Author Topic: WF15 Doodle  (Read 8842 times)

Offline Far North

• Stampers
WF15 Doodle
« on: February 17, 2015, 02:09:03 AM »
Welcome to Winterfest 15 Feb 21-March 1!
YEA, the time has finally arrived.

Gallery Title and link-WF15 Doodle

Doodle To It
Winterfest Challenge---create an inked/painted card background.  Select either a graphic or realistic stencil design for a focal image.  Outline the image with a black pen and add doodles and texture lines to complete the stenciled image. Embellish as you wish.

Background-Doodling can be a great warm-up activity to get your creative juices flowing before other projects. Note, this is not a drawing..just doodle in some lines or patterns into your stencil outline. Keep your efforts fun and relaxing.

No stencil that you feel will work?…be creative to find another option. Keep it simple by selecting a solid stamp or one with only an outline or try a clipart program on your computer.

I am not an avid drawer or even doodler.  It took me a few trials to determine the best combination of lines.  So my suggestion is to begin on plain paper.  If you need some inspiration for doodle lines here is one option for you.

In order to help you keep this a simple card I ask that you please make a new card for this challenge alone (no combinations) and post a photo in the gallery with the keyword… WF15 Doodle.  Then please leave a comment here about your experience and share any beginning trials you would like to share as well as a link to your card in the gallery.

All participants will be included in a random drawing for a RAK at the close of this challenge.

Your comments on other Winterfest entries are greatly appreciated.

Any questions?…please post them on this thread.

Have fun!...Jan
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 02:16:21 AM by Far North »

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Re: WF15 Doodle
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 07:26:31 AM »
This is a fun challenge!

I do have a question. I know that you use an Elegant Writer pen because we discussed this one other time.  I was wondering what thickness of that pen you recommend? I saw them at the craft store, but there were too many choices!  I may just use a gel pen for this, but if I am out, I might choose to pick up an Elegant Writer.

I also just got some clearanced Distress paints, so this is a nice way to get them out and make a quick background!

Thanks for hosting!
~~Heidi~~

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2015, 07:29:08 AM »
This sounds like lots of fun, Jan!

Love your ATC! Thanks for hosting  O0
LeighAnn

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2015, 08:30:13 AM »
Cool challenge Jan!  I will admit this might be a challenge for me as doodling for zintangle I find hard sometime. I will look at your link though for help.

My question is can you tell me what the difference between a graphic and realistic stencil is?  I guess I was thinking graphic was a picture and realistic was a photograph but then we are talking about a stencil so now I know that I probably wrong.....  :-\ ???
~~Melissa :)

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2015, 08:51:22 AM »
I've got a question, do you want us to keep the card to a single layer?  I can't tell if your bird is the same layer as your tree branch. 

And I have a stencil that was racked to me after Inktoberfest that I haven't had a chance to use yet that will be perfect for this.  O0

Melissa - I would think that a realistic stencil would be a more detailed stencil, while a graphic one would be less detailed so that you are really getting more the shape and not a lot of specific details. 
Sarah

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2015, 10:53:11 AM »
I was wondering what thickness of that pen you recommend? I saw them at the craft store, but there were too many choices!  I may just use a gel pen for this, but if I am out, I might choose to pick up an Elegant Writer.

Heidi, I bought the XF Black Elegant Writer.  Kathryn indicated that black is the only color that works in this manner.

Melissa, If folks want to tangle for this challenge that is perfectly okay.  But unfortunately I do not find Zentangle relaxing when trying to even repeat precise lines.  So I hope others will find free formed doodling easier. 

Sarah, I hope players will keep their cards 1 layer when possible with the focus on the stenciling and doodling.  However, I know that we all experience "issues" as I did with the bird >:( and really would like an alternative to starting over.  Pop-up dots with a new bird on top worked for me.  No worries.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 11:27:55 AM by Far North »

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2015, 11:39:58 AM »
Jan, thanks for answering my questions.  And I have to say I am glad that this is a new way to do sketching that is not zentangle.  I feel the same way about it not being relaxing. Although it does look great (and as an aside, I noticed that the craft stores have a lot of books available on that!)
~~Heidi~~

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2015, 12:10:32 PM »
Sorry for the confusion regarding my loose use of the terms realistic and graphic.  The point I should have made since I only shared 1 example is that any stencil can be used. 

Sidebar information (not needed for challenge)--when making cards I try to use a variety of tools and products. I generally organize my stencils, dies and embossing folders into categories so I don't have to search all the choices. My topics don't exactly match true art definitions but for now they work for me.
My topics include:
Special occasions-birthdays, holidays, Christmas
Realistic-nature, people, animals and items that I can generally identify
Graphic-chevrons, circles, lines, patterns, mosaic etc
Abstract-designs like the sample Sadie provided for her challenge

I have started writing the date I use my stencils/embossing folder on them so I can keep rotating their use.

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2015, 12:55:13 PM »

I have started writing the date I use my stencils/embossing folder on them so I can keep rotating their use.

That's a good idea.  I'm doing something similar with my Twinkle H2Os - I'm marking the ones I've used in an attempt not use the same colors over and over, while never using other colors.
Sarah

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2015, 01:15:17 PM »
Those are great ideas Jan and Sarah to mark your products so you can rotate them out. 

Jan, sharing your categories totally sheds light for me on what you meant and really clears it up!  TY for sharing and for also explaining.  I am glad that this is more relaxed than zentangle.  I too see so many books in stores now for the subject.  This morning I got an email advertisement for Interweave and it was about "Mandalas"---never heard of them before....

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2015, 04:49:05 PM »
Jan, our BG can be anything we create right?  So for example, I could try the smooth technique again that LeighAnn had for the ATC challenge?  It is just one of the ideas I have for a BG but wanted to check first....

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2015, 05:05:55 PM »
Yes, you can choose to create any background you would like.

Offline CaribbeanGirl

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2015, 10:51:08 PM »
This will really be fun!! Great challenge!! O0
Warning: Easily Distracted By Glitter

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2015, 08:29:42 AM »
~~Heidi~~

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2015, 08:56:47 AM »
Terrific card Heidi and fun playful doodles. And your background is wonderful with your images.  Thanks for playing!