Author Topic: Crafting 'ruts'--What's your take?  (Read 3946 times)

Offline Looser

• Stampers
Crafting 'ruts'--What's your take?
« on: April 11, 2015, 11:43:23 AM »
As I worked on making a project from some of items included in the KIAE kit I got from CraftNerd, I found myself using the same coloring technique on the image that I've used a lot lately. It's the one where I use swipes of lots of crayons to color parts of the image & finish off with a swipe of ink(s)--often DIs--before wiping & burnishing to a satin finish.

I began to question whether I was starting to get into a rut with this technique or simply having a short period where a particular technique &/or materials was being useful.

So I figured we might chat about 'ruts'--getting into them, getting out of them & yadda yadda.

I have a 'few' thots, but I'll do them on another post later. Feel free to ramble around on this topic. Catchya later.
Daniel

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Re: Crafting 'ruts'--What's your take?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2015, 12:48:46 PM »
For me, I think I am in a crafting rut because I can't seem to finish any project.  If I was finished projects but getting "bored" with a technique, I am not sure I would call it a rut, but not sure!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 01:54:21 PM »
As long as I am enthusiastic about what I am creating-all is good by me!   And if I am not happy it is time to try some different. 

I believe repetitive creative work can at times bring comfort and relaxation creative folks...some call it creative therapy!  I think of other crafters who spend days, months and even years repeating a single stitch or pattern and find real joy in their work.  I do not give a thought to repeating a technique a half dozen times or as often as I wish if I am having fun. Sometimes I enjoy a technique more than thinking about the details of making a card...so I add the extra backgrounds to my stash just like many others collect designer paper. 

Sometimes it feels like we treat the use of our stamps like clothing...expecting to share a new images or techniques for each occasion we publish on the same internet site...do others ever feel that way?

Over the years I have gotten involved in many techniques and craft projects and many do not get to the place that I want to complete, keep or give away.  And yet I feel the process of trying, experimenting and exploring can be fun and a great learning experience. Now I try to focus on using more of my limited creative time on activities that work best for me. 

I hope each of our creative journeys brings us to more happy creative moments.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 02:18:20 PM by Far North »

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 03:02:00 PM »
A rut?  I am at a loss for words.  This rut thing you speak of is not something I know anything about.  There is always something new to try or something old to revisit.  I really don't get bored or in a rut....sorry I am no help, again.
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline SWLady

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 09:21:21 AM »
Interesting topic Daniel. I too have been using the same technique lately to color images and do my backgrounds, until of course the Alcohol Inks challenges. I don't feel like it's a rut though. I think it is just something that I enjoy doing and practice makes perfect  :smile:

The rut I get in is how to start a project. I want to do something crafty, but can't come up with an idea for it so instead I do nothing.... I think that's my rut. But then does that qualify as a rut? LOL.

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 10:26:01 AM »
TY for all the posts so far. Each is fun & thoughtful.

For me, a rut has to be self-recognized. By that I mean that (most times) I have to be the one to realize that:

1. I am repeating the same technique(s), using the same material(s) &/or image(s) over & over. or...

2. Getting into a habit that I don't care for (such as Heidi's unfinished projects) BTDT, Heidi.

...Sometimes it feels like we treat the use of our stamps like clothing...expecting to share a new images or techniques for each occasion we publish on the same internet site...do others ever feel that way?

What a great observation, Jan! Yes! What you say is so true. Although I hadn't thot of that as a 'rut', I do now! For me, it's right up there with 'having to do perfect (that only applies to my own work--not that of others).

I believe that every artist has a personal definition for ruts. For me, it is probably when I'm too comfortable with whatever I'm doing. When I realize I'm not challenging myself or a bit afraid of doing something.

I caught a bit of an interview with J.K. Rowling (Harry Potter) on this morning's Today Show. Matt Lauer asked her when she felt 'proudest of herself'. She said "It was when she did something she was afraid of doing". And she also spoke about failure. She said she wished that someone who had successes had told her that failures  were an important part of the equation.

As both a private & public artist, I really do have a sense of what she's saying. Not only is a spectacular failure one of life's inevitablities, but it makes a great story for cocktail parties & memoirs.  ;D
Daniel

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2015, 12:30:03 PM »
I love techniques as you know and I am always finding new ones and going back to old ones. I have all these backgrounds made and ready to go, but I seem to sort of make my cards the same old way. That is my rut and recently I have decided that I am going to take out those backgrounds and do something with them and also use different folds, etc. I always seem to just use the same fold as well.

Stampwilly

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2015, 01:26:14 PM »
How interesting how each of us seems to have a slightly different viewpoint on ruts! 
~~Heidi~~

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2015, 01:36:17 PM »
LOL, Heidi! That's part of why we all share what we share. Right?! O0
Daniel

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2015, 01:40:58 PM »
LOL, Heidi! That's part of why we all share what we share. Right?! O0

Yes, I think so!  But I was just so excited that we all think differently!  lol
~~Heidi~~

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2015, 02:55:26 PM »
I don't know why but I always took "ruts" to be synonymous to "lost mojo"---and I can see how that is not correct so not sure where I got that!......

I never thought about how you could be in a technique rut!  I do think doing the challenges and swaps does help with moving on to other technqiues etc....thus maybe keeping out of ruts from that angle....but this discussion has really brought this idea to light for me and so now I will have to notice the "craft ruts" that I fall into! 

Based off of your reference to perfection and comfort, Daniel, I know I am always in a perfection rut-----but I'm a not sure "perfection" is the correct word---I think it's the wrong word actually ---but what I mean is when I try to "be free" and "just go with whatever happens" in art or crafting, I have lots of fun, but the pieces may not be as "nice and neat"---and I do like "nice and neat" so that's why I'm not sure that "nice and neat" is a rut, but I do want to do more of the "just go with it" crafting too.  So maybe what ever it is that keeps me from "just going with it" is my rut....if that all makes sense.   :o

~~Melissa :)

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2015, 03:30:39 PM »
Your post makes 'perfect' sense, Melissa.  ;D

Daniel

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2015, 09:52:57 PM »
Melissa - I think that lost mojo is a type of rut.  Kinda along the line of SWLady's comment about having trouble getting started.  The type of rut when you just can't seem to get your creative juices flowing.

I think I have a tendency to fall into ruts without realizing it.  Like Daniel using the same coloring technique repeatedly.  Or Stampwilly using the same fold or making her cards the same way.  I definitely fall victim to doing all of that.  But I'm not necessarily sure that a rut is always a bad thing.  As long as you are happy with what you are creating and are enjoying the process, that is the most important thing. 

Course it is always good the shake things up occasionally.  Swaps and challenges are a great way of doing that.  I also find cruising the gallery or blogs helpful for getting ideas to help get me out of my ruts.
Sarah

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2015, 08:24:02 AM »
Great comments.  I agree with a lot of what everyone is saying.

Using the same coloring method for a while doesn't strike me as a rut, for me, of course. I mean, many people may only have one or two types of supplies to color with.  I think using what you have is a good thing.  As a matter of fact, if you move from one coloring technique or stamping technique really quickly, you MAY even possibly lose some creativity that you would have found if you stuck with it. 

So, it really seems quite personal whether one feels in a rut or not!
~~Heidi~~

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2015, 09:42:26 AM »
With some mentioning "fold ruts" I would raise my hand on that "rut"--- ;D

I know I am in a fold rut b/c I only make down-the-middle folds and for some reason do not ever think of other folds for my cards!!!  Then when I see a different fold card here and online I am totally drawn into those cards and think they are so cool! and "why don't I think of that"!

IF I want to shake up my down-the-middle fold, I turn the card to horizontal so it opens up instead of out!  shocking I know!   :o :laughhard:
~~Melissa :)