Author Topic: Do 'limited' materials increase your creativity?  (Read 1702 times)

Offline Looser

• Stampers
Do 'limited' materials increase your creativity?
« on: November 04, 2014, 02:40:39 PM »
I was going to post this question on the Nov. KIAE thread, but thot it might be a topic worth its own thread.

Many times I'm faced with wanting to make a piece & find that one or more of the materials I want to use are in short supply in my stash. I'm mostly talking about materials like PP, ribbon, etc.--rather than items like stamps, inks & such.

Case in point... Yankee was responsible for sending me an envelope with materials to make a minimum of 1 project using (at least) 3 items from it.  She sent me lots of neat stuff, but by the rules of the swap, there's only so much of any material in the kit--especially some that I just love & see so many ways to use.

What I'm finding is that when I have limited amounts of something, I work at finding ways to use the material without squandering it. I think about ways to get the biggest bang in a project & still have some to use for another. It encourages me to seek creative solutions & still make the project(s) I envision.

One of my favorite techniques is to only use enough of the material to 'show'. Rather than using an entire piece to back a layered project, I'll cut an 'open layer'--just enough to show & glue the top layer to. That way I save the part that would be covered.

Get the idea? Good! Share you thots, comments & techniques with the rest of us. (pretty please? :smitten:)
Daniel

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
Re: Do 'limited' materials increase your creativity?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 07:55:26 PM »
I have thought about this subject off and on---and I just thought about it last week actually….due to my punches.  I realized last week that I have not used my punches in quite awhile and I was remembering how, when I had only maybe 4 punches, I was using them tons!  but now when I have many many more….I haven't used them but once in a while.   :(  Which is sad b/c I look at punches, not for just what they punch out, but what ELSE I could make the punches do---as in using them for "nibbling" and "fretting" (I think you called it, DAniel), etc.  Thus, I thought MORE of a material (punches in this case) would increase creativity, but it doesn't seem like it at the moment.  But I tend to go through phases: use mainly colored pencils on one card, the next will be stamps, the next die-cuts, etc.   

I can definitely see how the limited materials in a kit challenge could increase creativity…if you only have so much of a ribbon that was sent, then you really have to think on how to use it to make the most of it.  (thus, it can also cause a "I only have one shot at this, since I have no more" anxiety too... :-\

I have done the "open layer" before---especially with some of the kraft paper I have---but I also have been afraid to do the "open layer" on cards I give away to people.  :-\

On a different note, I do enjoy "repurposing" things---even in crafting …I mainly repurpose items as tools with crafting ---- so for example, I won't throw away excess CS from a cut-out b/c I know I can use it to wipe up the glue I am going to use on the card in a moment after glueing it down.  Since I only have limited napkins on hand right now, I get creative on using other stuff to act in-the-place-of.    There are more things I do this "repurposing" with in terms of crafting, but none come to mind right now.  I do know I repurpose items to help conserve other crafting materials though.   
~~Melissa :)

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 08:11:09 AM »
I think that having limited resources helps me be more creative because it takes away choices. I know what I have to work with and then I make it work.  KWIM?.

I don't think it makes me necessarily more frugal with the items though. I mean, with KIAE, we only have to make 1-2 projects, and there usually is plenty for that in the envelope.
~~Heidi~~

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 11:28:54 AM »
Here I only have 2 stores to shop for most card making supplies (next closest is nearly 400 miles 1 way).  Which I find to be a good thing cause that limits me to the supplies I have on hand. No time wasted in shopping for a specific challenge and I just move forward with creating.  I am a plain vanilla stamper as I buy generic supplies when possible. My cardstock is white or plain colors, same for most ribbons etc so I can color my own.  Over the years I have collected many generic stamps...that are mostly shapes and patterns that I use to supplement more specific images.  Working with generic supplies certainly doesn't save me time but it does support my passion to create.

As for being frugal that is our way of life here.  Isn't that the reason I get all those unrequested catalogs in the mail... to use them as my working base for messy projects?  When done I just tear away the messy pages and save the catalog for the next project. I also use real rags from worn clothing for clean up and then just hand wash them when I clean off my stamps at the end of the project.

...Jan
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 11:24:11 PM by Far North »

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 04:56:02 PM »
Limited supplies damps my creativity.  The more things I have available to work with the better for me.  As in the dies, stamps, other things to make things to go with what I am using as the main focus.  Which could be why I like tools and product (product as in paints, inks, mediums, and gesso).  As long as I have that kind of thing I have unlimited supplies always.  I still have the glitter glue I bought years ago which I still use on some projects, so once I purchase something it is usually around for the long haul unless it dries up, which really upsets me when things dry up.  I don't have so many embellishments because I have found that premade embellishments are not always the right color or texture and if I make embellishments they can be any color or texture I want.....

So if I haven't confused the issue entirely I like unlimited choices but not premade choices.
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 11:12:13 AM »
What terrific posts! TY All!

LOL, Heidi! "Make it work" is you, me & Tim Gunn (Project Runway)!

Jan. Your 'vanilla' is always more than tasty & definitely never bland--rather its rich & complex in flavor. As are all of us who share our work here @ AI. Good tip on using the catalogs. I get 3 phonebooks each year & use them the same way.

Sadie.  Love your phrase--unlimited choices; not preconceived ones. Definitely words to create by for all of us!

Melissa. Great take on using limited stashes of tools like punches in novel ways, rather than just continually buying new ones!

Keep them thots & posts coming folks!
Daniel