Author Topic: Sorting thru stamps and found---  (Read 1866 times)

Offline Utah Ann

• Stampers
Sorting thru stamps and found---
« on: February 08, 2015, 01:00:45 PM »
that I am getting rid of stamps that make small images because the images are too small for me to color- and most of them require more than one color.    Maybe it is because I am getting older.  Or the stamps are older.  These stamps do not look good with just one color. 

Just throwing this out for discussion.  I already wear glasses and it is way difficult to use a magnifying glass.

Anyone else like their stamps medium sized or larger stamps better.

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Re: Sorting thru stamps and found---
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 03:20:28 PM »
I like the small stamps sometimes for accents or for making patterned paper.  However, I do share your sentiment about medium sized stamps for focal images! 

~~Heidi~~

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 09:43:50 PM »
I definitely prefer using medium and large images. I have some small single images that I rarely use except for accents or maybe the inside of a card. They are a pain to color!
LeighAnn

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 09:34:06 AM »
When I need an image to be the focus of the card, I do like medium and large stamps---though I am not sure how to use those really really large cling stamps I've seen at Michaels (it's the one that is a butterfly collage and the stamp is around 7x7!!). 

I like to use small and tiny stamps as accents or on envelopes where no coloring is required really. 

I do like some cards that some make using a variety of small images together, I just forget to do such a thing.
~~Melissa :)

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2015, 09:49:12 AM »
When I need an image to be the focus of the card, I do like medium and large stamps---though I am not sure how to use those really really large cling stamps I've seen at Michaels (it's the one that is a butterfly collage and the stamp is around 7x7!!). 

I like to use small and tiny stamps as accents or on envelopes where no coloring is required really. 

I do like some cards that some make using a variety of small images together, I just forget to do such a thing.

I know the butterfly stamp you are talking about, it is inkadinkado cling!  I wondered if it was aimed toward scrapbooking.  THe set has nice images but yes, they are huge!
~~Heidi~~

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2015, 10:00:24 AM »
I thought the same thing Heidi, that maybe it was a "scrapbooking" stamp....but it is a lot of area to clean off afterwards!   ;D

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2015, 10:25:22 AM »
Depending on the small stamps sometimes they work well with a patterned paper background or a ledger page or a typed page.  That way there is no coloring involved.  Sometimes I will take a distress ink and make a background that is multi colored and then stamp on that and use it as a background.  If it is a stamp that will not look good doing those effects then it gets used very little in my craft room.  I so understand the not wanting to use a magnifier to color stamps in, kinda makes it less fun that way. 

To answer the actual question asked: yes I do tend to use medium to larger stamps more unless like I said the stamp lends itself to being one color or using something as a background for the stamp.  I need a bigger stamp if I am going to color it in. 

You must be doing a big overhaul on your stamps.  Isn't it interesting to see how what you are interested in stamping has changed?  I used to put a whole bunch of stamps on a card and now I put a couple not a dozen.  I look at my stamps and remember how I have used them and how I use them now, my use of the same stamps have changed over the years.  You might inspire me to start sorting through some of my stamps and removing those I do not use anymore. 
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2015, 09:59:44 PM »
Sadie, that's a good tip for small stamps!

Melissa and Heidi, I have that stamp set! I bought it I think from Joanns on clearance a year or so ago and I notice my Michaels had it on clearance for $4.99 recently. I purchased it because I really liked the smaller stamps in the set. I've only used the larger one a couple of times. My mom really liked it so I stamped some on to some fabric for her to use for a wall hanging she was making.
LeighAnn

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2015, 09:21:34 AM »
LeighAnn, I liked the other stamps in that set---I may have to run by Michaels when we go to the grocery store to see if ours has it.  I bet the image on fabric looked nice!  great idea to use as a wall hanging! 

I like the idea of using the small stamps on PP.  I forget to try that and instead I usually do like Heidi and have the small stamps MAKE a PP! lol!