Author Topic: Watercoloring of stamped images.  (Read 1623 times)

Offline Utah Ann

• Stampers
Watercoloring of stamped images.
« on: March 05, 2015, 04:52:03 PM »
This is something that I want to start doing, but I have no learning curve. 

I have some supplies (Distressed inks, Staedtler Water colour pencilsl,  and aqua pens).  I am probably late to this technique, but better late than never.

Do you have a favorite tutorial that you would share with me.  Are there any other supplies that I might need - saw one tutorial that suggested Crayola water colors.

Please help me start out on this.

Also what should I stamp my images with and on what type of paper.

Thanks for your help, suggesetions, tutorials.

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Re: Watercoloring of stamped images.
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 05:32:12 PM »
Watercolor paper will really help a lot.  I stamp with Archival ink or Versafine usually.

Here is a great stamper who watercolors a lot of her images

http://peppermintpattys-papercraft.blogspot.com

and another

http://mamadinis.blogspot.com

I think you can use just about anything to watercolor with.  I like to use my markers, watercolor pencils or just smoosh the distress inks on the craft mat and then pick up with a brush.

~~Heidi~~

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 03:41:12 PM »
I love watercoloring. It's really a fun way to color up images and make backgrounds for cards.

Heidi gave some great tips and links. I agree definitely get some watercolor paper. I've had good luck with Canson and strathmore brands. A cheap pad that works really great to is one I found at target. The brand is kids made modern, it's in the school supply section and around $3 for a pad of it.

I have used crayola paints and they work well. I like coloring with distress inks a lot.  I Have a hard time with watercolor pencils so that's a medium  I want to work with more.
Probably my favorite right now is Tombow and marvy watercolor markers. I tend to have better control with the color with those.

If you like watching you tube videos, Kristina Werner has tons of helpful and fun to watch watercolor videos. her channel is k Werner design.
Sandy Allnock also has done several watercolor videos recently.

Good luck and just  remember to have fun with them O0
LeighAnn

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 04:00:24 PM »
Ann. Sometimes it's wonderfully useful to have no 'learning curve' (aka--How does this work). Most (not all) of my crafting started with little or nothing to access for lots of info--even supplies in some cases. So you're in good shape--if you can relax & not worry too much about how you 'should' do what you want to do.

First off, I agree with Heidi about getting some watercolor paper. I wouldn't overthink what kind. Long as it has some weight & isn't overly textured, you'll be fine. Trust me, pal! :knuppel2: :laughhard:

Next. Make sure you have some ink that is 'waterproof' if you want to use watercolor to color stamped images. StazOn would be my recommendation. And with the 'midis', you don't need to purchase large pads.

Now comes the watercolors... ITA with Heidi that lots of waterbased inks--markers & pads--will work. A good pack of markers (Crayola) may be the way to start. They'll allow you a bit of 'control' so you won't be as concerned about that.  You can always get more stuff later, but start simple.

You might want a good brush or two. I'd get a flat & a round. You'll be able to use them to wet your surface; apply, move & blend the watercolor.

If you have access to a Public Library, I strongly recommend visiting it & seeing if they have any books on Watercolor Basics--washes, dry-brush, etc. Unlike the interenet, you can keep the book handy while you're developing your ability--aka 'learning curve'.  And... You might pick up an inexpensive set of cake watercolors--those little round cakes of paint that many of us used as kids. Check the kids' aisle where crayons & such are sold.

Hope that helps, Ann. Go forth & have fun! #> 
Daniel

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2015, 03:24:26 PM »
Lots of great tips from everyone already!

The one thing I rarely hear from watercolor stampers is how to remove the problems. So my tip is to keep tissues, rag or paper towels within reach when watercoloring and if too much color or water gets on your work lightly soak it up with the edge of your drying material or a clean dry brush.  Lightly blotting can also work but be careful not to rub the paper since it can be very delicate.  If any unwanted color remains continue adding  a tad more water and carefully remove again.  Note it is almost impossible to add more color once the area is dry because a color will migrate to the edge leaving a highly pigmented edge.

And my second tip is to keep any open beverages on the opposite side of your dominate work area with your colors and water containers.  This had saved me from knocking over my dirty water container more than once!

A couple of my favorites watercolorists work on the Penny Black design team and use stamps in their work.
Jill Marshall and Elizabeth Allen both members share a the blog- Studio session:  http://www.studiosessionsart.blogspot.com/
Jill frequently makes videos-many which feature watercoloring
I particularly like this one from last Christmas: Link to video

Heather Telford's  blog is Bits and Pieces:  http://cards.heathertelford.com 
She occasionally makes a video and tutorials.

Playing with colors are happy moments...Enjoy!

« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 07:41:30 PM by Far North »

Offline Utah Ann

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 02:55:27 PM »
Thanks for all of your comments.  I am working on the Oldies Challenge - have my background done in watercoloring.  I make two and threw away the first.  I like the 2nd one and now just have to add an "In Flight"  piece.

Will continue to come back to this thread or will print it off for reference.