Author Topic: Just Imagine! (A Twilight Zone Topic) Stamping-related.  (Read 2374 times)

Offline Looser

• Stampers
Just Imagine! (A Twilight Zone Topic) Stamping-related.
« on: February 08, 2015, 06:12:14 PM »
Apart from all us AI's being stampers, we share another 'something-in-common'. We all have access to this site thu 'technology'.

Some us knew a time when computers, internet & smart phones were undreamed of, but I suspect the majority of AI's never knew a time when it wasn't possible to surf the net & find info about how-tos, products, etc. for our crafting prederliction (stamping).

For purposes of this chat, we're going to pretend that the 'net' has gone done for the foreseeable future. No online groups, shopping, information, yadda, yadda.

The postal service still works, along with telephones--including cell phones--but the internet super highway has gone missing! You are 'allowed' to retain your acquired knowledge of stamping & such, but acquiring more can't be done via that route.

What would you do? (cue the Twilight Zone music) #>
Daniel

Offline Yankee

• Stampers
Re: Just Imagine! (A Twilight Zone Topic) Stamping-related.
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 07:54:59 PM »
Cry, and complain to everyone!
Born on the fourth of July

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 08:22:07 PM »
I guess I would probably look through the magazines I have more often, go to the library and check out art books and possibly seek out a real life stamping group. 

Actually, when I think about those things, some of those are what are going out of business now.  Stamping magazines, and I heard that Stampin Up (which operates frequently on stamping groups getting together to craft and buy things) is restructuring how they pay their demos.  Stamping stores that often ran classes are out of business, etc.

~~Heidi~~

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 09:28:17 AM »
I would read books and magazines----I'm using what I did to learn beading when I was young and there was no internet.  Possibly might could try a "kit" of sorts too if I found one in a store, those sometimes will have how-to books/pamphlet included.  I would even look at the kids' section at Michaels for example, and see if there are any kits for the crafts they have for the kids, that I could use in my stamping---since I'd be a "kid" too in my knowledge on some crafts I do not know how to do yet.  :smile: 

I would also check out PBS and see if there were any shows regarding or including stamping/crafting---those shows seem to be late morning and early afternoon.  There is one right now, that's about scrapbooking and sometimes they have stamping included in the layout, so I'd probably watch that show more often to seek out the segments in the show on stamping. 

Go to museums---one thing I do now---well this thread has reminded me that I wanted to do---was use things I see at museums in my card making and stamping.  There was a great exhibit that came through our museum last year showing one culture printmaking with various items...it gave me ideas and now I just need to find photos I took (they were allowed for this exhibit) to remind myself again......so I would definitely need a camera in our time machine here!  or a notepad to record ideas.
~~Melissa :)

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2015, 09:32:01 AM »
Melissa, do you have any idea what the PBS show is called. I would like to see if my local channel carries it. TY.
~~Heidi~~

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2015, 09:43:58 AM »
I found it Heidi!!  It looks like our PBS station changed their program line-up---the show used to be at 11:30 or noon during the week (I thought each day), but now it's only on Sunday.  It's called "Scrapbook Soup" and it looks like this Sunday they are going to talk about making your own embellishments.  I may have to set a recorder....which is another thing I would use in our time-machine!   :laugh:
~~Melissa :)

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2015, 10:52:47 AM »
LOL!  Well back in the olden days when I started stamping there wasn't an internet or cell phones so I can tell you exactly what I did to gain inspiration.  I went to the local scrapbooking store and looked through her samples and stamps (she closed quit a few years ago now).  I bought crafting magazines from the LSS back when there were stamping magazines, scrapbooking magazines, and papercrafting magazines.  I have not bought one of those in years.  I also bought the stamp company's magazines, they were the thick books that showed all the stamps they had for sale and they showed projects that were done with those products.  I miss those books.  Every big stamp company had a book they put out once a year.  You used to be able to buy them and look through them all year. 

But now I am not sure what I would do if the interwebs disappeared.  Most of the things that used to inspire me have been replaced by the youtube, blogs, and websites.  I would be so lost....  I haven't even mentioned buying any of the neat things online, I would have to drive 90-150 miles away to go to  a LSS, Michaels, Joanns, or Hobby Lobby. 

I forgot to mention PBS, they used to have all kinds of crafty, sewing, and painting shows on Saturday afternoons.  I spent many Saturday afternoons watching Bob Ross, I can't remember the lady's name who did the crafting show or the one who did the sewing show.  I still use some of the ideas from Bob Ross's show though.  Happy backgrounds, happy trees, happy everything.  I still hear his voice every now and then saying just put it up there, get started, the rest will come out of what you put down.(something like that)

I guess I have a few postal addresses of the crafty people I have "met" on here so we would need to use that to start a group swap.  Man it would take a while tho to get a hold of everyone and then mail out postcards for the challenges and then mail the challenges around so everyone could see them.  WOW what a pain that would be.  We did not get the internet or a computer for that matter until 2000, I cannot believe how dependent we have gotten on the interwebs in 15 years.....what can I say, I love the interwebs!  Now I am depressed thinking about not having them.......(*cry)
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2015, 09:53:43 PM »
 I can't imagine, no internet! No thanks.

I think I would start a group. I would probably put more effort in getting friends into stamping. A lot of my friends IRL have crafting hobbies but none are stampers!

I too would probably check out books more at the library for inspiration.

LeighAnn

Offline CaribbeanGirl

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2015, 04:38:37 PM »
I would be traveling to LeighAnn's since she isn't too far from me  #>
Warning: Easily Distracted By Glitter

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2015, 10:43:22 AM »
April, yes! That would be so fun!!!! :D O0
LeighAnn

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2015, 02:52:02 PM »
Cry,

That was my first thought too.  :'(  Mostly because I would miss AIs.

I'm a big fan of buying kits as a starting point for new craft endeavors.  Not only do they come with instructions, it is a way to sample a craft before investing too much money into it.  I also have a collection of the books they used to sell at Michael's.  They were soft covered and usually only around 20-40 pages with crafting ideas and directions on how to make the item. 

I really miss the Carol Duvall show, which used to be on TLC for a while. 

Hey Sadie - you can still buy catalogs from Hero Arts and Impression Obsession has a compilation catalog you can buy.  They also put their catalogs on-line, but unfortunately in Daniel's post-apocalyptic  world, you wouldn't be able to access those.  Perhaps with the death of the internet, more catalogs will become available for purchasing.   :smile:
Sarah