Author Topic: Adirondack PI----Keep or take back---your thoughts....  (Read 2574 times)

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
Adirondack PI----Keep or take back---your thoughts....
« on: April 13, 2015, 04:54:52 PM »
I found some Adirondack Pigment inks at Tuesday Morning over the weekend----and I was pretty excited b/c last fall I decided I wanted to try their pigment inks.  I have been wanting some pigment inks that were not chalk inks and thought the Adirondack line looked to be not chalk pigment...thus I decided to try Adirondack.

So I get home yesterday, and something reminded me that I thought we all talked about these inks once, so I went to looking and I found (and remembered) that the adirondack line, in both pigment and in dye, are being discontinued by Ranger.....so now I am wondering (since I haven't opened them) if I should just take back the inks and look for another brand of pigment inks (that are not chalk). 

What are y'alls thoughts/what would you do? ---and even recommendations for a solid color pigment ink (not chalk) brand?
~~Melissa :)

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
Re: Adirondack PI----Keep or take back---your thoughts....
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 09:08:04 PM »
Are you concerned that you won't be able to find reinkers for the pads, or do you just want all your pigment inks to be from the same company?  Because if you got the inks at a good price, I'm not sure why you would want to return them.  If they are colors that you really like, you could always pick up reinkers before they are discontinued. 

If you are concerned about having all your pigment ink pads from one company, I have a bunch of pigment inks by Colorbox. They have great colors and they are made in the US.  The only problem is that they take forever to dry.  Versafine is also a pigment ink.  And they give you a very crisp stamp image.
Sarah

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 03:26:42 AM »
It feels to me like we talk about inks lots of times here which I find appropriate since inks are one of our main tools.  For me I do not often stamp on colored paper and love the translucent nature of dye inks and they are great on white paper which I regularly use.  When I want to add a solid image on top of dye ink I usually reach for acrylic paint or archival ink instead of pigment.  Just a personal preference.  I rarely use pigment inks (I mean just a few times a year.)

Melissa -I hope you were able to buy the inks at more than 50% off since that is the sale price this week all M's inks this week.

Since I don't use pigment inks often I am happy with the cat eye ink pads from Colorbox.  They have lots of colors and for storage a lot can fit a lot in a small space.  I do have a set of Ranger's Adirondack pigment inks and they are fine but have a limited range of colors.  Memories is my favorite white ink pad. 

Jennifer McGuire shares a good videos comparing the different types of inks...personally I wish she would define "her favorites" with a standardized rating system such as: ease of using ink pad, coverage, storage, range of colors available, refills etc.  Here are the links for her video in 2013. and in 2014.

Good luck with your selection!...Jan
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 09:25:04 AM by Far North »

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 09:37:40 AM »
Thanks Sarah and Jan--y'all gave me some thinks to think about which is what I was needing---not just for deciding about these particular inks (which when I started this post, that was what I was asking), but y'alls comments has helped me to think about all inks and what I use and how I use them---thus I know I can make a better decision now after pondering those things.

Sarah, I wasn't concerned about keeping inks in the same company brand---I guess my concern was really that if I liked the pad, I wouldn't be able to get another later on (and I wouldn't buy reinkers until I know I like and use the pad often, thus the reinkers would probably be gone by the time I figure that out, lol). 

I did not realize that versafine was a pigment ink!  I have only it in black but I do like it and the coverage.

I hope you were able to buy the inks at more than 50% off since that is the sale price this week all M's inks this week.

Jan this is also what concerned me---they were only 50% off---now when I bought them I did not know that (yes Tuesday Morning tag says it's 50% off but often those are not correct), b/c I wasn't able to check online before buying them (I am one of the few, I assume, that doesn't have internet on my cell phone)----AND I do not know why I did not look at the inks at Michael's!!!  Maybe bc the one I went to did not have many ink pads to look at....but I will check my M's and see what there is! 

I too do not use pigment inks often, but I have always thought it was b/c the ones I had were chalk and that maybe I don't care for the chalky look...I actually thought for a long time that "pigment" = "chalk look"---I have a few powder puff pigment inks and they are not very chalky to mee though they say "chalk inks" on the package.   ???

I really like my red Avery Elle pigment ink---it dries so fast!  The white pigment ink from Avery Elle I got dries slowly, and it is very white on dark CS---and it does smear after it's dry----it truely feels like you're smearing soft chalk---kinda neat if the company was able to do that, but also needs to be noted if you really need an ink not to smear.  I'll have to look into the Memories white ink if I need another one. 

Jan, how do you keep your cat eyes from drying out?  I used to love buying Colorbox cat eyes and the colors!---but they all have dried out to almost completely gone in just a couple years.   :( :'(   

Thanks for the videos--I will be checking them out!!  I noticed in the video that the "Mama Elephant" pigment container looks exactly like the Avery Elle pigment ink containers!   hmm...

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 11:24:24 AM »
Melissa, I noted in another thread that the Avery Elle and Mama Elephant inks are known to be the same.  Even a few of their colors are almost indistinguishable.  Just an FYI. 

Versafine is an oil based pigment ink. I am collecting the cubes of the colors.

My Michaels does not have a lot of inks, but they do carry the Memento Luxe pigment inks which are in line with the Avery Elle type of fast drying. 

Good luck with you decision!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 11:28:14 AM »
I thought M's still carried Colorbox inks too...but certainly not sure and they are moving things once again...LOL!

I store all of my smaller sets of inks in ziplock bags in plastic drawers...and they have been with me 10 plus years.

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2015, 11:36:25 AM »
Oh yes, My M's does carry colorbox dye, pigment and chalk too.  Thanks for mentioning that!

Good idea about putting the little ones in baggies. 
~~Heidi~~

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2015, 11:50:38 AM »
Oh that is what I should had done Jan---put the cat eye's in ziploc bags!  I'm going to double check them and their colors and see which ones still work and also which colors I like if they are still sold...

Thanks Heidi for the recommendation on Memento Luxe!  I'll look into them when I go to M's and I also now remember you mentioning that Avery Elle and Mama Elephant being the same.

Good to know about the Versafine---I always grab it for fine detail.  I'll be looking at their colors. 

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2015, 01:27:24 PM »
Jan, I watched one of Jennifer McGuire's videos and in it she referred to the Hero Arts black ink as Memories Ink---and I noticed on www.stewartsuperior.com that they list Hero Arts as a distributor------but my question to you is when you said that your favorite white ink is Memories white ink, is that the same as Hero Arts 'Unicorn'? or is it a different ink pad?

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2015, 09:00:35 PM »
Great tip about the ziplock, Jan.

Melissa - I don't know about the Memories Ink but I have a Hero Arts unicorn pad.  Other than taking time to dry, I like it so far.
Sarah