Author Topic: Spending Freeze  (Read 5557 times)

Offline Looser

• Stampers
Re: Spending Freeze
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2015, 12:05:58 PM »
...I truly think this is because you have enough that you aren't actively aware of what you have.  If you don't look through your stamps frequently, or file away the supplies in a place where you don't look at  them, I think you are less likely to use them. My two cents there...

Excellent point, Heidi! Reviewing what we have on a regular basis can help--even when the stuff is not well-organized (like mine). :laughhard:
Daniel

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2015, 11:14:47 AM »
I will buy adhesive and cardstock as needed. Lucky for me I got a new atg gun for Christmas and should be set for a while. I do still like using tombow liquid adhesive for some things still.
I never thought about ink as a need. Lol, it kind of falls into both categories for me!

That's such a good point, Heidi! Melissa, I own a lot of EF but find myself using the same handful over and over.

That makes me wonder if highly organized crafters use their things more and use more variety of stamps, products? I'm not disorganized but I'm not super organized either.

LeighAnn

Offline SWLady

• Stampers
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2015, 11:35:42 AM »
Ok, I got totally screwed up on my 'freeze' LOL. The only local stamping store left (I just found it about a month ago) is having a 50% off sale as they are moving to online only. I made the mistake of asking the kid if she wanted to go with me! We spet about $40 but got some neat stamps and a few other things.

One of Heidi's cards that I love is done with a stamp that says 'unmounted rubber'. What does that mean? if I were to buy it, would i have to buy something else to mount it?

Again, so much for my freeze, hehehe

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2015, 11:44:48 AM »
Hey Kathy?.  Which stamp do you mean?

Unmounted rubber does not have cling cushion on it.  You could purchase cling cushion if you want. I certainly prefer using that.  However, I just usually use double stick tape and tape it to my acrylic block.

It sounds like you got a good deal.  Sorry your stamp store is closing! I hope you will make some projects with your new supplies and share them in the gallery.
~~Heidi~~

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2015, 12:14:38 PM »
Kathy at least you were helping support a local business!
It stinks they're closing. I'm curious to just how many stamp/scrapbooking store there are now?

There is only one local to me. They used to have an okay selection of stamps but the store downsized a couple of years ago and now it's pretty much just scrapbooking stuff.
LeighAnn

Offline SWLady

• Stampers
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2015, 12:32:27 PM »
Crafty Individuals Summer Meadow, you used it in your analagous project.

Hey Kathy?.  Which stamp do you mean?

Unmounted rubber does not have cling cushion on it.  You could purchase cling cushion if you want. I certainly prefer using that.  However, I just usually use double stick tape and tape it to my acrylic block.

It sounds like you got a good deal.  Sorry your stamp store is closing! I hope you will make some projects with your new supplies and share them in the gallery.

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2015, 01:24:44 PM »
...One of Heidi's cards that I love is done with a stamp that says 'unmounted rubber'. What does that mean? if I were to buy it, would i have to buy something else to mount it?

Oh Kathy! Welcome to the world of UMS (unmounted stamps)! When I began stamping, all stamps were rubber & stuck on a block of wood.

As Heidi shares, 'rubber only' is just that. It's my fave version of my fave stamp material--rubber.

Do you need to buy extras to use unmounted stamps? I say "No".

Long as I have a gluestick & a plastic 'something', I can use the UMS.

Your post speaks to me in so many ways, pal! Before there was something called the Craft Industry. individuals learned how to use what was available & share what they learned with their family & friends. AI does the same thing.

Don't mistake me. I have great respect for crafting as an Industry. I've made a few bucks from it. But I have a greater apprecition for the aspect of crafting (any craft) that has its basis in one-to-one sharing with family & friends.

So glad we have that here @ AI!
Daniel

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2015, 11:53:08 AM »
LOL, Melissa! 'Moms' are smart, hain't?! "Not sure about..." is a decision as she says. Ever see any of those shows where the individual is presented with a ton of options for color, pattern, etc.? They have only a few seconds to say 'yea' or 'nay' & even a slight hesitation is counted as a nay vote. The results are often a clear indication of the person's 'true' creative self.

I thought of your statement throughtout the weekend Daniel while I was out-of-town and thought it'd be so interesting to use this idea to see how it stacks up to deciding on a craft item! 

I wanted to reply to Melissa's thought about not using things once you have a collection of them.  I truly think this is because you have enough that you aren't actively aware of what you have.  If you don't look through your stamps frequently, or file away the supplies in a place where you don't look at  them, I think you are less likely to use them. 
My two cents there...
  Heidi, I totally agree.  The cool thing was that writing out that question helped me to see what you said before you said it---but then when you said the above statement, it reinforced that idea more......if that makes sense.   :D

Our talk of spending freeze helped me put back a few items I found on clearance at HL over the weekend.....but then I later returned and bought them.   :-\  BUT waiting allowed me to take the time to RE-think if I do want to invest in allowing space for these items and the time to playing with them.....b/c when you buy something, you are committing craft room space to that item and time to play with that item that gets taken away from other crafting time (this statement is an idea I am reminding myself for spending....  :smile:).  I was able to get a few "Liquitex Ink!" to try and I am about to visit more relative later this week and this weekend that may lead to finding a few more ink bottles....thus I am not putting myself on a spending freeze yet..... But I loved how this thread really did help me put other items back and gave me things to think about etc.
~~Melissa :)

Offline CaribbeanGirl

• Stampers
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2015, 01:45:14 PM »
I spent the whole day yesterday organizing my scrappy stuff, and now I am officially on a buying freeze!!  :o I swear I could honestly have my own scrapbook store!  :laughhard: I did spend the day today using my stash though. My February scrapbook kit will be here Friday, so I used the entire kit from January to finish eight layouts. I am pretty dang proud of myself for that  O0
Warning: Easily Distracted By Glitter

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2015, 12:28:50 PM »
18 days in the spending freeze, I thought I would give an update.

I did buy adhesive. Without it, I would not have been able to go on creating cards.

I am finding out that there are a few things I really need.  It is aggravating me that I cannot buy:

1) new cuttlebug b plates.  Mine are so warped they are not always cutting dies the first time. 
2) a stamp scrubber and stamp cleaner.  I have a horrible time still getting the versafine ink off certain stamps. 
3) I believe my spending freeze ends before Winterfest, so I will still be able to purchase the gesso I will need to do LeighAnn's challenge, but then again, I would have liked to have purchased it ahead to feel ready.

I have seen a lot of stamp sales!  Having been on this freeze has helped me not purchase any.  Especially for Christmas stamps, I am making due just find using what I have.

I am really NOT missing having a wider variety of stamps at this time as I definitely have a lot that have not been used much.  I am starting to put the ones I do not want to use again aside to give away and make more space in my small craft area.

In addition, I have started revisiting what I have pinned on pinterest, especially pins using stamps I have. Then I am actually trying to use the ideas from the pins to make a project.  It gives you a "new" feeling without buying anything new.

Melissa, I loved how you thought about you stamp purchase before you bought them to make sure you really wanted them!
~~Heidi~~

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2015, 07:17:08 AM »
I've done good. I have some gift cards from Christmas and my birthday that I have used some. I did get some stamps that I've had on my wish list for a while. I bought a circle dies set that I needed and a new trimmer blade. Today I'm ordering some more inks and the HA flourish stamp that Heidi and Daria use! I can't resist it any longer! I'm glad to say that I've only used my gift cards so far. I'm using up the one I have left today when I place my order. After that I plan to continue my freeze. I have way too much that needs to be put to good use.

Heidi, oh dear. Your b plates has reminded me that I will probably have to replace mine too. Both of mine are taped up and are starting to get really warped.
Good for you on using willpower on the sales!

April, lol I think paper multiples while we sleep!
LeighAnn

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2015, 08:17:15 AM »
LeighAnn, a new trimmer blade would have to go in the same category as adhesives.  And if the B plates actually stop working, that goes into the need category too.

I am glad you got the leafy vines stamp. It is a favorite of mine. I even used it on a Christmas card once, and it is a go-to stamp for Sympathy cards. 

~~Heidi~~