Author Topic: Stamped Easter Projects--non-card  (Read 1279 times)

Offline Looser

• Stampers
Stamped Easter Projects--non-card
« on: March 19, 2015, 10:42:23 AM »
LeighAnn's post (today) mentions a lady who was stamping to make some Easter jars & such. So I thot it might be fun to share about Easter projects we might do that are not cards. I figure many AIs will do & share those elsewhere on the forum/gallery.

To join in the conversation just share ideas, plans, etc. that include stamping as part of the process. You don't have to be actively making something, however.

Some projects that might get the conversation started... decorated eggs, baskets, bonnets, potted flowers, yadda, yadda.

Questions, pics, links, etc. are welcome. ;)
Daniel

Offline Looser

• Stampers
Re: Stamped Easter Projects--non-card
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 11:01:03 AM »
When it comes to Easter projects, nothing could be simpler than to start with the egg. Whether real ones or the plastic treat-holder type, eggs are lots of fun to decorate & (despite the curved surface) are not too difficult to stamp on.

Now's the time to use those small stamps many of us have. No small stamps? 'Sok. Pencil erasers make great stamps, too. AND the erasers can also be used to 'mount' those tiny stamps. Just swipe the eraser with a gluestick & it will hold your stamp.

The shell of real eggs is very good at accepting lots of different media--dyes, inks, paints, crayons, etc.

With the plastic ones, you may have to test to see what works on them. If you spray them with a matte finish before stamping they will usually accept even dye inks.

Want to use your larger stamps? Fine! Try placing the stamp--die up--on a firm work surface. Load it & roll the egg over the image. Or... Stamp your images on tissue paper & glue them to the shell.

Daniel

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 11:48:42 AM »
I have sometimes stamped on easter eggs using a special food dye ink pad that you wet with water.  I will have to see if I can dig it up.  It is tedious and I don't do all the eggs with it, but it is fun.

I saw a cute product at Target yesterday.  It was an easter egg cutout of thin wood or plastic, and it had a monogram on it.  They were to be used for labeling Easter baskets or favors. I thought they were cute and it would be an easy thing to make with paper and stamps (or a wood cutout if you had it).

Another fun project is a garland of eggs or chicks.  I have to say, I want to make these, but the way things are going, I probably won't have time. I should mark them down and try to make them ahead for next year. We will see!

~~Heidi~~

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 12:30:03 PM »
Thanks for sharing, Heidi!

I have sometimes stamped on easter eggs using a special food dye ink pad that you wet with water.  I will have to see if I can dig it up.  It is tedious and I don't do all the eggs with it, but it is fun...

I read an article in the Sunday paper a few weeks ago, Heidi. The author was using the shaving cream method to create her eggs (no stamping). She was using various non-food inks & addressed concerns about food safety. Egg shells are slow to absorb lots of things like inks & paints. Her rule of thumb was to consume the art within a few days of their creation. She says there has never been a health porblem & has been doing this for several years.  When in doubt? throw them out or... remove the shell's contents & decorate the shell only.

LOL on the 'saving' an idea. Worth trying, but I usually forget where I stuck the note. ;)
Daniel

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 04:18:29 PM »
I have never stamped on eggs but what a fun idea!

Heidi, I always want to do some of these cute decorative things for some holidays and I never do! I should at least get something going and if I don't finish it in time then at least I will have something new for next year.

The lady I met had done quite a few things. She had taken some mason-like jars and stamped a solid bunny image on the glass with brown stazon and filled it with jelly beans. For the top of the jar she had stamped some eggs and flowers on fabric and tied twine around it.

The other project she had done was some white glass plates she had purchased at the dollar store and stamped a pattern of eggs around the plate with a persons name in the center. A really cute and inexpensive gift.
LeighAnn

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 09:18:30 PM »
I don't have any non-card projects planned for Easter.  But I can remember removing the "filling" of eggs and decorating just the shells when I was younger. 

I'm thinking stamping on empty egg shells and then attaching some ribbon could make some really cute Easter ornaments.
Sarah