Author Topic: Making stencils from dies?  (Read 5561 times)

Offline Looser

• Stampers
Making stencils from dies?
« on: February 12, 2015, 12:38:09 PM »
Although I ran across dies (& diecuts) years ago, I didn't really start getting 'into' using them until recently. I was more a 'punches' fan.

But with the advance of wafer thin metal dies & my own background in stenciling, I'm discovering how well many of them can be used to create useful tools for stamping & more. My most recent use of this technique was part of a project I made for a Feb 2015 KIAE.

On the righthand side you'll see the arch I stenciled. A bit 'tilted', but still works.  :smile: What made using this die easy was that it resulted in just 3 pieces--outline, diecut & center.  To use it, I placed the 3 parts on the surface & removed the diecut. That provided me with the space/shape to stencil.  I could have used the same 3 parts in other ways & may well make a few to share. But... I'm much more interested in hearing responses to the topic from fellow AIs.

Feel free to share experience, questions & more. But I will ask that posts to this thread stick with dies-as-stencils--rather than punches & such.  ;)
Daniel

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Re: Making stencils from dies?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 03:49:26 PM »
The stenciled arch was a very nice touch!

I have not made my own stencils with dies, but I plan to!  I am not going to divulge the details because I might offer it as a challenge. hmmmmm.
~~Heidi~~

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 06:05:06 PM »
The stenciled arch was a very nice touch!

I have not made my own stencils with dies, but I plan to!  I am not going to divulge the details because I might offer it as a challenge. hmmmmm.

Perfectly fine with your 'non-divluge' on the details, pal. BTDT as a craft-professional & understand where you're 'at' as you develop your version.

Looking forward to seeing your 'plan to' & 'might' become a reality. That said? The number of 'great' ideas I left behind as I crafted is pretty large.  And I was amazed at how many of my designer peers where in the same boat as moi. 

So much for that... Anyone else thinking about this dies > stencils ?
Daniel

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 11:08:17 AM »
I am interested in learning how dies are stencils---but I see your thread two different ways Daniel so I want to double check which you meant: do you mean using the dies themselves as a stencil OR do you mean the die-cut that came from using the die as a stencil?

Along the lines of using the die itself: I always see on a package of Spellbinders it says "Cut - Emboss - Stencil" and I always thought "how do you stencil with it?"--- I always assumed the stenciling was when people run the die through the machine, then color over it while the CS was still in the die.  But now that I see plastic stencils in the store, I'm figuring maybe others lay the metal die on their CS and pounce around the die with a sponge? 

What does "stencil" from the "Cut - Emboss - Stencil" on the Spellbinders package mean to everyone else?   ???
~~Melissa :)

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2015, 11:48:28 AM »
Melissa, I have wondered what spellbinders means too! 

I have die cut something, then sponged around the inside like it is a stencil.  I have also tried using the shape as a stencil and then drawing a shape with a pen (did not turn out great, though). 

I thought Daniel was talking about cutting a stencil with his die cut into a piece of acetate (like a scrap from packaging).  That is what I was thinking at least!!!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2015, 12:47:24 PM »
Spellbinders has several great tutorial videos including how to use dies as a stencil.

Yes Daniel, I started cutting stencils from acetate when the Cuttlebug was 1st sold. Lol I tried running everything I could think of through my machine that season! That was years before stencils became popularized for card making.  I was excited about cutting acetate since I had broken a few punches earlier when trying to make more permanent stencils than paper...until I learned their various cutting capabilities which generally does not include acetate.

One of the fun ways to use your own stencils is to make a multi-layered scrap cereal box material stencil and then use it for adding an accent with modeling/texture paste.  This will provide more depth than the traditional stencil and will add more emphasis. Yes, this may take a little longer to dry. 

Can't wait til I can look at your gallery post Daniel.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 10:10:11 PM by Far North »

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2015, 12:21:28 PM »
Right now on the create and craft channel they are using spellbinders as stencils.  They are using the outsides from the die cut and ink.  LOL  Of course they want you to buy the dies and the grand calibur but it is interesting anyway.
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2015, 01:00:07 PM »
I definitely think that is one of the draws of dies! I don't have very many at all but would love to own more some day.

Its probably not what Daniel was getting at but I've used my cricut to cut designs to use as a stencil.
I usually will cut the item twice and glue together to add sturdiness to it.
LeighAnn

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2015, 01:21:33 PM »
WTG, all, with your feedback on the topic! And Big TYs for those posts that help me clarify what I'm talking about. it ALWAYS helps.

For (my) purposes of this chat, I'm looking at keeping the initial tryout for this technique as 'KISS'-able as possible. So let's start with what we get when we diecut any material--CS, plastic, etc. We always get a diecut & an 'outline' leftover'. Depending on how detailed the die's pattern is, we may have a simple 'core' leftover (MB's Gothic Arch) or multiple cores (MB's Tessatina Border). Lots of the Nestabilities sets have dies with/without 'cores' & can be 'nested' to create a 'core'. With me so far? 'Sok if it's "No".  ;D I have faith that we'll all get this as we progress.

Next thing? For this chat, I'm looking to do all the 'die-stenciling' directly to the project surface--no layers other than by masking. That lets me play enough to keep me busy AND watching what I need to do in what order. ;) :laugh:

I'm working on samples to share, but figure this info is enough to get started. Feel free to explore links to videos & such, but... I swear my take on this is just that. Didn't check out what/how any other company/designer has done.  :smitten:

Next question--or (better still) shared example of your own making!?   
Daniel

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2015, 02:41:19 PM »
Great tip LeighAnn about making two die and glueing together for support!   O0

I would love to see examples if anyone has any additional ones.....helps the visual learner in me.   :smile:  I may have used the die as a stencil last week on a birthday card I was making---but the paint I brushed onto the die-cut while it was still in the die, would seep through the die onto the edge of the die....probably just too liquid for that purpose.  Ended up scrapping the idea.....I'll look this weekend and see if I still have the ones I tried to make to show...
~~Melissa :)

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2015, 02:34:14 PM »
I have done this.  In fact, last month, I used a die cut circle included in my received kit as a stencil.

Flower Tag

I just held the shape to the paper and colored in the spaces with a marker.

I also made stencils for a kit last year using a spellbinder heart die.  I included the cut-out heart shape in the kit and the squares of paper I cut the hearts out of. I used the outline leftover to stencil for my project and added stamped hearts to the center of the stenciled ones. 
Here is the kit.  You can see the stencils in the bottom left corner:
October 2014 Kit

And here you can see how I used them:
Calendar Page
Sarah

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2015, 03:47:07 PM »
Awesome examples Sarah!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2015, 12:53:23 PM »
I used a Sizzix mountain die (oldie but goodie thick die) a few weeks ago as a mask and a stencil.  Didn't cut it out of any special material, it was just for a one-time use.  I masked the sky (with the negative section left after die-cutting) to keep it clean while I stenciled in the mountains.  Then I used the actual die cut to mask the mountains while I inked the sky.  And I will confess, I had the tell-tale white line between the mountains and the sky because I wasn't perfect, and probably used thickish paper ... so you can see where I inked up a cut 'n dry nib with brown ink and drew in kind of a craggy mountain surface.

Hubby's bday card
Cindi

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2015, 02:43:29 PM »
Very cool use of dies to stencil with, Cindi.
Sarah

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2015, 03:13:04 PM »
Great example, Cindi! 
~~Heidi~~