Author Topic: Celebrating 2014>>>2015  (Read 6015 times)

Offline Far North

• Stampers
Celebrating 2014>>>2015
« on: December 29, 2014, 12:45:51 PM »
In blogland I am seeing New Year’s cards popping up and posts about resolutions, goals and words for the year.   I believe this time of year is terrific for looking back over the past year's creative work and recognize the learnings and celebrate the accomplishments. In the next few days I am going to try to do just that.

I hope to post here a brief list of what I learned...and perhaps some photos of a few favorites.  Perhaps some find it intimidating to post here but I hope it will be easier if others join in.  No matter how long you have been stamping/papercrafting I bet you will find some great nuggets of learning in 2014.

If you have a different plan that’s fine too …just please share your thoughts here too.
…Jan
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 04:15:28 PM by Far North »

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Re: Celebrating 2014>>>2015
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 03:49:25 PM »
How fun!  I think in the last year, and maybe especially the last couple months, I have come a long way in coloring stamped images. This was something that was not even fun for me before, and now I am having fun learning.  I definitely like the water based coloring best.

It would be nice to read what other accomplishments we have had with our Artsy Inkers crew!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Yankee

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 02:53:57 PM »
I sure did.  I finally learned how to blend colored pencils.  I finally learned how to work with guesso, now I love it.
I learned how to take stencile paste up a notch with coloring and embossing.  It was a great learning year for me.
Born on the fourth of July

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 03:07:28 PM »
Yankee that is great about learning about the gesso and embossing paste.  Those are things I still need to work on!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 11:47:08 AM »
Thanks for sharing!  How exciting Heidi that you are now enjoying coloring images!  Since coloring has never been a strong suit of mine I wonder if you did anything specific to feel more comfortable.

Indeedy Yankee, it sounds like it was a wonderful year for you to learn/advance several creative skills! Sounds like you will be incorporating colored pencils, gesso and texture embossing with stencil into other pieces!

Can’t wait to see what others learned in 2014!

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2014, 04:10:50 PM »
Wow 1014 was exciting year for me of trying many new creative products and exploring new combinations of some favorites.  The year started out with first time projects of creating fun diorama ornaments (still on my list to make more), using 2Peas monthly moodboard for new color schemes and  designs…(including using to make a great multi-medium mini album.

Other Artsy Inkers inspired me to try stretching the use of stencils --gesso on a frosted tree tag-thanks Leigh Ann!  And Heidi for inspiring us to make easel cards!

A couple favorite things I hosted included getting more experienced in splattering ink and inlaid die cuts and water stamping. 
In July we experienced the closing of 2 Peas and the beginning of Artsy Inkers.   July 1st began the monthly Mixed Media Card Challenge (MMCCC) to which I was invited to be on their design team.

The rest of the year I explored new ways to use materials:  acrylic paint-acrylic skins, stencils, tissue paper and paper towels.

It was great fun to look back through my photos and think about my learnings—and not just mine but recalling special successes of other AI’s too.  I never got to rubber carving, spritzing, nor gelli plate prints in 2014…those will continue on my list for 2015. Many thanks to those who hosted challenges and for all the wonderful gallery inspiration!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 05:09:27 PM by Far North »

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2014, 04:42:04 PM »
Yes, it is definitely an accomplishment to have this great site!  Sadie, definitely an accomplishment for you!  And all of us for wanting to stick together with people that help us be so creative!

Oh Jan, I did really enjoy the MoodBoards at TwoPeas. I wonder if there is something else like that. I found that they really inspired me!  Thank you for mentioning it.

The techniques we did with the stamp n dash swaps were very fun.  I do like doing little projects and I am not sure I knew that before the stamp n dash. 

Jan, I hope you are still enjoying the MMCCC!  I am in the process of finding blogs again and I need to revisit yours. 

I like this thread because it is calling attention to people and websites and such that I am thankful for!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2015, 09:30:42 AM »
I too really enjoyed the first moodboards. I do love the photos with the specific color palette that Design Seeds publishes daily.  I think a challenge host could suggest using the palette/layout from a specific day or offer several choices of days for the player to choose 1. The colors will not necessarily match our inks but as usual we would use our creative skills to adapt as the player wishes. But the good news is we can publish a Design Seed on our blogs with our work.

Yes, I enjoy learning the ways of the MMCC DT. It certainly provides insight into how things work behind the scenes...we have our own private DT blog so it is like blogging 2x.  For me I was hoping it would help increase the traffic to my website...but not so much-or perhaps more accurately stated not many more comments. 

Thanks Heidi for sharing you comments here!

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2015, 09:57:35 AM »
When I look back over the year, it seems that I hardly made anything except Christmas cards.  The workshops I attended took me out of my comfort zone by using more die cuts and embellishments, but I still don't think that's my style.  I've been checking out more CAS blogs, and I do love those cards.  They can still feature different techniques which I also love, and they can have layers and some embellishments.  The important thing seems to be that they have a large area where the eye can rest and feature one main image.

About the Mood Boards, I think this site might work for us: Fresh Hues: Color and Inspiration.  It's the closest thing to a mood board I could find.  Keep scrolling down, and you'll see what I mean.

I'll have to revisit my gallery and see if I can be a bit more positive about my last year of card-making.  One thing I know for sure--Until I organize my craft space, I'm not going to be doing much of anything. 

Daria
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 09:59:53 AM by djc »

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2015, 11:55:55 AM »
Making Christmas cards is my annual biggest card making activity. But I am always afraid if I do them all year long it will burn me out so I begin them in the fall and make some in batches.  My favorite CAS is Less is More and one layer cards.  Worthy of a stop now and then to garner some good design nuggets.

LOL...we offered the same site as a suggestion for the moodboard...just different tabs. Fresh Hues--does makes a moodboard at the bottom of the page but it is on Pinterst. Unfortunately I am not playing there with P's new manner of subscribing if I can't see it without signing in...No matter what I continue to do I continue to get too many viruses. 

I hear ya about organizing! Thanks for sharing Daria!

« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 11:58:47 AM by Far North »

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2015, 01:02:29 PM »
In 2014, I started my crafting blog (which has been neglected lately) and opened my shop on Etsy. 

I've tried a bunch of new techniques thanks to challenges both here and over at 2 Peas.  I agree with Heidi and Jan about what a wonderful accomplishment this site is for Sadie and for all of us for sticking together.

I also learned how to use my silhouette cameo to cut out shapes and I've figured out how to turn cut files into digi stamps, and I've created my own stencils.

I learned to zentangle thanks to the tag and KIAE swaps.  Both of which have gotten be to try new techniques and use images I might not otherwise have thought to use. 

It was a pretty good crafting year.  But I too need to do some organizing before I can get my craft on in 2015.  So I better get to cleaning my space since I need to work on January's KIAE. 
Sarah

Offline Utah Ann

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2015, 01:01:40 PM »
So great to see all of the above comments.  All of you  inspire me so much. 

I loved the Stamp and Dash challenges as well as the Oldies. 

I still struggle with coloring inked  images, but am going to learn more about shadowing the image with color - either water coloring or using pencils.  These methods help me cover up oops's.

As I said in the other post - I want to use what I have and I want to grow.  You all do such great work with so many mediums and I must stretch and use.   I am going to go back and look at my gallery entries and  hopefully share what I liked best of what I did in 2014. 

The first one is my vellum pink flower that I did for the Oldies Vellum challenge. 

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2015, 11:28:21 AM »
Thank you Sarah and Ann for sharing some of your highlights of last year! 

Sarah did you hear that Esty has changed their focus from it is no longer supporting the sales of just hand made items/supplies but now includes a much broader inclusion of mass produced items.

It certainly was fun to learn as a group and hope we can enjoy even more in 2015!