Author Topic: Crafty Chat at Online Card Classes website  (Read 6849 times)

Offline Far North

• Stampers
Crafty Chat at Online Card Classes website
« on: April 28, 2016, 10:43:31 AM »
If you have ever taken an a class  at Jennifer McGuire & Kristina Werner’s Online Card Class site you probably received an e-mail last week regarding their new site.

While exploring the new site I found a new feature on the blog–called Crafty Chat! It has been designed to share a video of a candid conversation with some leading designers in the papercrafting industry on a different weekly topic.  This feature is set-up on a blog so you can get their direct with this address.

The 1st discussion is with Laura Bassen – talking about how to find and maintain your crafty comfort zone – that place where you feel confident that your skills can shine and you can get to know and thrive in your own style. 

2nd discussion-Photography with Debby Hughes of Limedoodle Design and the discussion focused on good lighting for card photography and  what makes a good photo.

Hearing the broadly different views made me think that our own follow-up discussions might be interesting.  So please post your comments here if you get a chance to watch the chatty conversations.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 10:14:09 PM by Far North »

Offline Iring

• Stampers
Re: Crafty Chat at Oneline Card
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 12:02:38 PM »
Thanks Jan! 

I'll try to listen sometime today and comment here.  Good idea.  Thanks for sharing!
Cindi

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 07:47:47 PM »
Ok, I listened to the first one with Laura Bassen.

I liked the easy flow of conversation and really enjoyed Laura Bassen.  Crafty chat is a very fitting name for the series!   I had a little bit of trouble figuring out who opened the video.  I recognized Kristina Werner and Jennifer McGuire and I could tell from the conversation that the one they were semi-interviewing must be Laura Bassen.  I had to go back and listen again and there's a very fleeting moment where the sort of moderator, I guess, introduces herself ... and even then I didn't quite catch her name.  I thought she said Lydia Siedler at first.  (Turns out it's Lydia Fiedler, of Understand Blue).  Did anyone else miss that?

Two points I found particularly interesting
1.  find your source of inspiration, and spend your time there
Hey, didn't you start a thread on that subject recently Jan?
Jennifer McGuire was talking about how she doesn't like to look at blogs, but loves to flip through Instagram.  Laura likes looking through feeds of blogs. Others like Pinterest or Youtube.  With soooo much info and inspiration out there and no possible way to see it all, it seems good advice to find what you like and not feel bad about skipping the rest.  I know I used to look at Kristina Werner's blog regularly and Jennifer's almost as much, and I participated in the Hero Arts challenges for awhile ... but lately I'm not looking at blogs much at all.   I like to look at cards on Pinterest on my cell phone whenever I get a chance or even lying in bed at night - bad habit, don't do what I do!  Ha!

2. practice, and enjoy it!
I thought it was a great point, that if you play a musical instrument, you practice.  Why wouldn't you practice if your hobby is stamping?  (I found Laura's demo of how her friends stamp amusing!  Ha!  Plunk the stamp down and pick it right up quick!)  It was helpful to hear them say it takes perseverance.  Yay!  It's not just me!  Sometimes I wonder why, as long as I've been stamping, I still mess up!  I think I need more play time.  Practice when I don't need a birthday card in an hour!

Thanks for the link Jan.  I'd love to hear what you and others think.
Cindi

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 10:10:23 PM »
Sorry I didn’t introduce Lydia.  I think she did a fabulous job of moderating the discussion and was glad Jennifer and Kristina are using another person to manage that task.  Lydia is very active at splitcoaststampers and uses the screen name UnderstandBlue there.  She helped start the Mixed Ability weekly challenge which I actively played in for a year and she continues in a host role for that challenge.

Discussion w/Laura…Yes this discussion included thoughts about what social media is helpful or not to each participant….this was far more helpful to me that the poll I did-lol…I think because the discussion allowed each to discuss specifically what works for them.  I have only used Instagram once or twice…I think I will spend a little more time there.  I scan blogs very fast but find it frustrating when only a video is provided and I have to wade through my servers slow feed when I only want to know 1 specific point.

Cindi, I too enjoyed the practice discussion. I have always loved playing with new products and learning new ways to make them work for me.  I do consider that a lot of fun. But I still get frustrated that I am often the last one playing. 

Personally I really enjoyed # 2 discussions more since Debby Hughes focus was on photography…not a topic we have talked about much.  She offered some terrific tips.  It was interesting to hear about folks using cell phones since I don’t have a camera on my phone (mostly used for videos).

Thanks Cindi for sharing your thoughts!  I too hope others will share their thoughts.  I think I will be visiting more of these discussions.  I think they are posting new ones on Mondays…but I have not heard if that is a long term plan.

...Jan

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 11:09:26 PM »
It's really late, but I think I'd better post before I forget what I watched!

I liked the 2nd (photography) video, but when I noticed how long it was going to be I paused it and got some crochet out!  Also, although I wish I was a better photographer, I don't love it, so I didn't pay as much attention I guess.  I still got some great tips! 

1.  Natural light - I've been trying this lately.  I do like taking pictures near a window, or even outside, but then, I'm kind of a late night crafter so especially during "fests" I'll just do my best under lamp light and call it good enough!
     Today I tried taking a picture of a crochet baby hat near the window and still felt like I couldn't capture the true color of the hat.  Why is that?!!  It's an icy blue green yarn called Glacier, and it looks like a dull baby blue.  Haven't posted it online yet so maybe it will look better than the quick peek I took on my phone/camera.
2.  Something I hadn't thought of that I think I will try is using the camera timer so that the camera stays steady and I'll get better focus.
3.  Did you catch that tip about using the same design principles in your photos as you do in your cards?  for example, rule of 3rds, another place to use the design rules Heidi is teaching us in her series.
4.  I liked Kristina's tip about using background paper (she uses some beautiful Paper Source gift wrap) bigger than 12x12.  Enabler!  Now I'm anxious to go look at their gift wrap.  They have beautiful papers, and envelopes!  That's where I got pretty gold shimmer envelopes for my DD's wedding invites last year. 

I'm enjoying these chats and I'm looking forward to the next video!
Cindi

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016, 11:50:53 PM »
I also liked the idea of making a steady surface for the camera with a stack of books if you don't have a tripod.

Cindi as for your crocheted baby hat- Kristina described how her pictures were capturing the color from her clothing....that's the 1st I have heard that it happens. I need to listen again to that description.  If anyone else watches this video I when appreciate knowing at what time that is discussed...THANKS in advance!

As for background presentations I think products work well for telling the story and works best on a blog where the picture can be larger.  When background paper is used behind a card I sometimes have a hard time determining where the card begins but I find other objects can help clarify that.

...Jan

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2016, 07:40:26 AM »
Thanks for the reminder!  I was wearing a navy blue shirt yesterday when I took a picture of my Glacier crocheted hat.  Hmmm, maybe that's where the blue came from?!
Kristina said she threw on a black bath robe while photographing white cards ... I'm wondering if white would be better.  I could be my own reflector!  Haha!
Cindi

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2016, 07:44:54 AM »
I haven't gone to Kristina's site or Limedoodle in a while ... I'll have to notice the backdrops and props more.  I've just seen the beautiful papers at Paper Source and was using "backdrop" as an excuse to go get some!  Without even looking at Kristina's blog.  And all those years I resisted jumping off the bridge just because my friends did!!  Now I'm so easily swayed!
Cindi

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2016, 02:20:47 PM »
Reminder ... there is a new crafty chat up!  This week's is with Julie Ebersole.  I've heard her voice on videos, but I've never seen her.
This video was so much fun!  A giggly crafty chat.  I found the video, it was already past bedtime ... knew I should wait and watch it the next morning, but started it anyway and then couldn't stop!

They talked quite a bit about Julie's clean and simple style.  It sounds like that is a complete misnomer.  It doesn't sound that simple! 
It was funny for me to hear that Julie does not like messy, to the point of not wanting her fingers dirty and spreading stickles with a piece of cardstock rather than her finger.  I have no problem sticking my fingers in stickles, intentionally or not!

Oh, and the section where Jennifer talks about an appearance on the Carol Duvall show, back in the day, was a hoot!

Cindi

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2016, 10:29:59 AM »
I thought I had put the online Crafty Chat on my calendar but it never got there and so it was totally off my radar.  So many thanks Cindi for posting the reminder!  Following are my take away points.

I have watched Julie’s blog for many years.  Most of her cards have lots of white space.  During the chat she shared her process of creating a CAS card includes: selecting the focal image, determining how to anchor the image, and creating a visual triangle that carries the eye through the design. She feels balance is the most critical design element and a small placement adjustment can make a big difference in the card. To help with balance she uses odd numbers of elements. And recommends walking away before adding the last element and coming back to reconsider its position or if it is needed.  She has a few tried and true layout designs that she feels can be repeated over and over.

Another discussion was on feeling self-pressured to create a WoW card.  The panel felt if the focus can be on just the card recipient it greatly diminishes the pressure.  Julie described cards she makes for a specific person as having more feeling and connection attached to them and she feels they are often her best work.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 06:27:09 PM by Far North »

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2016, 11:11:04 PM »
Did you pick up the part about stamping with condensed milk?  I remember when that came out, and I thought NO WAY!  That would never work in FL, you'd have ants for sure.  Doesn't it seem it would stick to the envelope?  Did anyone ever try it?  And kool ade?  Was that used for scratch 'n sniff?
Cindi

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2016, 12:38:39 PM »
don't forget there's a new Online Card Class Crafty Chat.  This week it's with Shari Carroll on color. 
At some point Jennifer McGuire said "less is really more" in regards to too many supplies ... I'm trying to get to that point but it's so hard to get rid of stuff!

I got a few tips ... one from Jennifer is to swatch out your colors when you buy a new medium.  For example inks, they are not really the same color on the lid as the way they look stamped on paper, so she creates a swatch chart.  When she sits down to stamp, she looks at her swatch charts first, not the ink pads. 

The other tip is that it sounds like Shari gives color combos on the Simon Says Stamp blog ?  I need to go check that out.  Oh, and it sounds like some of them have favorite distress ink combos.  That would be helpful to have some "go to" combinations that you know you like.
Cindi

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2016, 01:04:22 AM »
These are lengthy videos but I do enjoy getting a little more insight into how these ladies create card art.  Yesterday life was so busy I broke my viewing into 3 different times.  It was interesting to hear that Hero Arts brought Jennifer onto their team to bring stamping into the scrapbooking world…even though she did not have stamping experience. 

I am one who does not find choosing colors easy.  Names of colors are meaningless to me unless I see the color.  So I began a swatch book when I only owned a few distress inks.  But now I find the the distress in color wheel by Britta Swiderski helps me to decide combos a whole lot faster than comparing swatches.   

I believe Shari's color combo's are mostly for SSS inks.  Last winter their was a distress ink set that someone kindly shared here.

Organizing supplies was a significant portion of the conversation.  I appreciated Lydia mentioning that she is finding small drawers most helpful.  I have not heard this comment previously yet I too am finding a good number of small drawers helpful. 
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 01:08:25 AM by Far North »

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2016, 09:19:39 AM »
It was kind of funny that the conversation was supposed to be about color, and then Shari didn't say a whole lot about it, except that her favorite color right now is gray!  I did like the colored pencil conversation.  They are a nice portable medium, they last almost forever, they are a supply I'll definitely keep.
Cindi

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2016, 08:01:45 PM »
I agree Cindi.  I too feel it was a sparse conversation with Sheri about color. Perhaps she was not comfortable being defined as a color expert.  She did describe settling into a monochromatic color palettes at Hero Arts several times until being told to move on to another color.  I always enjoyed her videos at HA often showing the steps of a color technique...I wish she had been asked what were her favorites techniques and her personal involvement in creating new techniques. Since she selected the color palette for SSS inks...I would have liked to know how she made the selections that would encourage the customers to buy. 

The hangouts I have watch previously were all associated with classes.  So the students chat with the instructor. Initially it is live so the viewing audience can text in additional questions. The Online Chats are so different with the "experts" chatting with one another and the rest of us listening into what feels like a private conversation.  Of course I multi-task while listening but it feels like the use of a lot of time for a few nuggets of information.  And of course I have never bought a People Magazine either...so perhaps it's just my take. :smitten: