Author Topic: Combining 'Scrap' with Stamping...  (Read 1614 times)

Offline Looser

• Stampers
Combining 'Scrap' with Stamping...
« on: March 20, 2015, 12:02:39 PM »
I've mentioned scrap in several of my recent posts & even shared some with a few fellow Inksters lately. So before getting into the meat of this topic, it might be well to explain what scrap is.

Scrap is a specific type of paper ephemera. Originally produced as black & white engravings on sturdy paperstock, they could be colored & cut out for use in a variety of ways. Later, the scrap was chromolithographed to pre-color the images & many were (dry)embossed. Most images were 'stamped out' in sets & could be trimmed with scissors (fussy cut) for use on confections, cards & in scrapbooks.

The majority of my stash came via Artifacts, Inc. who distributed a wonderful array of scrap produced by Mamelok Press Limited. I checked the Artifacts website (not linked here) & don't see scrap in its stock, but Mamelok appears to sell direct online. 

Now to get down to using 'scrap' with stamping...

Given the detail & color of much of the scrap available, it might seem that any stamping would end up taking a 'backseat' on a project. BUT...us lucky stampers today have lots of resources to level our playing field with scrap. We have embossing folders, embossing powders, dies & punches, inks & paints that will allow us to turn a stamp into something that holds its own with (commercial) scrap. In fact, we can create our own scrap!

I'll be sharing more on this topic later & plan to work on a scrap/stamp combo or two to share with you.

That said, however, I'd love to hear about your experience with scrap & stamping. Questions welcome, too! #>
Daniel

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
Re: Combining 'Scrap' with Stamping...
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 09:14:54 AM »
I have to admit, I've never used scrap.  But I'm intrigued.

Thanks for the link.  I definitely saw a few scrap sheets I wouldn't mind adding to my stash. 
Sarah

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 11:24:12 AM »
Thanks, Sarah! I'm still working on--almost done with--2 more pieces for April's Oldies challenge & I'm using scrap on both. Should have them mailable by Monday.

Yeah. Mamelok's scrap is awesome, but... They are in the UK, so I'm not sure about cost for their stuff to the U.S. That said...

I did a quick search for sources of scrap in the U.S. Found two that seem online-shopper friendly. Here are the links:

Victorian Scrap Papers

Blum

Both sites were easy to navigate, show good pics & more. Both also have 'contact us' availability.  O0

You might want to check them out, too.
Daniel

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 09:33:13 AM »
This reminds me of some of the images I have seen at Hobby Lobby that they sell under their jewelry section....I found a link to the person's website of the products like that that I saw at HL: Waterslide transfers

Now I realize these are image transfers and I am assuming scraps are not.... ??? 

~~Melissa :)

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 09:38:50 AM »
Wasnt there a company named Crafty Secrets that had both stamps and this sort of "scrap" product in similar images. 

I can see making a stamped background to use with scrap. I think there are plenty of cardmakers (non stampers) who use this type of thing too.  ScrappyMo from two peas was one of those, I think. 
~~Heidi~~

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 01:02:46 PM »
...Now I realize these are image transfers and I am assuming scraps are not.... ???

Strictly speaking, Melissa, 'transfers'--wetslide or rub-on--are not considered the same as 'scrap'. Some purists (I'm not one) even omit decoupage sheets from the definition of 'scrap'. And even stickers are not considered scrap by many. My view is that almost any of the above can be used as 'scrap' depending on how the artist deals with them.

Wasnt there a company named Crafty Secrets that had both stamps and this sort of "scrap" product in similar images.

That sounds interesting Heidi. I don't know. Maybe another AI does & will post an answer. But you raise a point with this.

Even some folks who like to stamp might prefer to buy a finished scrap piece rather than a stamp--especially if the image isn't one they think they'll use much.

Far as 'made scrap' using a stamp?  The GNOME I used from my March KIAE kit could be considered 'made scrap'. He was stamped on card, colored, cut out & layered on the project. Same for the sunflower. Although embossing is not a scrap requirement, I could have used a stylus to emboss both images & add a bit more surface interest to them.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 01:23:16 PM by Looser »
Daniel