Author Topic: Architechtural stamps--finding, building, using  (Read 4665 times)

Offline Looser

• Stampers
Architechtural stamps--finding, building, using
« on: March 12, 2015, 03:40:04 PM »
With apologies to an Inkster... One of our members spoke about finding 'architectural' stamps interesting, but unsure how to use them for her work. As I've been a bit busy lately, I neglected to bookmark her post. Hoping she'll see this & respond... #>

Anyhoo... Well before I got into stamping, I had a love of architecture--real & theatrical. When I found that there were mfrs/retailers who carried ASs (Architectural stamps not A*s)  :laughhard:, I was in hog heaven. Beeswax is probably my fave source, but IBFS had/has some good ones, too.

My personal faves for AS is elements--columns, pediments, windows & doors to name a few. That said, I have lots of frame stamps. They often work when I want to 'build' an architecture. Same for Flourish stamps. I can use them to build a setting, too.

How to use? That's where our creavity kicks in... ;)

I'll be posting more, but feel free to share your experience & questions about this topic. :smitten:
Daniel

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
Re: Architechtural stamps--finding, building, using
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 09:13:09 AM »
Hi Daniel!  It was me!   #> 

Thanks for the some retailers/mfrs to check out.  I, of course, am interested in all that is shared on this topic!

My column stamp reminds me of a local building agency--or at least I think they are a building agency; their column distracts me from their purpose, lol---but they have a beautiful column and then their initials on the top and side framing the column.  And it looks fine, and each time I see it, I think "they are using a column which looks fine/great/not out of place and all they accompany the column with are their initials ---now, how do I do that with a card?"

I guess I feel that ~something~ else has to go with the column (for my AS example) when it's on a card----but that should not be true since we often see cards with just a flower or butterfly and maybe/maybe not a sentiment.

What do y'all think---can AS stand on their own without additional stamping buddies?   I think they can--or my logic says so--and I'm going to try it when I get some time....
~~Melissa :)

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 09:14:41 AM »
W/o giving too much of my March ATC away---I'm thinking of using an AS if it works out...going to find that out today and tomorrow...

Thanks Daniel for starting this thread!   O0

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2015, 10:21:23 AM »
Can AS stand alone? Sure. That said, I usually end up adding more images--additional AS &/or non-AS.  A neat thing about images like your column, Melissa, is that they can often be shortened or lengthened to fit a particular space by masking or fussy cuting.

Columns are also great for creating depth/perspective--again, by masking or layering.

Here's a tag I made in 2013. It combines lots of AI with other images...
Daniel

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2015, 10:31:34 AM »
The architectural stamps I see remind me of the Stamscapes type.  You use a lot of them to build a scene.

I think the most natural one to use would be a window.  You could make a scene of what is inside or what is out.
~~Heidi~~

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2015, 10:33:19 AM »
Wow, Daniel!  Your scene is awesome!  Do you remember how many stamps that used?

Also, I really like how you used as the background the brick pathway paper.  So cool.
~~Heidi~~

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2015, 10:47:05 AM »
I think I used 5 AS & 7 non-AS on the piece, Heidi. I believe this was for one of LeighAnn's tag swaps on 2Ps in '13.

...I think the most natural one to use would be a window.  You could make a scene of what is inside or what is out.

I'd agree, but have rarely found 'good size' window/door stamps. Most seem to be on the smaller size. That's one reason I so like having good dies--windows & doors. They are larger & if I want to make them into stamps, I just cut them from craft foam.
Daniel

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2015, 11:22:35 AM »
The architectural stamps I see remind me of the Stamscapes type.  You use a lot of them to build a scene.

Great idea Heidi!  I have a couple stampscapes---I'll try combining them together and see what I get!  TY! 

Cool piece Daniel!  You get to be a builder/architect but with stamps and paper!   O0

Daniel, with your having to down-size, did you notice if you tended to keep more of your AS or non-AS?

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2015, 11:28:47 AM »
Daniel, I remember that piece! That's one fantastic scene you made O0

I agree with Heidi, a window image I think would be a good starting point for AI. A door might also be a good starting point. I love the look and possibilities of architectural images but I think I would struggle to use them to achieve the results I would want. I'm bad about getting something In my head and get frustrated when it doesn't work out when I try and create it.
LeighAnn

Offline Utah Ann

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2015, 09:47:16 AM »
I remember your AS pieces Daniel, and they inspired me to start looking for these times stamps and collecting, alas, I have not used them much - still waiting for the call to use them.  I am not sure how  would use them, but this thread has me thinking about them and maybe making this a personal challenge.  Also my favorite die cuts are my arches ones.

Got me thinking and maybe planning.

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2015, 10:01:00 AM »
Your AS projects are always so cool, Daniel. I have not really tried to combine any and I don't have many anyway. If I use an AS it is usually a door or window by itself with a scene. I do like making scenes with stamps, but I have not tried combining AS stamps. I might play to see what I come up with.

Stampwilly

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2015, 10:37:36 AM »
Thanks Ann & April.  I'm pretty sure I shipped most of my AS down to Florida. & I too love my arch dies, Ann--along with the several window & doors I have.

Ann. I'm curious. What AS have you collected?

Far as finding reasons to combine various AS? That's ok, but I often find that when I just 'play' with a few stamps, the 'reason' presents itself quickly--usually something I hadn't even considered. KWIM?
Daniel

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2015, 01:37:23 AM »
I have always enjoyed Stampington and Companyclassic architecture stamps. The wooden base stamps are somewhat spendy but I have bought a single one every few years to put in my collection and each one is special.

Also I recently found 6x6 stencils from The Crafter's Workshop-Rebekah Meier Designs.  She has several window elements that I think are wonderful. Here is a view of them.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 11:52:40 AM by Far North »

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2015, 11:39:33 AM »
TY for the links, Jan. Saw a couple stamps on Stampington that I wouldn't mind having--the  'Home' elements set looks like fun. While I toured the site somewhat quickly, I wish Stampington was a bit more consistant in sharing the size of a given stamp & I wouldn't mind if all their rubberstamps were available in unmounted forms. But they do have lots of great images.

I also like lots of the stencils on the other site. Like you, I could so see myself using them in combination with my diecuts to create wonderful windows & more.
Daniel

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2015, 11:19:08 AM »
Daniel - that ATC is fabulous.

I have to admit that while I love the piece I've seen created with AS stamps, I'm not personally drawn to them to add to my stamping collection.  I think part of it is that I don't tend to create scenes with my stamping.  And when I do, they tend to be nature scenes.  So maybe some window stamps would be the gateway stamp for me (kinda like marijuana being a gateway drug).  :laughhard:

I do however want some window dies, since I've seen some cool projects posted using window dies and those little die shapes, which is my latest crafty addiction.  I just posted a bunch of cards I created with those on my blog.  Easter Scenes

But as for stamps, I think I'll stick to just admiring other people's work.  At least for now.
Sarah