Author Topic: Do you make Christmas tags?  (Read 3935 times)

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Do you make Christmas tags?
« on: July 15, 2014, 11:57:33 AM »
to use on gifts?

I have my mind on Daria's Christmas in July challenge and then LeighAnn's tag swaps and (possible) challenges.

If you do make them, do you make a lot of simple ones or do you make fancy ones? 
~~Heidi~~

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
Re: Do you make Christmas tags?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 01:03:09 PM »
I make them!

I tend to keep mine on the simple side. I try and have a stack to put on Christmas presents.
I find its a good way to use up scraps. Most have some stamping on them but I've also made some with some stickers I had into stash from my scrapbooking days.

I love the elaborate ones. I think I would be afraid if I put one on a gift, the recipient would toss it!
LeighAnn

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 01:04:29 PM »
My short answer is "no", Heidi. At least as gift tags. But I enjoy using the tag format for more than putting on gifts  as a 'to/from'. Hangable tags can work as greeting cards & decorations (as you already know).

ITA that several of our current challenges/swaps lend themselves to exploring possibilities with this. Good topic!
Daniel

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 01:40:54 PM »
No I don't. I have so many fancy tags that I have made over the years for Tim Holtz's tag challenges! I have not known what to do with them until I saw online that someone made pockets on the back of hers and put gift cards in them. I guess I will be doing that so that they won't be piling up more! LOL! ;D

Stampwilly

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 07:52:03 PM »
Great idea Stampwilly for using the tags!  I'll have to remember that.

No I don't make tags for gifts --- i bought quite a few tags at a 90% off Christmas stuff at target a few years ago so I'm set for awhile. Maybe after that I while though.

After seeing Aprils beautiful small tags in the gallery, I really want to make some of those!
~~Melissa :)

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 09:11:28 PM »
Yes, I have been in and hosted annual Christmas gift tag swaps for approx 8 years...so it is actually one of my traditions.  Indeed I was hoping that there would be some folks here who would be interested in a swap this fall to make a set of stamped package tags.  My tag swaps have asked for a minimum size of 2.5"x 2.5 inches and maximum size of 3.5 x3.5  They can be any shape and some folks use a die cut or a punch for the base. They can either be a flat tag or a mini folded card style.  Usually each player sends in approx 8 tags and receives the same number in return.  This is a great time to learn to work in batches.  As host I do what I can to keep postage cost down. I make a point asking for no lumpy or hard items that increase the cost of postage.  In fact, I ask that ribbons for tying onto the package are notincluded.  I think of these tags as a quality handmade items..yes, they may not be kept but the adult receiving the tag will appreciate the detail beyond simple stamping (such as embossing, special backgrounds etc). However, I don't think of them as fancy...as in overstuffed with pearls and lace.  

« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 12:38:42 AM by Far North »

Offline SWLady

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 09:33:48 AM »
I do make Xmas tags to use on gifts. I don't use them on all gifts, for instance the ones I mail just get sticker tags. But I do like to make them.

In the past I have bought kits from Deena Ziegler. I love her stuff.

Offline Nora S

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2014, 05:54:10 PM »
I do enjoy making Christmas Gift Tags for most all Christmas gifts.  They usually are on the simple side.

Nora S

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2014, 12:36:27 AM »
I just located the new challenge site for CAS tags.  The tags are simple yet designed with very fresh and sophisticated looks.  While these are not holiday tags...it is the style of holiday tags I was trying to describe.  I really like this type of design for small tags. Hope this provides some inspiration!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 10:40:34 AM by Far North »

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2014, 11:53:17 AM »
Thanks for the replies.  For tags it is a balance between not taking too much time, but wanting to add a creative touch. I have noticed that gift wrap is another part of papercrafting in general, and I think the industry is providing for this. I even see supplies in target.  Interesting to me, of course, because it is a great place to use stamps!  And people usually appreciate a nicely wrapped gift, although it is true they may throw out the items immediately. 
~~Heidi~~

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2014, 08:17:42 PM »
I haven't but I do have several Christmas stamps meant to be used for gift tags.  And every year I intend to use them and make some gift tags.  And every year, I run out of time.  Plus I've bought a ton of the sticker tags from the dollar store.  So I've got a sizeable stash of gift tags, not as sizeable as my Christmas wrapping paper stash, but I'd probably be good for about 5-10 years even if I never bought another gift tag again. I have a problem.  :D :idiot2:
Sarah

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2014, 09:10:10 PM »
Craft Nerd and those of you who have mentioned the sticker tags, I really love those too. I mean, I wrap a lot of presents including all those tiny things in the stockings, and they all get a tag.  I love those for that!

The other thing I wanted to mention is that I really need to either get a die or purchase some smaller tags for gifts.  The big ones like I usually use for the tag swap are just too big for most gifts.
~~Heidi~~

Offline Vroni_garmisch

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2014, 02:27:50 PM »
I love making fancy tags but keep the gift wrap simple - last Christmas I did packing paper as my gift wrap added a dark red bow some greenery and fancy tags. The gifts looked sooo pretty and I had so much fun making the gift tags

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2014, 02:42:05 PM »
I do like to make Christmas gift tags.  I usually keep it fairly simple, and often attach them to the gift with tape runner instead of ribbon, especially for small gifts, or those that go in the stocking.

Jan, thanks for the visual with the link to Tag You're It!  Those tags are gorgeous, and for a swap I would be willing to go the extra mile.   

It would be much more fun to make tags ahead of time, instead of as I'm frantically wrapping!  I've done it both ways!  :idiot2:
Cindi

Offline Scrappymo!

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2014, 05:07:39 PM »
I make tags for my presents. I often like the tag and the card to match. Sometimes even the gift bag.

I also make bespoke tags for my Mom and sister. They are very much into horses (3 Day Eventing) so they usually have a theme that includes horses. This year I am planning on a theme of "Sleigh Bells Ring" for their Xmas gifts. I have some horse drawn carriage stamps and will use those.

For my children and grandchildren I will be using up the gift wrap and tags I have already in the house as I do not wish to pay to move it I think I have enough for my girls and grandkids to use for their gift giving too!  lol  I am such a hoarder...  lol