Author Topic: Ribbons to dye?.......  (Read 2278 times)

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Ribbons to dye?.......
« on: September 06, 2014, 01:50:57 PM »
I am working on a project now and I really wish I had some plain ribbon to dye to match perfectly.  What are the common types of ribbon that cardmakers dye. I hope it is something inexpensive too.  I would like to use distress inks or my other dye inks.

Thanks!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Looser

• Stampers
Re: Ribbons to dye?.......
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 02:28:01 PM »
LOL & 'God Bless You'. Heidi! So neat to see you in 'lab' mode!  ;D

I don't know what you consider 'plain' ribbon, but that's ok. You've provided me with sufficient info to respond--2 thumbs up, fellow explorer!

My preference for coloring ribbon with ink is (usually) to start with a woven material--as opposed to an extruded. I like the ribbon to have a bit of natural fibre, but many synthetics will accept color from inks & paints.

Far as 'matching color'? Try starting with a ribbon color that allows you to add the ink color without having to start with white ribbon as the base. Say you want a warm 'pumpkin orange'. I might use a light yellow ribbon as my base & go from there.

And 'how' I dye the ribbon is also important. If I need lots of yardage, I might do a 'dye bath'--otherwise I prefer to alter the ribbon's color by non-bath dying.

One thing I remember from my 'dye-ing' days? The color changes when the material is dried.
Daniel

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 02:56:01 PM »
Tim H's label brand ribbon is called Crinkle ribbon which is a flat white polyester ...some others use seam binding, silk ribbon or wrinkle ribbon.  Note many of these make into rather floppy loops on a bow.  Really Reasonable Ribbon is an on-line store which stocks  large variety of ribbon in many colors and widths.  For small amounts it is mailed in a regular letter envelope...fast service too.  I have bought from her many times over the year. 

Like Daniel said many ribbons can be dyed but if doing over top of a color of course that will effect the new color.  You can always cut some small pieces and give it a try. If  you use a heat gun some will totally melt and others will crinkle with a desirable look.
...Jan

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 03:39:06 PM »
Thank you very much for the suggestions!  I looked at Really Reasonable Ribbon and they are good prices for sure!  And a great variety. 

I had not thought a lot about what my ribbon is made of before, so this was educational.  I also thank you for showing me I could use some lighter colored ribbon to dye as well.

I think maybe the seam binding is what I am thinking of, and maybe I will make a small purchase and see.  I do sometimes like the wrinkled look I see in some photos, and did not know that was achieved by heating it.
~~Heidi~~

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 09:09:10 PM »
I was opening a new window to get the link for RRR as I was reading this thread and realized that Jan had already mentioned them.  I second Jan's recommendation.  I love RRR. In fact, I'm a member of their ribbon of the month club.  And I've bought their seam binding and dyed it with distress inks.  I've also used my distress inks to color lace and on sheer ribbon I've gotten at Michael's.  I've yet to try dying an already colored ribbon.  I usually use white or cream. 

If you get seam binding, and ink with distress inks, if you get the binding very wet and while it is still wet, sprinkle it with sea salt, the salt pull out some of the ink and creates a cool speckled effect on the ribbon.     
Sarah

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 12:07:16 PM »
Are y'all dying the ribbon with distress ink inkers or with the sponge and ink pad? 

I've only sponged on distressed ink once onto a color satin ribbon.
~~Melissa :)

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2014, 08:39:57 PM »
I usually smush the ink pads on my nonstick craft mat and spritz with water and drag the ribbon through it.  My fingers definitely get messy.
Sarah

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 12:32:02 PM »
Here are a couple photos fordyeing crinkle ribbon if want a visual.

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2014, 07:35:56 PM »
Thanks for starting this,Heidi.
I've seen the crinkly ribbon on cards before but didn't know where to find it or how to do it. Thanks for the links, Jan.
I'm gonna look for some seam binding next time I'm at a craft store.
LeighAnn