Author Topic: Share a Tip/Ask for a tip  (Read 5460 times)

Offline Iring

• Stampers
Re: Share a Tip/Ask for a tip
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2017, 01:04:44 PM »
Oh boy, that's a tough one! 

The only way I've been at least somewhat successful at that is to give it up for Lent!  If you can't wait for Lent ... I think one time I gave up craft supply shopping (except for maybe a necessity like adhesive) for 30 days.  I can't remember what I called it ... seems like there was a catchy name for it ... I might have read about it or was inspired by a minimalist blog?  You can see it has been awhile, because I can't remember much about it! :laughhard:

It also helps me sometimes to think of the time it takes me to shop ... that I could be home stamping instead ...

This could also be a monthly challenge at some point, when we're feeling brave!
Cindi

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2017, 01:08:14 PM »
Yes, it is hard! 

On that note, I looked for the poster tape at the grocery today and they didn't have it. I Might be going to walmart tomorrow so I will look there.
~~Heidi~~

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2017, 08:27:26 PM »
Heidi, if you can look for the picture hanging supplies ... like Command hooks, you might find the poster tape there.  I think I found it at Joann's back near the framing/hardware stuff.
Cindi

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2017, 08:29:12 PM »
I'm going to ask for a tip ...

Has anyone taken an online stamping class that they really liked?
Cindi

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2017, 08:41:43 PM »
Let's try this again.  I started a response to Heidi's question but the cursor kept disappearing.  Stupid new Microsoft Edge web browser.

So to curb my shopping, I've done a self imposed challenge where I had to post 50 new card projects on my blog before I was allowed to buy any more craft supplies.  The only exception being if I actually ran out of something like adhesive.  The benefit of this method is that it serves as an incentive to get crafting and use the stuff you have.

I also just avoid going online and looking as stamps, especially new releases.  If I don't see it, I won't want it.   

Sorry, Cindi, I've never taken an online class, so I can't help you there.
Sarah

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2017, 09:27:46 PM »

I have taken classes I liked, but not that I thought were worth the money.  At least not lately.  The problem is that they teach techniques I already knew, or specific projects, for at least some of the classes.  I would consider a coloring class.  People seem to really like the Kit and Clouder ones. 

Stamping classes I have taken have been on Craftsy and Online Card Classes.  There are a couple free ones on craftsy.
~~Heidi~~

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2017, 09:28:35 PM »
Let's try this again.  I started a response to Heidi's question but the cursor kept disappearing.  Stupid new Microsoft Edge web browser.

So to curb my shopping, I've done a self imposed challenge where I had to post 50 new card projects on my blog before I was allowed to buy any more craft supplies.  The only exception being if I actually ran out of something like adhesive.  The benefit of this method is that it serves as an incentive to get crafting and use the stuff you have.

I also just avoid going online and looking as stamps, especially new releases.  If I don't see it, I won't want it.   

Sorry, Cindi, I've never taken an online class, so I can't help you there.

That is a good way to do it.  Self imposed challenges sound easier than not browsing new products!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2017, 06:04:40 AM »

I too have taken several online classes but find they are not advanced enough or focus on specific projects.  One Craftsy class title defines itself as new techniques...but out of 25 I found 1 new one and the old ones were really old!  I asked for my money back and I must say Craftsy was very prompt and friendly about the refund.  I have taken several freebies and they have been fun.  I wish they would add some new advanced classes!

One class series that stands out as far superior than others is Tim Holtz's Creative Chemistry 101 and 102.  He does a wonderful job of explaining the interaction of Ranger products.  Learning how Ranger products play together or don't provided me with helpful information so I could more successfully mix products on a single card. I have many Ranger products so this was most helpful.  I would suggest looking at the class outlines to see what products are his focus is in each class.  I took 103 and it was also good but not wanting all the products made it not as valuable for me as the 1st 2 classes. I enjoyed reading the questions from classmates and Tim's responses which provided additional learning.  He would only respond to questions about Ranger products since he doesn't use other products.  This is one class that I return to for refreshing my memory.

Sure wish their were some other great classes. We have a great springtime convention in Akron similar to what April has attended which I attended many years ago and enjoyed the classes...hope I can attend next year. 
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 06:09:58 AM by Far North »

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2017, 08:58:40 AM »
I have also found that classes don't teach advanced things. I know most of them because I find things on you tube a lot and learn on line. The classes I took at the last show were fun, but I knew how to do it all. I did learn one new thing. But it was fun to play and make cards and I did get free products from each class.

April :smile:

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2017, 09:17:47 AM »
I have also found that classes don't teach advanced things. I know most of them because I find things on you tube a lot and learn on line. The classes I took at the last show were fun, but I knew how to do it all. I did learn one new thing. But it was fun to play and make cards and I did get free products from each class.

I am glad I am not the only one to feel that way.  In person classes sound like the way to go.   I would like to take an Art. Impressions watercolor one in person. 

Jan, that is good to hear the creative chemistry class is worthwhile..
~~Heidi~~

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2017, 11:13:06 AM »
Thank you for the valuable feedback!  I think I will look again at my (not so) local scrapbook store for in person classes.
Cindi

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2017, 01:03:39 PM »
To curb my craft spending, I just look for very unique products or stamps that are different. At the show that I just went to, I saw these little windows you can get that when you pull a tab on the side it moves the lines and it looks like your stamp is moving. I bought little things to put in shaker cards that I have not seen before. I am limiting dies if they look similar to others I already have and the same with stencils. I have so many great things to use already that I need to just use them! LOL!

« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 01:06:14 PM by stampwilly »

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2017, 01:28:17 PM »
To curb my craft spending, I just look for very unique products or stamps that are different. At the show that I just went to, I saw these little windows you can get that when you pull a tab on the side it moves the lines and it looks like your stamp is moving. I bought little things to put in shaker cards that I have not seen before. I am limiting dies if they look similar to others I already have and the same with stencils. I have so many great things to use already that I need to just use them! LOL!

Good tip!
~~Heidi~~