Author Topic: Have you ever had a stamp .......  (Read 1630 times)

Offline Utah Ann

• Stampers
Have you ever had a stamp .......
« on: August 19, 2015, 04:27:55 PM »
That you can't get a clear image of --------- I have tried black memento, black Versifine,  a juicy stamp like JoAnn Craft Essentials, white. 

I am wondering if you have had an experience where brayering might be what I should try next.

When I try to ink, it lays down lines from the edges of the ink.  Never had this before with any stamp. 

I am going to try brayering, but not sure what type of ink to try.

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Re: Have you ever had a stamp .......
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 05:01:32 PM »
Have you tried stamping on a soft surface like a fun foam pad or a magazine?

Can you post a photo of your failed stamping attempt if no one else has any idea. I can't quite picture the problem you are having. 

Good luck Ann!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Utah Ann

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 05:16:49 PM »
I am going to try the stamping on a soft surface and it that doesn't work, will post some of failed attempts.

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 01:56:06 PM »
I second, Heidi's reccomendation. That always seems to help.

I've also heard taking an emery board and gently sanding the stamp a bit if it's not a photopolymer one. HTH :)
LeighAnn

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 12:27:47 PM »
Ann, what kind of a stamp is it--acrylic, photopolymer, rubber?  What are you stamping on--regular cardstock, glossy, something else?  What kind of ink are you using--water-based, oil-based, solvent-based, dye, pigment, hybrid?

Below the stamping pad (foam, magazine, mousepad, etc.) that others have mentioned, you need a hard, firm surface (wood table, kitchen counter).  I use a heavy acrylic cutting board since my Lifetime folding table has too much give to it.

One stamp that I have only stamped well if I stood on it.  No kidding, that worked great!

When I've have stamps that don't stamp well, I start with the least invasive method to try to remedy the problem.  I start with a white eraser and rub it all over the surface of the die and then clean that off.  If that doesn't help, I use a sanding block, the kind you use on shrink plastic, or a fine nail file.  If that doesn't work, I try a very fine grit sandpaper.

Other possible remedies:
When I bought some black rubber stamps, the manufacturer said to stamp the first few times with ColorBox Fluid Acrylic Ink.  They said that would prime the rubber, and after those initial inkings, the rubber would accept all kinds of ink.  I have actually had very good luck stamping with CBFAI when others have failed.

I'm going through Tim Holtz's Creative Chemistry 101 online class, and he gave a tip for working with photopolymer stamps.  (Actually, I think he does this with his rubber stamps too.)  He primes the stamp by stamping first with Archival Jet Black Ink, an oil-based ink.  He lets that dry.  Then he just wipes it off with a cloth until no ink comes off on his finger.  After that the stamp accepts other inks.  He demoed by stamping a photopolymer stamp on plain cardstock before and after priming it with the Archival Ink.  He stamped with Distress Ink.  The before image was splotchy and incomplete; the after image was perfect.  He cleaned the stamp with spritz of water and wiped it with a cloth.  The die was still black, but it was clean.

Tim said that the conditioners in many stamp cleaners actually repel the ink.  That's why he only cleans up with water.

A few participants mentioned that they ink up with embossing ink and then ink up with dye ink when they have a problem.

I hope one of those solutions helps.
Daria 
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 08:33:32 PM by djc »

Offline Utah Ann

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 05:48:24 PM »
Thanks for your suggestion.  I need to find that stamp and try the suggestions.  Currently that stamp is hiding on my desk.

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2015, 02:54:28 PM »
One more suggestion is to turn the stamp upside down, the rubber or raised part facing you, then ink the stamp, lay the card stock on top, hold the card stock with one hand and rub your fingers over it with the other hand.

Hope something works for you! :-\

Stampwilly

Offline Utah Ann

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2015, 07:04:12 PM »
I have yet to try the suggestions - but hope set aside some time soon to try them all and see what goes out best.

Thanks for all of your suggestions.

Offline Yankee

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2015, 07:51:47 PM »
I got a stamp set, and the big flower would not stamp correctly.  I tried everything.  I noticed holding it up to the light that it looked like there was a bip in the stamp.  I wrote a letter to stamp com. And I even sent them the stamp (that way I didn't get angry every time I looked at it)
The co sent me a replacement!  How is that for good co. Service! 
So you could mail it back to them, it isn't doing you any good!
Born on the fourth of July