Author Topic: Getting your mojo back?  (Read 2103 times)

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Getting your mojo back?
« on: August 22, 2014, 10:56:49 AM »
A lot of us have to take stamping breaks, although we probably don't want to, when life gets busy.  Or maybe you just have temporarily lost motivation and aren't creating as much as you want to.

Whether that is a week, a month, or a year, how do you get your crafty mojo back? 

Any tips?
~~Heidi~~

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Re: Getting your mojo back?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 11:35:17 AM »
What I have tried in the past is to stamp something without actually feeling like I will need to make it into a finished piece. 
~~Heidi~~

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 12:22:41 PM »
That is a good idea Heidi.  Sometimes having to make a card for an upcoming event will help me----and there have been times it hasn't at all. 

I will be interested to see what others say.  :smile:
~~Melissa :)

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 12:25:20 PM »
LOL, Heidi! Getting my 'mojo' back is never a problem. :o I had a chip installed in it so I can find it easily. Yeah. The mojo doesn't always like it when I reel it back home, but It knows I'm its boss--regardless of how long I've neglected it.

That said, however, I do agree that 'neglected' mojo can benefit from being stroked a bit so it will purr for its master.

Your suggestion is one I've used & can be very effective, Heidi. I also find that roaming for places to 'show' my mojo can help. Example? April's (StampWilly) willingness to tackle creating a scrapbook for a 50th Anniverary gift.

'Motivation' is a great term for what gets us doing crafts--rather than just enjoying what we can see other doing.

I'm going to add another word to this 'mojo back' discussion--Commitment. When I commit to a swap or anything else, I put myself in a position where I must do my 'follow-through'. Why? 'Cause that how I was raised by Dad & Mom & I know they're watching. ;)
Daniel

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 02:03:20 PM »
Heidi, I agree playing without any expectations is always fun!  For me that is pulling together new supplies that haven't been opened or barely used.  When life is fast paced I often don't have time to test out new items to learn how they work or to find combinations for when something is needed in a short amount of time.

When I don't think your have any "new supplies" I search through stamp sets and look for "extra" ones you have never inked.  When I have a lot of stamps to learn about I try stamp just 1 or a few each day....I try stamping in different colors or with products other than ink or stamp off the edge of the paper to capture different looks.  

Just get acquainted with my supplies is lots of fun and gives me new ideas of other things to try.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 02:08:28 PM by Far North »

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 08:32:22 AM »
These are some great ideas!

I really like the idea to look through stamps and find singles that you may not have used.  Sortof to challenge yourself.

Daniel, good idea about doing swaps with a deadline!

Another thing I have done in the past (but need to restart) is keeping a "Crafting To Do" list of things I want to try, or particular projects I need or want to work on.  Then, when I have time, I can look at the list.  Some things I tended to tick off very quickly and others stayed on the list for months. 
~~Heidi~~

Offline Scrappymo!

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 03:13:32 PM »
This is such a pertinant topic for me.

Sorry I have been absent from the board for so long...hopefully some of you still remember me!!! lol

We finally found a house over near my grandchildren. We bought it the day we drove home from the lake. The for sale sign had gone up the night before and we were the first appointment for showing. We had to pay over asking as there was a bidding war between us and the next two couples. But luckily we got it and listed our house last Wednesday.

Looks like it is sold, as long as it passes the inspection and they get their mortgage approved

So...I have been purging and taking boxes of things to the hospice thrift shop. Both paper craft supplies and sadly all my other craft supplies. It is really hard to do and I feel badly, but my new craft room is only 3/4 the size of this one!

I have not made cards nor posted to my blog in about 10 days. Just hav e been too busy keeping the house spotless and trying to continue purging and organizing in between showings. It has affected my mojo and I have found some great ideas here. Thank s for the suggestions.

First suggestion I am going to try is using some stamps (and some supplies) that I have been undecided whether to keep or donate...Perhaps if I actually see them used on a card, it may help me to realize that I don't need them after all!

Hope everyone's mojo bounces back, mine included. lol

Maureen

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2014, 03:25:20 PM »
Scrappymo I was just thinking about you and hoping nothing had happened to you.  I am so glad to hear you have been ok but very very busy it would seem.  Congrats on the house purchase and sale!  It does hurt to get rid of things that have taken so long to collect doesn't it.  I just reorganize and push around mostly without actually purging much.

I hope your move goes well and you can fit more into your crafty area than you think you can.
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......