »
For Distress inks, I couldn’t do without Tumbled Glass, Antique Linen and Tea Dye. 

I’m thinking of adding Squeezed Lemonade, Gathered Twigs and maybe the new Speckled egg color or maybe Shaded Lilac.

For Oxides, I think Victorian Velvet might look pretty as a smooth opaque color. I don’t have that color in either line. 

——————————

I have salty ocean in Oxide and looking at the chart, isn’t mermaid lagoon almost the same color?
~~Heidi~~

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2020, 09:10:37 AM »
my most used is probably Tumbled glass, Antique linen is great for no line coloring, and my new favorite that I bought a few months ago is gathered twigs I believe, love that shade of brown. I did break down and buy the speckled egg distress ink only.  I have victorian velvet but I think that is in the distress ink.

You know honestly even though I probably have 15 colors of Oxides I just don't use them as much as I do the distress inks, although for stamping I do like them more then the distress, I get a lot better results but I don't find myself using them for that very often.  I don't have either of those colors you mentioned in Oxide, only have mermaid lagoon in distress.

Offline Yankee

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2020, 07:43:46 AM »
What colors are a must/. All BLue shades.
Tim says buy what you will use.  I have a few colors that were gifts or sale.  But mostly I have blues and of course browns cause that is what I use.  I will get speckled egg most likely in the oxide.  And just in the inks, not all the other products.
Born on the fourth of July

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2020, 01:22:05 PM »
Sorry Heidi, I must have missed this post while I was on vacation.

I LOVE Shaded Lilac, but maybe it's just a personal fave?  I don't really like Victorian Velvet.  I think I bought Victorian Violet because maybe it was the only purple for a while?  It's a pinky, kind of dusty rose/purple.  I only have it in Distress.  I have Shaded lilac in both distress and oxide.  Shaded Lilac is a blue/purple.

In the browns I probably use walnut stain and vintage photo the most for distressed edges.  Now I need to look at Gathered Twigs! 

Oooh, and green ... fave is Peeled Paint.  Newly added ... Twisted Citron.

Other faves ... spiced marmalade, worn lipstick

I'm looking at my swatches, yes, Mermaid lagoon is close to Salty Ocean.  Mermaid Lagoon is just a little bit greener, then Peacock Feathers has even more green in it.

When I look at my swatches, it seems my most used/faves are the older colors.  Maybe because they are old favorites and I'm most familiar with them, or they are just classics ...?  I haven't added every new color.  I did buy Speckled Egg.  It's pretty and unique.  I don't think you'll find it too close to a color you already own.

I think another good way to choose would be to find a youtube video with someone's favorite blends (if you want to ink blend).  Then you could see what you need to make those blends.

I have Distress Recipes printed out on ATC sized cards ... I don't know who made them up, and they are old so probably don't include the newer colors ... google it, maybe?   Justine Hovey has a video ... she pared down her supplies and has a video on what she kept.  She likes brights. 

Of course these are personal preference, but they might give you a few ideas. 

I like the way Distress Oxides stamp, especially the way they stick to clear stamps.  For me, I reach for Distress Oxides where I used to use Colorbox chalk inks.  Sadly, Colorbox is closed.  Although I don't notice the problem with inks beading up on clear stamps that I used to ... maybe because I'm buying better/made in USA, photopolymer stamps?  Maybe because stamping with Archival first, then wiping off and stamping with another ink works to prime them? 

So because I know I'm late in responding ...
What did you choose?  Did you pick up any new Distress colors?
Cindi

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2020, 07:44:24 PM »
Thanks for replying! I still enjoying overthinking this topic!

I was still trying to figure out where to purchase things from.  Joggles has everything in stock but I was hoping for cheaper shipping.  Maybe I am being cheap.

I think I will add speckled egg and gathered twigs.  The Victorian velvet I thought might be nice as an oxide.  It does look like a 90’s color, when teal was also popular for home decor.  I thought it might be good for a shabby chic look?

You are right, color combos on Pinterest or YouTube might be nice!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2020, 08:47:21 AM »
I found these images from Kristina Werner using Victorian velvet and it does look shabby chic.  I like it better now!  She pairs it with Evergreen bough and it's pretty.

Christmas image

Baby

I like Joggles.  You just need to order more  :laugh:, she will split shipping 50% off with a $50 order.  I understand.  I don't like paying for shipping either.  So, now you need Victorian Velvet AND Evergreen bough ;).   

Oooh, aaah, I just looked around Joggles for a bit.  She must be busy.  The site is saying "current order processing time is 5-7 days".  A few stamps, a few stencils, something shimmery ... a few ink pads and your shipping will be half off!  haha!

Cindi

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2020, 09:51:57 AM »
Oh wow! I have most of the sets in Distress inks and 2 sets of the oxides! I mostly use faded jeans, peeled paint, seedless preserves, aged mahogany, mustard seed and ripe persimmon and vistorian velvet in my distress inks. I love the twisted citron, picked raspberry, salty ocean and wilted violet in the oxides and distress too! I am probably not much help since I use both of these quite a lot.

April :D

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2020, 03:03:26 PM »
Cindi those colors do look great together :)    It looks like we all like Peeled Paint :)