Author Topic: Instructions for Posting Pictures in the Gallery  (Read 6070 times)

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
Instructions for Posting Pictures in the Gallery
« on: June 27, 2014, 08:53:41 PM »
Instructions for posting pictures in the Gallery!
1.   Make sure you are logged in under your user name on the message board.  The Gallery uses the same user base so if you log in on the gallery it takes you to the message board to log in there.

2.   Click on Gallery holding down your Ctrl key to open the Gallery in a new window if you want to have both open (I can’t find any settings for changing that yet).

3.   Once in the Gallery look up on the menu…..see the menu item marked Upload File?  Click it, please.

4.   The Upload dialog opens…there is a menu on top that says Album with Select Album in the box…there is an arrow on the right hand side….click it and pick the album you want to put your project into.  Let’s say you want to put something in the Challenge album…. There is only one Challenge album at this time so let’s choose June 27, 2014 Challenge shall we?

5.   Now that we know where your project is going let’s find it on your computer and get it uploaded.  Click the Browse button and your computer browser will open up, I have no idea what folder it will open to on your computer but you will need to browse to wherever you stored the file you want to upload.  Click on the file and click open…the Gallery will then take it and put it online.

6.   Do not go away from that window you are not done yet!  Right above your project is a button that says continue…..click it please
7.   Now you can type the name of your project in the box that says: Title.  And you can type the description of your project into the box that says description.

8.   There is a box that says keyword and if you care to you can put keywords in that box that describes your project to make it easier to find if someone searches for a certain color or technique.  No commas just separate the keywords with a space.

9.   When you are done with this page click the bottom button that says apply….Up at the top it will show up with a check mark and a sentence that says:  Changes successfully saved.

10.     That is it….now look up at the very top at your user menu and click home please.  Now you can go to the Album you put your project into and look at it.  You cannot can comment on your own project but and you can edit it.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 02:52:11 PM by CarefreeSadie »
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
Re: Instructions for Posting Pictures
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 08:55:02 PM »
I am sorry but there may be more to this than these instructions.  Heidi had to make a personal album before she could anything up there but when I moved her card into the challenge folder then there is nothing in her personal folder.  So other people need to try it.  Never mind, it works using these instructions......LOL
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 10:12:01 PM by CarefreeSadie »

MicheleD

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 10:14:17 PM »
I don't see "Upload File".
Also, I cannot see how to add comments to photos.

These are the menu choices I have when I go to the gallery:

Home  Register  Login
Album list  Last uploads  Last comments  Most viewed  Top rated  My Favorites  Search

MicheleD

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014, 10:15:46 PM »
Oh wait! i had to log out first, then log back in....  and now I do see the "Upload File". I'll give it a try.

Offline Vroni_garmisch

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2014, 06:01:14 AM »
I tried but it did not work for me maybe  because I used the iPad - we are flying back home to tomorrow  :D but I will try again once we get back - I have a bunch of card to upload

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2014, 08:43:15 AM »
vroni when using an iPad you need to choose upload one photo at a time because the upload several at a time function uses flash and iPads don't have flash. Don't let the pink warning scare you just change the upload option to single file.  After that you can put in the name, description, and keywords. You can either choose a picture already on your iPad or you can take a picture when uploading.

I hope this helps, I just tried it and it worked for me!

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2014, 09:35:32 PM »
I haven't tried it yet, but I took a peek. 

I have a couple of suggestions and a question.

Most importantly, could we eliminate the 1-5 star rating? 

Also, instead of having all that space for info about the size of the post, pixels, etc., maybe we could use that space for information.  I always liked the way Splitcoaststampers has headings:  Keywords (for those tags you mentioned in another post), Stamps, Paper, Ink, Accessories, and Techniques.   Having that format might encourage people to supply that information and streamline the process.  If they don't want to use it, they could just leave it blank. 

The question:  Since I tend to write a lot to describe my posts, especially if it's a technique, I'm wondering if there are restrictions on space.

Love the Spell Check!

Thank you .
Daria 

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 02:13:28 AM »
I know I must be overlooking this detail but I can not find how to add comments in the gallery.  Can someone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks!...Jan
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 02:16:17 AM by Far North »

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 11:39:33 AM »
It's right at the end of the file information, there is an input box for comments. 

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2014, 11:53:43 AM »
I haven't tried it yet, but I took a peek. 

I have a couple of suggestions and a question.

Most importantly, could we eliminate the 1-5 star rating? 

Also, instead of having all that space for info about the size of the post, pixels, etc., maybe we could use that space for information.  I always liked the way Splitcoaststampers has headings:  Keywords (for those tags you mentioned in another post), Stamps, Paper, Ink, Accessories, and Techniques.   Having that format might encourage people to supply that information and streamline the process.  If they don't want to use it, they could just leave it blank. 

The question:  Since I tend to write a lot to describe my posts, especially if it's a technique, I'm wondering if there are restrictions on space.

Love the Spell Check!

Thank you .
Daria 

The star rating is hard wired into the software, to change it I will have to rewrite a .php file and I will need to find the time to do that.  I don't particularly like the star rating thing either.

I also don't like that you can't tie two pictures together like the stamps you used and the card.  And I can't find any modifications or addons to do that. 

Other fields can be added, I think 3 or 4 to what you can fill out when you upload but I am not sure that they are tied into the tags.  That needs to be added into the tag part.

These are all good suggestions and I have thought about all of them.  The problem is that I haven't done much with coppermine so I am not familiar with the code and how the structure is set up and what needs to be modified as far as templates, .php files and whatnot.  Coppermine is the highest rated gallery open source software, which means the code is open and it is free to use.  The galleries on Peas, scrapbook.com, a cherry on top have all been purchased and they probably pay a fee for someone to keep them updated.  We may be better off just using the picture function on this forum and using the gallery to just keep projects in one place....I don't know, I am still trying to figure that one out.

Yes there is a restriction on what you can put in description, if you should happen to run out of room let me know and I will expand it.  It is in spaces and I have no idea how much it actually is as far as words.  That is an easy change.

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2014, 09:58:00 AM »
Thanks Sadie. We can continue to figure out what works best.

For the stars. I think ppl should just know that they dont mean much and that ppl can accidentally rate your photo and not that someone doesn't like your project. ???????
~~Heidi~~

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2014, 11:15:13 AM »
I think the stars in the gallery are gone now, if you can still see them let me know, ok.

Offline Utah Ann

• Stampers
Re: Instructions for Posting Pictures in the Gallery
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2014, 12:39:16 PM »
I posted a reply yesterday, but I do not see it here.  What am I doing wrong.

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2014, 01:07:53 PM »
I posted a reply yesterday, but I do not see it here.  What am I doing wrong.

Look in Gallery Challenge, you have a post there about having trouble uploading into the gallery.  Is that the one you are missing?

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2014, 01:30:16 PM »
Sadie your directions for gallery posts are fabulous....thank you so much!

I was happy to see I could change the order the the gallery posts.  2peas were always the most current on the frontpage...so  I was happy to see I could make that happen.

;D This is one happy gallery poster!