Author Topic: White Ink Pads  (Read 1863 times)

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
White Ink Pads
« on: October 08, 2014, 03:58:38 PM »
I know we've talked about this before---or at least I am sure we have---but I wanted to ask everyone:

1. What white pigment ink pad you use
2. What you think about it and how it behaves with stamping/drying/heating or anything else you can think of with it's use
3. Does the pad dries out fast for you.  (I live in a dry area so maybe that is why my cat eye inks always dry out fast---they never last longer than maybe 1.5 yrs at most---maybe I need to try a large white ink pad instead of smaller ones)
4. And one last thing I wanted to double check…..white pigment inks DO fade as they dry on the darker CS right?  I was able to get a few good stampings in and then I look back and the images look kinda "see-thru" and faded as they have dried. 

Right now I have a Colorbox Mixed Media Jasmine pad that I have used in the past with no problem that I can remember (I don't use white very often).  Today when I went to use it for Daria's challenge, I find that it is extremely wet---so much so, that when I stamp the images, they are OVER-stamped (I know that's probably not a word, but I hope everyone knows what I mean) like when you press a clear stamp too hard when stamping and the ink extends beyond the image's border.  I was using red rubber stamps today.   

Luckily I still had my dry Colorbox white cat eye and I sopped up the excess ink on the stamp with that cat eye (I wonder if I am RE-inking the cat eye this way, b/c now it actually will ink up a stamp!) 

~~Melissa :)

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
Re: White Ink Pads
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 11:45:52 AM »
I have 2 that I use
The color box pigment ink in frost white and the memento luxe wedding white.

Ive only had the memento one for a few months now but I really like it. Its a fast drying pigment ink. The color box one takes forever to dry.

I love that the memento one dries fast. I haven't used it with heat embossing yet so I'm not sure how well it would work but I always get a crisp image when I stamp with it.
The colorbox one I have had for a few years and its still pretty juicy. I like that its a bright white color. I often have stamped with it and heat set it with embossing powder. The cons to me is its a bit of a messy ink so I don't always get a good impression when I stamp sentiments or detailed images.

So far neither have faded when stamped on to dark cs. I checked a few cards I have and they still look good. The memento ink isn't as vivid of a white but I still like it.
It's a little pricey IMO unless you use a coupon or find it on sale.

HTH! I've also heard that Hero Arts unicorn ink is a good one but I don't own that one. I have a versamagic dew drop in cloud and it's never worked well. Its a chalk ink so it gives a faint impression.
LeighAnn

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 12:49:59 PM »
The colorbox white pigment ink is really juicy and really white.  LeighAnn is right, it takes forever and a day to dry.  Even heat setting it takes a long time.

I also have the Avery Elle white pigment ink and those are a fast-drying pigment ink.  It works pretty well.  Overall, I find the fast drying pigment inks to be quite and rather difficult to heat emboss with, even though the manufacturer advertises that they work.  I have better luck with the new pads that I also reinked to make them juicier. 

The Brilliance white pad is a real dud, IMO.  Very faded looking. I think I threw mine out.
~~Heidi~~

Offline SWLady

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 01:01:05 PM »
I have a Versamark Brilliance white ink. It's supposed to be fast drying. It's not too bad in the drying department but it doesn't seem to stamp all that well. Kinda blotchy. Maybe it would work better with a red rubber stamp. I mostly use clear. I will try it and let you all know.

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 09:46:03 PM »
Thanks everyone for your input!   :smile:    This gives me something to look for when looking at the white ink pads. 

I have been interested in what the mementos luxe line is like for any of the colors.  so the white may be a good excuse to try it!   :D

I noticed that my cat eye is a chalk ink so it's no wonder it looks faded on the dark CS! 
~~Melissa :)

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 09:48:14 PM »
I don't use white ink too often but I do have the Hero Arts unicorn ink pad.  I used it on the turkey card I made for INK14 and I was happy with it.  It dries faster than any of the Colorbox pigment inks I have but not as fast as my memento dye inks.

I agree that Versamagic cloud stinks.  I have the large pad that came with a bottle of reinker, and it has never worked well.  But I do like my dew drop Brilliance Moonlight White.
Sarah