Author Topic: INK17-Pearls Winner Announced  (Read 5884 times)

Offline Far North

• Stampers
INK17-Pearls Winner Announced
« on: October 13, 2017, 06:12:22 AM »
Welcome to Inktoberfest Challenge-Pearls   

I continue my search for new ideas on how to use some of my shimmery/iridescent products. This week I came across 2 ideas for using Ranger’s Liquid Pearls which also adds some dimension to a background. If you don’t have Liquid Pearls you are welcome to try an alternative product.

I am sharing the 2 techniques as separate challenges and will offer a random RAK for each.  To qualify for the both RAKs you will need to make a separate card with each technique. Due to our small number of challenges, cards made for this challenge are not eligible for combination with other Inktoberfest Challenges.  Of course you are welcome to enter them into challenges beyond Inktoberfest.

Challenge # 1-Resisting Liquid Pearls- Label gallery posts as:  Ink17-Pearls #1
Liquid Pearls are made with an acrylic paint base which provides the opportunity for using them as a resist.  This technique takes us back several years ago when one of the event challenges at 2Peas was a technique called Mother of Pearl.  This is very similar with a few twists.

Supplies needed: Liquid Pearls, white cardstock, plastic wrap or very thin plastic bag, craft sheet,1-3 colors dye ink with blending tools, black permanent ink, credit card/plastic scrapper and rag.

Technique-How to:

Select 1-2 colors of Liquid Pearls for your background and squirt about a dime to quarter size on craft sheet.

Squish a small piece of plastic wrap about the size of an ATC.  Gather the loose edges with your finger tips.  The small bundle will be your ink dabber.  Do Not over-think this part…this is merely fun play to create an inking tool. If you would rather not hold the bundle with your fingertips, a clip clothespin or metal binder clip will also work.

Dip the plastic bundle into the Pearls and lightly dab onto cardstock.  Leave open spaces to add dye ink for a background. Enjoy the texture that the Perfect Pearls add to this technique.  Tips-The Pearls will dry quickly on your craft sheet so be prepared to stamp with some speed.  I found the my older bottles of dimensional pearls were thicker and required a straight pin to clear the nozzle.

Blend dye inks over the background. Wipe any residual ink off the pearls.

Scrape remaining dried pearls off craft sheet and discard.

Your background is ready for a focal image to complete a card and submit as a challenge entry. 

So sorry, I found only 3 examples of this specific technique but I lost my links  :-\ 

Challenge # 2-Stenciling with Liquid Pearls- Label gallery posts as:  Ink17-Pearls #2

Using Liquid Pearls to stencil is no different than creating images with embossing paste type products.  And if you only use this technique occasionally Liquid Pearls may be a thirty way to have more colors choices instead of buying large containers of embossing paste. It certainly adds a lot of bling.  Do know that stenciling with Liquid Pearls will use considerably more product than the above resist technique and therefore it will take a lot longer to dry.  If you touch the back of a stencilled paper and it is cold...it is not dry.  Remember to have a pan of soapy water available to clean your stencils immediately after use.

This video shares how to use a plastic credit card/scrapper for applying the liquid pearls. This technique begins at 10:55

While you might want to begin with simpler designs for embossing with Liquid Pearls...the results will be worth the short learning curve. 
Hope you enjoy playing with these techniques as much as I have!  Please share your experience here after you make your gallery post.
Thanks for playing and have fun!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 06:45:50 PM by Far North »

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Re: INK17-Pearls
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2017, 07:35:35 AM »
Very cool challenge.  I am not certain if I have liquid pearls, but I do have some of the Nuvo Crystal drops and also iridescent pearl acrylic paint.  I am certain that I could use one of those for these technique.  Thanks for hosting!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2017, 09:00:15 AM »
Glad you like the challenge Heidi!  I think both of your alternative products sound like they are good options.  I haven't even seen the crystal drops yet.  I was thinking the Viva pearl pens will probably work too.   I must get busy and read the other challenges too.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 09:26:43 AM by Far North »

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2017, 11:35:00 AM »
Oh that sounds like fun, I need more things to do with my liquid pearls!!

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2017, 03:44:03 PM »
Ooh, I think I have some Viva pearl pens and maybe one or two liquid pearls.  Anxious to give this a shot! 
Cindi

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2017, 04:12:27 PM »
Was this one of the links you lost?  I haven't watched this entire video yet, but at around 10:30 she sticks her hand in a plastic bag and uses it to pounce liquid pearls to make a resist background.

One surprising thing I saw in this video ...
She stamped directly on her resist background using Versafine Ink.  I would have thought the Liquid Pearls would have resisted the ink the same way it resisted the distress ink.  Maybe there is something more permanent in Versafine?

« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 04:22:03 PM by Iring »
Cindi

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2017, 04:20:04 PM »
Ahh, here's another example and she uses Saran wrap. It's a much shorter video too!  She starts the technique early in the video and comes back to it around 8:15.  CropStop video.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 04:22:58 PM by Iring »
Cindi

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2017, 01:21:33 PM »
Thanks Cindi for sharing those are 2 of the 3 videos!  The 3rd video video was from a Stampin Up rep and the video was specific to this resist technique and she made a card.  For some reason I keep thinking it was on Yahoo but not You Tube ...I  recall I had trouble getting the address to go to the specific video.  Anyways sure hope you have enough info to get started...give a shout here if you have any questions! 

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2017, 04:10:08 PM »

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2017, 07:18:31 PM »
Terrific April...your afternoon was well spent on these techniques...your cards are wonderful!

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2017, 07:09:12 PM »
Well I have done both backgrounds but only finished a card with the stencil and liquid pearls.  I think I should have had the stencil taped to the die cut shape because I got a lot of it that went under the stencil in the middle but hopefully it still looks like falling snow :)

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=3616#top_display_media

It did seem to take a lot of the liquid pearls so I don't know how much I would use that on stencils, but it is a pretty shimmer effect for the background I think

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2017, 06:06:38 AM »
Connie, your snowman card brings a smile to my face...such a happy fellow and surrounded by all that shimmering snow! Thanks for playing with my technique challenge. 

Offline Yankee

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2017, 01:29:57 PM »
http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/thumbnails.php?album=96

Made three cards.   Two with the plastic wrap sponging, one with stencils.
Working on Christmas cards, so that is what I made.
Born on the fourth of July

Offline Yankee

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2017, 01:34:21 PM »
I made three backgrounds.  I only have two colors, but it worked.
Trying to upload.
Born on the fourth of July

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2017, 01:47:23 PM »
Sheila, your backgrounds are lovely!

April :smile: