Author Topic: My mess with Alcohol Inks -  (Read 5008 times)

Offline Utah Ann

• Stampers
My mess with Alcohol Inks -
« on: February 17, 2015, 01:04:01 PM »
While working on my challenge for our upcoming challenges.  I have been playing with Alcohol Inks and also reinkers.  Next time, I go shopping am getting some clear gloves to wear.  My hands are stained in a rainbow of colors and my projects are not to my liking (except one). 

How do you'll create such beautiful pieces with the AI's? 

I am not a messy person and don't like crafts that are messy.  I have tried the alcohol inks on glossy paper, regular paper, and water color paper..  Used the baby wipe technique (which sounded really fun) and that did not turn out like the pictures on Pinterest. 

I have not thrown them (AI's) out yet, but they are sitting on the edge of the trash can.  I have used the blending mix and tool.  I have used the fixative. 

Spend considerable time playing, researching, and looking on Pinterest.   One of my options for my challenge started out as using AI for the background of the card and then it sat on my desk, while I looked at it and thought Ugly.  But with some additions it turned into something that I like. 

Please give me some help or rather giver the AI's some help so they don't end up in the trash.

Offline Far North

• Stampers
Re: My mess with Alcohol Inks -
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 02:31:48 PM »
Ann, Hold on to those alcohol inks!!!

When we had a forum discussion (post-Christmas) on challenges for the upcoming month I indicated I would host a few AI technique challenges beginning in March...and am still planning on doing that a few weeks after winterfest.  I love my AI's and no matter what technique you do for WF no worries it will not interfere with my future challenges.

When Tim taught us about alcohol inks he provided rubber gloves so you definitely are not the only person who doesn't like messy hands.  In the meantime you might try hand sanitizer (which contains rubbing alcohol) or AI blending solution to try to clean your hands.

AI backgrounds like some other background techniques often do not look good standing alone.  Some black stamping on them or on layered pieces makes a tremendous difference. So I understand how you now like your card more than the background...it frequently happens.

AI inks where designed for non-porous surfaces so I have worked with adding them to lots of other materials other than paper.  While they can be added to regular cardstock and watercolor they are quickly absorded and lose their vibrancy. And so much ink is used-yikes!

Ann, it sounds like you are one the right track...just buy some thin disposable medical type gloves and you will be good for another round of Ai backgrounds and hosting a great challenge! Please speak up if you have other concerns!

...Jan

PS...not sure why you would need a fixative for alcohol inks since they dry almost instantly...or did you mean you used one of the metallic mixatives?  Very small amounts of mixtives can be added but too much can  quickly over power the look of a background.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 03:07:39 PM by Far North »

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 04:40:03 PM »
I am glad Jan replied here!

I am waiting for your challenge Jan. 

I have no experience with alcohol inks and I actually haven't purchased any yet.  I was looking to purchase a set of 3 with a coupon, but I find some of the color combinations to be rather odd.  I was wondering if anyone recommended a particular set of colors that is easier to work with than others.

I have seen pretty AI stuff on metal! 
~~Heidi~~

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 07:58:16 PM »
I love my AIs.  But I don't mind messy fingers.  And pretty much every time I use them, my fingers end up multicolored for a day or so.  I've used them on glossy cardstock and acetate.  Although, I bought some new acetate from Amazon and I was having some issues with the ink.

Heidi - some color combos I've used:

For fall backgrounds:
Sunshine Yellow
Sunset Orange
Red Pepper
Cranberry

and on a couple, I also added sandal and leamonade.

Examples:
Autumn Greetings

Fall Vellum Card 

Acornia   

For a blue background:
Cloudy Blue
Aqua
Stream
Pool
Cool Peri

For a pink background:
pink sherbert s
shell pink
raspberry
peach bellini
salmon
clover

You can see the pink and blue backgrounds I made as part of October's kits: October kit

To make them, I squeezed drops of the ink directly onto the paper and than added some ink and blending solution to the blending tool and blended around.

And you can order individual colors from create for less   

And now I want to order some more colors.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 08:00:42 PM by Craft Nerd »
Sarah

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 10:40:33 PM »
TY Sarah for giving color suggestions and examples....I too am not sure what colors to start with so this helps!

I am looking forward to your challenge Jan!  Thanks for the reminder .....I'm going to pick up some with a coupon sometime soon. 
~~Melissa :)

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2015, 09:14:17 AM »
My thoughts on purchasing alcohol inks: ...When I purchase paints I often first purchase the primary colors. But alcohol inks are not often used like paints as in blending colors on a palette. They are much more about layering color. Many techniques will use at least 2-3 colors.

Heidi, I agree several of the combo packets have at least 1 color that seems not to be a favorite of mine. Personally I would avoid the soft light colors that can be overpowered with your next set and the very dark browns if possible. I do like the cabin cupboard colors with lighter shades of brown to balance some of the brighter colors but probably not as a 1st and only set for now.  As we will be moving towards spring and summer cards during the alcohol ink challenges I would consider the brighter colors that make me think of types of stamps I enjoy using during those seasons.

Here is a link to Ranger's alcohol ink colors so you can give some thought before you go to the store.     

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2015, 09:52:47 AM »
SO Jan for example, I like the "nature walk kit"---would the colors in that set be TOO different from each other to use?  Should I be getting something more like "tuscan garden kit" instead as a first set?    It's also going to depend on what my stores here are selling; though there still is time to order online if I need. 

Thank you Ann for starting this thread and through it helping us learn the which and hows about the AIs more.   O0

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2015, 09:59:44 AM »
Ann, don't trash them yet!

I definitely think there's a learning curve somewhat to them. I enjoy playing and creating with them.
I think the trick is to use 1-2 colors together at first. I mostly use them on glossy paper and vellum.
If you're not too happy with the way your inked piece comes out run it through an embossing folder.
I have the gold and silver but have never been too successful with them.

I have probably have close to a dozen colors. Most I lucked out on at a yard sale a couple years ago.

My 2 favorite pack colors are the natures walk kit and the farmers market one.  The colors are really pretty and the packs work well together.

Jan, I'm looking forward to your challenge!

Ann, here's an ATC I did sometime last year with an alcohol inked background that embossed with my cuttlebug-

LeighAnn

Offline Utah Ann

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2015, 10:33:10 AM »
Thank you so much for your responses.  Your encouragement  has saved the AI this time.   I will continue to play with them and will not get discouraged. 

Also thanks so much for additional information about the AI's.

Will get some gloves I think.   :smile:

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2015, 10:43:03 AM »
LOL Ann I agree with the "mess" on the hands after using alcohol inks.  I use those medical supply non latex gloves now.  I don't mind a mess if it actually cleans up when I am done but really do not like wearing my craft on my hands for days after.  I do like the backgrounds you can get with alcohol inks though. 

Here is a youtube video with CreaBoetieck using alcohol inks on a tag.  She does way more then I ever get out of alcohol inks and her end project is beautiful.....enjoy!
Alcohol ink youtube
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2015, 11:04:51 AM »
My hands are always dry and thus are very sensitive---so should I be using gloves when using alcohol inks?  Are they going to dry my hands/fingers out if I get them on my skin?

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2015, 11:59:28 AM »
Sadie, thanks for sharing the fabulous video.  CreaBoetieck is one talented artist!  It is fun to watch such a skilled person paint!  Painting in her style uses considerable more ink than using a blending tool as designed for stampers.

Yes Melissa if your hands are sensitive you may want to use gloves since it really is difficult to keep ones hands free from the alcohol ink...and rubbing alcohol/blending solution is the easiest way to remove it which will certainly dry your hands.

I do like the colors in nature walk alcohol ink set.  You can see the wild plum in my card below along with cool peri and purple twilight (click to enlarge)

...Jan

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2015, 06:08:50 PM »
I think nature's walk and farmer's market were the first two sets I got.  And I really like them.

Wow, that video is amazing.  I did something similar to what CreaBoetieck did for the initial layer for my backgrounds and it definitely uses more ink than using the blending tool.

Am I the only one not bothered by having dyed fingers after using AIs? It usually washes off after about a day.

Jan and LeighAnn - the backgrounds you created are fabulous.
Sarah

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2015, 07:32:09 PM »
Thank you so much for the color recommendations. I just spent some time watching the Thinking Inking videos on Youtube (just search for them, it is so nice that the TwoPeas videos are still on there) and I noticed Jennifer McGuire mostly does use tone on tone colors which is what I would probably do to start. 

She shows in the Holiday Thinking Inking video how to use it to create an embossed resist on watercolor paper for a subdued look.  Also, on glossy paper, acetate, glass and fragments. 
~~Heidi~~

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2015, 12:22:25 AM »
Heidi, I don't see alcohol ink tone-on-tone color sets among the choices (other than the browns)...did I miss some?  Unfortunately, alcohol inks can not be shipped here on planes so our stores do carry them...and so I haven't seen the colors other than what is posted.