Author Topic: Archival inks  (Read 2122 times)

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
Archival inks
« on: January 07, 2015, 12:49:26 PM »
I was looking at the Ranger inks, since I was going to choose one to try with a gift card I have.  I looked to the Adirondack inks (though not sure if I should go that route with the mention on the CHA thread of Ranger discontinuing that line possibly) and I also looked at their Archival inks....which made me think:

I thought Mementos are archival?---which I looked and they say Archival safe.

So when an ink pad is named "Archival Ink" by a brand (in this case "Ranger's Archival Inks"), how is that different from other inks ("Mementos" for example)?  Or is their a difference? 
~~Melissa :)

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Re: Archival inks
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 01:25:02 PM »
Well, the biggest difference between Archival and Memento is that you can watercolor with Archival and Memento will bleed. 

I think the term "archival" has to do with being fade resistent (eta or maybe acid free).  But Archival brand ink is also permenent.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 01:39:53 PM by howdyheidi »
~~Heidi~~

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 01:34:49 PM »
I really love Archival inks! Especially some of the Wendy Vecchi line.

I think they're great to have if you plan to do any type of water coloring. I think Heidi is right with both being fade resistant. I know a lot of people like memento so much because it doesn't bleed with copics.
LeighAnn

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 03:04:07 PM »
What you point out makes sense Heidi.  I only have a black archival ink form Ranger and have not used it with water that I can recall---not sure why b/c now that you pointed that out, I read right on the label "waterproof"!  I will be trying that one for sure now that that has been brought to my attention.  I thought that I was suppose to use Mementos when using water to color----maybe I was getting water and alcohol mixed up---and I have had images bleed with some water based markers...that would explain it.. ( I have had very very pale alcohol marker colors (peaches and light skin tone colors, pale yellows) bleed just a slight bit with Mementos too, but maybe I needed to let the ink outline dry even longer or heat set it to be sure.

I will look at the Wendy Vecchi line too LeighAnn!  I wonder if the Ranger Archival Inks and the Wendy Vecchi line are the same---I'll look on their website and see. 

Edit to add:  I just looked on Ranger's website and I see the difference b/w Ranger's Archival inks and the Wendy Vecchi line---it looks like there are different colors between the two. 
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 03:06:25 PM by yellowcherrios »

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2015, 09:44:02 PM »
Here is another thought...

Ranger's Black Archival Ink will serve you well in seasoning your clear stamps to stamp much clearer with water based inks and other images you want to color.

You might want to consider purchasing 1 package of alcohol inks for some challenges in March and beyond.

PS I do love Wendy's archival colors...but pay far more attention to Ranger's color chart than the package colors.

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2015, 10:21:53 AM »
Jan to use archival inks as a clear stamp primer---how do I do that using my black archival ink pad and not contaminate my yellow dye ink pad (for example)?

and good idea on the alcohol inks!! 

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2015, 12:04:23 PM »
Jan to use archival inks as a clear stamp primer---how do I do that using my black archival ink pad and not contaminate my yellow dye ink pad (for example)?

This is Tim Holtz directions based on his  knowledge of the product's chemistry.  Cleaners contain oil to keep the rubber soft which do not mix with the inks-particularly with distress inks causing the beading and unclear stamped images.

Tim suggests "seasoning" clear stamps-wipe stamp with clean cloth, then ink stamp with black archival ink, let dry a minute+ and wipe off any excess ink.  Ready for use with any non-solvent inks. Clean stamp after use with damp cloth/water only.  You should not experience color contamination if you follow this method. 

If you feel you must use cleaners for your stamps this method is not for you.