Author Topic: Finding your artistic style  (Read 1948 times)

Offline Far North

• Stampers
Finding your artistic style
« on: February 06, 2016, 09:56:04 PM »
Artsy Inkers have been known to talk about their artistic style from time-to-time.  So I just wanted to share that a new monthly “challenge” blog is starting called Creative Carte Blanche.  It’s subtitle is “discover and embrace your own artistic style”. 

At CHA the creative team interviewed several artists and asked their advice for crafters who would like to develop their own unique style.  It is an interesting video and while not professional quality I still found it of interest.  Here is the link if you would like to check it out.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 04:07:12 PM by Far North »

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
Re: Finding your artistic style
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 07:51:37 PM »
A lot of them said the same thing, I don't know if I have a real style in my cardmaking because I try to make cards in the style of the person I am making them for, I really don't do any mixed media projects. I enjoy vintage, shabby chic and country/folk artsy stuff to look at

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 01:58:39 PM »
My "style" is all over the place too. I sure wish I could get the shabby chic look down pat though. But, I think if people look at our work they can pretty much guess who's it is, because we all have kind of our own style whether we recognize it or not.

April :smile:

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 02:52:34 PM »
I thought it was a great video.  I do think that when I am having fun crafting, I am doing my style. I don't know the words to define it, and that does bother me to some extent that I don't define it.

And I also agree that I really like Pinterest and watching videos, but I don't even try to copy a style anymore, I use those as a starting point to go my own way with it all.

Thanks for sharing the video! 
~~Heidi~~

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 03:00:45 PM »
PS, I also appreciated the advice not to have to put yourself in one single box, that you are allowed to be in more than one!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Yankee

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2016, 03:01:05 PM »
I don't think that I have a style.  My daughter says I do.
I do tend to make single layer cards, there is always stamping with heat embossing somewhere.
I watch lots of videos and do try and do things that are out of my comfort zone now and than.
Lately I have been using lots of stenciling.
Born on the fourth of July

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2016, 12:45:59 PM »
My take on the interview comments is that my personal style does not necessarily need to match up with the more commonly accepted formal definitions of the type of cards we make such as clean and simple, vintage, etc.  My personal style probably does not come with 1 universal definition. But as I look for common threads I know my favorite work comes with layers of ink and paper, coloring with a wide variety of ink techniques and currently moving to include more watercolor.   

As cardmakers we all try to make cards that will bring a smile to our recipients and sometimes we do that through images and colors we know they like. Some AIs may use their eye for incorporating coordinating printed papers or layers of die cuts while yet others have neat and tidy skills that support their ability to create cards with detailed coloring or one-layer cards while others enjoy finding perfect embellishments. And some enjoy creating uniquely engineered card shapes and styles of card openings while others create wonderful layouts without ever looking at a sketch.

The Internet does bring us a world of information but when it feels like too much it is wonderful to know our favorite ways to create. Once I defined 2-3 pieces to my personal style I have enjoyed that it gives me more direction to spend more of my time and money.

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2016, 01:31:37 PM »
Wasn't able to hear/see the interviews, but that's ok--I like the topic & have run into it many times over the last 20+ years with both pro & non-pro crafters/artists.

When it comes to style we all have one--we may not recognize it, tho' That's why it's fun & useful to hear from others that they 'recognize' a Jan, Heidi, Pug, Daniel work. Happened for me early in my pro career & I was savvy enough to ask those folks "how do you know I did it?". That feedback was an important stepping stone for me--like having a 'brain trust'.

It allows us to add that to our brain as useful info. That said, I've found that 'defining' an individual style based on what is the prevailing list of types in any craft/art category is a potentially 'slippery slope'. Used to work as a 'focus start', it can be helpful. Used as a "this is my style" it can limit & even de-rail our 'style'.

In short (I know. Too late! ;D) our style is trying to find us just as much as we are seeking to find it. And furthermore... The more we explore our individual abilities without focusing on style; the more likely it is that we will know it when finds us. ;)
Daniel

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2016, 02:40:15 PM »
That is interesting how we can recognize each other's work in the gallery and so on now. 

I am going to think more about that question, how do I know it was ____'s work? 

Didn't we also discuss before how viewing a lot of a certain crafter or a certain style really starts to influence your own crafting a lot?  I wonder if this is a good reason to look at lots of different styles.  Starting here at AI is a great way to look at different styles, I think :).

Great discussion, thanks for starting this thread and for everyone's input!
~~Heidi~~

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2016, 05:19:17 PM »
Well heck, I have been trying to ignore this discussion because I really truly do not think I have a style.  I have many styles, I have many techniques I can do well but I still have many that just don't feel comfortable or I don't seem to find that special place where the project looks finished and good.  So those styles I still try but many times the end result goes in the waste basket.  I think sometimes people confuse style for a technique that they do well and feel comfortable doing.  I can't for the life of me define someone's style.  I can define the technique that someone uses most often that comes across into many of their projects, but style is illusive to me. 

I couldn't even define a clothing designers style, because they all cross over from casual to dressy to loose to tight.  There aren't even many clothing designers anymore who follow one style, one cut of the cloth, to make all their clothing look the same style.  Maybe we have lost "style". 
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2016, 07:36:09 AM »
I too found the video interesting.  I thought there was some good advice for just having fun and exploring--maybe even to recapture the elusive mojo although that wasn't the purpose.  However, I wondered why artists felt it necessary to give themselves a label, to pidgeon-hole themselves in one definable style. 

I have to admit there was a time I proudly thought I didn't have a particular style.  I love so many different styles even if I didn't make them myself.  Quite a while ago, I was in a fun group that had regular swaps.  We mostly made ATCs-sometimes many of them to swap with as many people.  One time someone told me her mother enjoyed looking through the pages of her ATC book and could always pick out mine.  Hmmm.  In those days, an ATC meant using collage and various techniques.  Still her mother could pick out mine.  Another time, on Two Peas, someone asked us to look at our galleries to see if we discerned a style.  (Was that you, Daniel?)  Oh, yeah.  Everything I made had one or two mats and very few embellishments  (often three pearls or crystals).  I liked trying different techniques, but still my cards had an underlying similarity.  Nowadays, I enjoy going to workshops when I can.  While I usually like the cards we make, I often say they are not something I would ordinarily make.  When I show them to my son, he usually says, "I prefer your usual style."  So much for not having a particular style.

No matter how much I love more elaborate cards, I almost breathe a sigh of pure love when I see a clean and simple one that is lovely or funny.  (You have all probably sighed over Birgit Edblom's or Loll Thompson's cards.  Right?)  I love to look at cards on the internet.  Lately, I haven't made much of anything at all, and I've considered just copying other people's cards to get me back in the groove.  Even when I CASE a card, the card I make doesn't turn out quite the same way the original does unless I'm at a workshop where they provide the exact same materials.  Even then, I end up making some changes (or mistakes).  lol. 

Thank you for the interesting discussion.
Daria

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2016, 06:10:39 PM »
I really appreciate hearing your thoughts on this topic!  You have given me lots of food for thought. I too know I can’t recognize every AI’s work in the gallery.

I would like to think art/crafts remain special from commercial products because for me it is a way to share a part of myself with others. 
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 07:57:35 PM by Far North »