Author Topic: Does stamping & cardmaking alter how you appreciate what others send/show you?  (Read 3817 times)

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
What I am always leery of is anything & anyone who uses words like 'should always', 'never', 'must' & such. I'm not doubting that they are well-meaning, but using those kind of words around me is like waving a red flag @ a bull. Now that might be a 'guy thing' (or just my unique response to being told what to do).

What an example? If someone tells me all wheels must be round, I will bust a gut to invent a square wheel that 'works'. :laughhard:
(quote shortened to what I wanted to ramble about)

Imagine my surprise when I read these words coming from your keyboard........I had just been thinking about the "always", "never", and "must" that come out of people's mouths when they are putting a demo video together to go on the youtube.  It is especially funny when in one video they say "I always do this (whatever they are showing) and in the next video in the very same situation with the very same product they do not do what they had explained in the last video that they always do......in my head I always say to them, "so, you always do this huh?  What happens in this situation or that situation, do you still always do that?"  The voices in my head are quite loud some days....LOL.  But I am also very careful when explaining to someone how to do something that I don't do the always because of those voices that scream when I hear it come out of a youtube video.  I wonder if those people who say they always do this are so rigid that they really do always do whatever they are saying they always do.....LOL that was confusing.

I guess I am pretty loosy goosy about my crafting because I can't think of anything I "always" do.  Because sometimes I do it this way and sometimes I do it that way and sometimes I combine things to just mix it up.  OK, where I was really kind of going in this particular ramble was do you suppose this is why some people get into a particular craft and get all the goodies that other people "always" use and then sometimes in a rather short period of time give it up........because they just do what someone tells them to do and they have no idea how to carry that quite basic knowledge into the unknown? 

"Looser: LOL, Sadie,  on the 'less concerned' comment for those unappreciative Philistines.  ;D Having both masochistic & sadistic streaks in my nature, I have been know to pieces made for the heathens. Rarely converts any of them to the ranks of the appreciative, but gives me a chance to indulge myself."

The only thing is that I would rather use the good stuff on a card that someone will love and enjoy instead of someone who just throws it away without even sitting it around a week.  I can be stubborn too but not to the determent of my "good" crafting supplies......LOL  If anyone is going to throw away the "good" stuff I might as well do it myself and not pay to mail it to someone who will just throw it away anyway.......LOL 
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
I do see the point about crafters who say they "always" do something or use something and then later do something else.  It must be a language issue but is worth thinking and trying to be careful about how you use it.

Similarly, "best" and "favorite" can be problems in crafting and across other areas.  I wonder if people who are making videos are just working hard to make them educational and useful, that they do not realize they are doing this?

There are a lot more bests and always and nevers in the scientific forum though, lab safety, etc.

Anyhow, I am sure I do many of those things mentioned and want to think about being more purposeful about them in the future. 
~~Heidi~~