Author Topic: New stamp toy  (Read 2653 times)

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
New stamp toy
« on: November 20, 2015, 07:49:27 PM »
I don't know how many of you may already own a MISTI, but just incase you are on the fence about it I thought I would share how much I love that stamping tool.  I don't know how much paper I have wasted because I didn't get a good stamp or didn't try a technique because I wouldn't be able to line things up well.  I asked for it for Christmas and my hubby talked me into getting it early. I have done a couple cards so far with it and I totally love it. So much easier than a stamp a ma jig, I don't know how often I wouldn't get a good clean stamp of something and even with the clear stamps I would try to reline it up and it would give me a double looking image or sentiment, this works just great to stamp it again and again until you like the depth of color.  I didn't purchase it for doing multiple cards since I only usually do one of a kind except for Christmas cards, but to get good clean looking stamping and I am very pleased with it.  Just thought I would mention it in case some of you were still thinking about it, and Christmas lists are being made right now :)

Here is a link to the page incase you want to check it out.  http://www.mysweetpetunia.com/

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
Re: New stamp toy
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 11:58:25 AM »
I have one too.  I really like it a lot but I also have read on a couple message boards about the Misti cracking around the hinges and across the front.  I am not sure which ones do the cracking but the maker/owner hasn't really handled it well.  For your reading enjoyment HERE is the 12 page thread on Two Peas Refugees discussing it.  Start at the beginning and go from there.  It starts with glowing testimonials and goes downhill pretty fast when the owner comes in and threatens a user with a lawsuit for copyright violations when she really has only applied for a copyright not actually gotten one.

There was also a large thread over on Splitcoast stampers too but it has been deleted since Sweet Petunia is now a paid advertiser on that website.  There are some interesting things about the Misti out there.  It is also now made in China, which really turns me off.  Like I said I am glad I have one but I will not buy another one after reading about the owner/maker and her attitude.

HERE is a thread on our own board talking about how to make your own Misti using a DVD case, which I know works because I made one, I just need to figure out how to get a small piece of metal so I can use the magnets with it.......you would think that one would be easy since I work in a metal shop......LOL

So anyway have fun using your new Misti, I know I enjoy mine.......  I like the stamping over and over in the exact same place until the image is perfect.....I could never line stamps up that good before to get such a nice stamping.
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 12:06:49 PM »
I think the Misti looks really great, I don't have space for it, though, and the price was too much for me.  Also, yes, I have seen some of the same complaints that Sadie mentioned.  I haven't found one of those dvd cases to make my own, but I might like to try it sometime.  ENjoy it, Connie!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 12:54:33 PM by howdyheidi »
~~Heidi~~

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, 07:53:32 AM »
Oh wow I am in another group where all the ladies have no complaints except one that hers cracked a little bit and she encouraged us to use as much as we could the first 90 days because you can return it, she did hers and has had no problems since, thanks for the links I will be sure to check them out, so sad that companies can take down complaints too, so all you see is the glowing compliments.  Heidi it isn't as big as I thought it would be, that is what was keeping me from using it but I have limited space on my desk and have been able to use it fine.  I did see the ones people have made from DVD cases on You tube but decided to splurge and get one since it was a Christmas gift.

I did not realize it was made in China now, I like when we can buy American that's for sure.  I also kept putting it off because I was worried I wouldn't get good use out of it but so far I have.

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2015, 08:34:06 AM »
Heidi, I read through the twelve pages that Sadie linked.  There is some interesting information about patents and patents pending; and there's a lot of information about DIY stamp positioners, how to work with plastics, and what kind is best, etc.  There's also a link to a DVD case:  Super Jewel DVD Case.

A few people mentioned the Cuttlebug All In One Tool.  Has anyone tried that?

Daria

ETA:
While looking for info on the Cuttlebug All in One Tool, I found this link to DIY Stamp Positioners.  OK.  Now I'm going to go back and check it out.

ETA:
I checked out the video on using the Cuttlebug All in One Tool as a stamp positioner.  I wanted to tell the demo-er about Micropore Tape.  If she'd had that, her cardstock would have stayed in place.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 09:21:11 AM by djc »

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2015, 04:09:41 PM »
I had not heard of the all in one tool, I do have a stamp a ma jig but I even had problems using that, didn't always get it lined up well

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2015, 05:10:10 PM »
Connie can you do me a favor?  Take the black piece of foam out of your Misti and take the bottom piece of graph paper out (if you put one in) and see if your Misti has a bible verse on it.  Mine has one which I had not even seen until I saw it mentioned on one of the other boards.  I am not sure how I feel about a craft tool coming complete with a bible verse printed on it so one cannot remove it.  It is right under the Sweet Petunia that is also printed on the bottom.  I am certainly not anti religion but I am also not someone who puts bible verses on her craft tools........  I am curious to see if the newer ones made by a manufacturer also have the printed on bible verse.

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2015, 07:38:26 AM »
Oh wow I never noticed that before, I guess I have been mainly using clear stamps and I never looked closely to the bottom before. 
I guess it doesn't bother me since I have bible verses up all over my house, but I can see how that could be a problem for some, especially when they don't have the ability to take it off like you said.

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2015, 01:13:40 PM »
I never noticed it either until I read about it on another board.  I have a piece of graph paper under the foam for when I use rubber cling stamps so I never really looked.....LOL. So it seems rather like the LDS baptizing people who aren't LDS after they are dead, sneaking it in where most people wont see it.  I find the thinking and placement rather odd, why not put it where it would be noticed instead of somewhat hiding it where most people wouldn't notice?  Just rambling here, train of thought type of thing.

Thanks for answering my question!

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2015, 09:54:49 AM »
I do think it is neat myself that there is a verse that goes so well with the joy we bring to others by the gift of card making we have been blessed with. Wow I never knew that about the LDS, I had never heard of such a practice before.  Maybe they did it in a place that people could cover it up if they didn't want to see it every time they looked at it, just in case it would offend anyone. Glad you pointed it out :)

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2016, 12:57:43 PM »
I wish they would change the hinges.  I don't think the plastic ones will last that long.

Have you seen the new Mini-Misti?  It has the grid lines on both sides so you don't have to figure out a way to add them yourself, and it seems to be a good size for card makers.

Daria